STI/EVO Brake Conversion: Anyone looked into this?

baconbitz

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
I've been throwing a lot of ideas around for my car and thought about this. The 240 crowd has been able to use STI or Evo brakes by using a bracket to adjust the placement of the caliper. Has anyone looked into this or done it before? You can pick up a full set of STI Brembo calipers for $700 or less and pick up some pads and STI rotors for a couple hundred more. Much easier on the pocket book than a BBK.

Give your thoughts and opinions. Especially you guys that know brakes. If anyone has easy access to a set of STI Brembo's we could get a bracket made for pretty cheap I would think.

how can this work? you would have to use the msp rotors unless they have the same lug pattern 5x114.3 i belive. and if the rotors were the same size you would have to make two plates to move the caliper or get them to bolt up. so pay a mechine shop to make those. i would think i would not be worth it by the time you got done making the brackets and such.

how can this work? you would have to use the msp rotors unless they have the same lug pattern 5x114.3 i belive. and if the rotors were the same size you would have to make two plates to move the caliper or get them to bolt up. so pay a mechine shop to make those. i would think i would not be worth it by the time you got done making the brackets and such.

HATER!! :p j/k

They are both 5x114.3 (evo and sti) So the rotors will work no problem... It will be the ofsett from your hub to the caliper that will be the only issue. If you put the rotor on the hub with the caliper resting on the rotor measure from the holes on the hub to the holes on the caliper and the offset.. Should work out nicely, I have been waiting for a set of STI brakes to pop up some where too...

Good Luck

They are both 5x114.3 (evo and sti) So the rotors will work no problem... It will be the ofsett from your hub to the caliper that will be the only issue. If you put the rotor on the hub with the caliper resting on the rotor measure from the holes on the hub to the holes on the caliper and the offset.. Should work out nicely, I have been waiting for a set of STI brakes to pop up some where too...

Good Luck

This would be interesting. I am all ears.

(Also, do you have a 4G63DET in your Protege?)

Why not just use the front brakes from a MS6? They're a direct bolt on and the rotors are over 12 inches in diameter? Not to mention they're much cheaper than $700...

Really? Not a bad idear! I think most people would prefer to see "Brembo" painted across their brakes but this guy

<-------- That guy....

... is looking for cheaper, easier, and better.

If I want "Brembo" across my calipers then I'll purchase the Brembo BBK for the MS6 and install it on my car. For the cost however, something like StopTech or Rotora would be better. The only downsides I can think of for the MS6 breaks is that they still are only single piston and perhaps they're being designed for an AWD might have an advaerse effect on braking?

Your definetly not going to get ms6 calipers,rotors and pads brand new for under 700. The calipers alone are 500 i was talkin to a vendor about this 2 nights ago

Back