Sunroof Delete

Abhainn

:
Protege5
Hey guys, I just purchased my second P5, this time with a sunroof (yay) and I bought it knowing it was leaking. I’m considering deleting the sunroof all together instead of pulling the entire headliner down to fix the tubing, especially considering I won’t really be using it (just added weight to me) I was just wondering if anyone out there has done this yet? Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

In some cases, you may need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner without damaging it? So, if you do have to go to that extent repairing the sunroof components may be better than replacing the glass with a solid panel.
You may want to talk to both a body shop that specializes in custom builds and also a good auto upholstery shop maybe one might have a better and easier solution.

Upvote 0
In some cases, you may need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner without damaging it?

No way. Whomever told you that is completely wrong. I've replaced plenty of headliners in all kinds of different cars, and none of them have anything to do with the windshield.

Upvote 0
What I said was that sometimes you need to remove the windshield so as not to damage the headliner.

I am not sure how many MAZDA headliners you have removed but maybe before you state someone is "completely wrong" check into this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Show me one single Mazda procedure that has a step that instructs you to remove the windshield before you remove the headliner. Just one.

Upvote 0
Show me one single Mazda procedure that has a step that instructs you to remove the windshield before you remove the headliner. Just one.
I think you are missing the point I said and you can read it above "In some cases, you may need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner without damaging it?"

Many services procedure has you folding the headliner to remove it through the doors or hatch areas of vehicles. This can and does many times damage the headliner. You should know this as you said you have replaced so many?

It was an advisory comment based on my having changed many headliners in my past just like you! I am not sure why you want to argue the point. I would want to know all the pitfalls that may happen doing any project new to me?

Upvote 0
I think you are missing the point I said and you can read it above "In some cases, you may need to remove the windshield to remove the headliner without damaging it?"

Many services procedure has you folding the headliner to remove it through the doors or hatch areas of vehicles. This can and does many times damage the headliner. You should know this as you said you have replaced so many?

It was an advisory comment based on my having changed many headliners in my past just like you! I am not sure why you want to argue the point. I would want to know all the pitfalls that may happen doing any project new to me?

And exactly how many times have you personally removed a windshield to replace a headliner? I seriously want to know the answer to this.

Upvote 0
And exactly how many times have you personally removed a windshield to replace a headliner? I seriously want to know the answer to this.
There is no real point to this question because my answer will only serve your own opinion that it could not be a possibility. However, in the interest to show some degree of doing, I have done it twice on my own personal cars and both times was to save the headliner from damage. Now you want to ask me how many windshields I have replaced? hahahahaha? So many I couldn't even begin to count.

Now really can we move on with the thread and accept that you think it NEVER needs to be done and I only said might? And that at least between you and I have needed to do it.

Upvote 0
Now you want to ask me how many windshields I have replaced? hahahahaha? So many I couldn't even begin to count.

Probably because you keep pulling them for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and you're breaking them.

To the OP: don't listen to this guy. There is literally no reason you need to pull your windshield to drop your headliner. He's needlessly scaring you, and I can't for the life of me figure out why he's doing that, nor even what the hell he's talking about.

Here is the factory service manual pages for your Protege to remove the sunroof.

One of the steps is to remove the headliner. Here are the pages for that. No need to touch the windshield at all.

The entire FSM for your car can be found here.

Upvote 1
Probably because you keep pulling them for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and you're breaking them.

To the OP: don't listen to this guy. There is literally no reason you need to pull your windshield to drop your headliner. He's needlessly scaring you, and I can't for the life of me figure out why he's doing that, nor even what the hell he's talking about.

Here is the factory service manual pages for your Protege to remove the sunroof.

One of the steps is to remove the headliner. Here are the pages for that. No need to touch the windshield at all.

The entire FSM for your car can be found here.
theblooms what I don't really like is when there is a member that does not read completely what is posted. Then you insult me by saying I don't know what I am talking about and insinuating trying to scare a member? And then try to artfully pull it around to the OPs exact application to defend your responses and to disregard a simple caution and one possibility of what might be needed to do a successfully job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread is about deleting the sunroof, not about whether or not you might need to remove the windshield. Disagreements happen but don't let them get out of hand. Always remember to keep it friendly and on topic (it's ok to "Agree to Disagree"). Now let's get this thread back on track, thanks!

Upvote 1
Down here we just use silicone to seal them off. I stick to cleaning the seal and using silicone lube to make sure it sits right in the roof. I haven't had one yet that leaked after getting the drain and channel around the glass cleaned.

Upvote 0
interesting.....was the bannable material removed?

the vinyl wrap idea seems simplest. being in a bakable area 9 months of the year, glad mine has no skylight. people need to be staring out the windshield anyway, not staring up at the clouds, lol......

OP, good luck with repair and I second the idea of removing the headliner if that's the path you choose. I replaced my rear view mirror with homelink/maplight/compass/temp/auto dimming one and had to run sensor and pwr wires across top inside headliner to get to pillar and the only thing holding up headliner was visor and rr view up by windshield. the seal for windshield was not involved with headliner at all. might be on some cars but isn't on this one. that being said, after removing all you need to free headliner from the ceiling.....there is a big ole hatch opening on the back of the car and seats that lay down that should give you plenty of room to turn at angle enough to get out without damaging it. might take 2 people but still doable easy enough. Just go thru service manual link and follow what it says. it will be tedious but worth it IMO. You can do it....let us know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
Lol and how did the vinyl wrap stop leakage?

The sunroof has a weather seal around it, but it isn't 100% waterproof.
There is a drip pan under the glass that catches any drips and feeds it into drains in all four corners of the drip rails.

Those drains can plug up with dirt and crap, then water starts falling on your head.

You can try to clear the drains but it is a lot of work to get to them so instead, you just seal the sunroof shut with silicone, vinyl wrap or duct tape.
Duct tape can fix anything. Lol

IMG_20220816_104340.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-104753_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Upvote 0
Back