Sunshade recommendations for front windshield? 2016 CX-5

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
These 100 degree summer days are killing me in my new CX-5, especially with the black interior. My previous car had tan interior so I assume that made a huge difference in temp. I'm really glad right now I opted for the moonroof package to vent out the hot air as soon as I get in the vehicle.
Any recommendations for what sun shade I should get for the front windshield? I have a 2016 Touring with no sensors. I've looked on Amazon and found a few different options: there's the Mazda OEM sunscreen that's the most expensive at $63. Weathertech has one for about $60. There's a Covercraft shade for $50, and a Heatshield brand for about $47. Theres also cheapy cardboard accordion/foil ones at Walmart that I assume wont last very long...but at about $5 you could just buy one every summer I suppose.
Which one should I get? I want something that fits the window well and is easy to put up and take down quickly. Also one that folds or rolls up easily.
I'm sort of leaning toward the OEM or Covercraft because they fold rather than roll up for storage. I assume that will be less of a hassle.
Thanks for any advice.

I have the Covercraft sunshade, it fits extremely well and is high quality. The interior still gets hot, but the dashboard/steering wheel stay cool enough to touch immediately when entering. Before having the Covercraft, I wouldn't be able to grip the wheel for minutes due to the heat.

And yes, the ones that fold are so much better than the ones that roll up. I had a roll up one for a previous car and it never stayed flat when opened, it always wanted to curl back up.

Last edited:
I got from ebay in 2012 for my 2013 and still use it for my 2015. It's a fitted shade ill see if I can find it.

I just went to Walmart and got a silver folded one for about $14. I cut the opening for the mirror and it has worked fine for two seasons.

I have the covercraft one mentioned above.It comes in a few colors.I got the silver one.It was about 47 bux delivered over 2 years ago.Expensive but worth it to me after putting up with the cheaper foil covered foam/cardboard ones.As mentioned,it's rigid and the back side on mine is a dark gray felt.It's also thick enough to actually have some insulation value to it.Holding up well and if it lasts a few more years it'll get replaced with another one like it.

We inherient an OEM thick folding sunshade from a 1998 Mercedes ML350 and it fits almost perfectly. I was surprised the windshield of a compact CUV nowadays is a little bigger than then a mid-sized SUV!

But on other vehicles we use those light-weight shining reflective foil folding sunshade. This type of sunshade is cheap, can cut to fit if necessary, and the most effective to reflect the heat out! We've tried many types and can definitely tell this type of sunshade can make you feel several degrees cooler temperature inside the cabin! The drawback of course is it's out of shape and becomes "soft" really fast and hard to keep it straight up against the windshield. But since it's cheap, you can always get a new one and cut to fit again if you're not satisfied the look.

The OEM type thick folding sunshade is big and heavy when you store it. We always have a little hard time trying to find enough space to fold it and throw it into the back seat area in the CX-5. Another thing on Mazda OEM sunshade, that I saw at least one person was complaining its edge scratched the dash on the CX-5. But it's not happening from our Mercedes sunshade although the design and material look the same.

Another vote for Covercraft. I have a silver one for my 2016, and it fits well. I used a Covercraft for my last vehicle (Mazda6), it lasted the entire 5 years I had the vehicle. You pay a little more, but great quality that will last.

I have the Covercraft sunshade, it fits extremely well and is high quality. The interior still gets hot, but the dashboard/steering wheel stay cool enough to touch immediately when entering. Before having the Covercraft, I wouldn't be able to grip the wheel for minutes due to the heat.

Same here. A bit pricey but worth it.

Update - I ended up getting the blue metallic Covercraft sunshade this week. So far I'm loving it. Its easy to put up in the window and folds back down quickly. It fits the window perfectly. Also its thick and insulated foam-board inside, I think that makes the biggest difference in lowering the interior temp of a parked car. The back is also fully covered in soft felt so it wont scratch the dash while you're taking it down. I definitely notice a difference in temp when I get in now. Managed to win it new on eBay around $37, which is a great deal because Amazon's price is $50. A small price to pay for not sweating and burning your hands on the steering wheel during summer. Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:
No one has the OEM one? that's the one I'm considering.

I have a feeling the OEM is made by Covercraft and they just slap the mazda logo on the front. Both are nearly identical in quality, but the OEM costs more.

Back