2016~2023 Anyone have CX-9 parking brake actuator problems?

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
2016 CX-9: One inside rear brake pad is worn to the metal. The outside pad on that wheel has about 3mm of pad remaining. I'm about to dive into it, and I haven't yet checked the other side of the car. Has anyone had a sticky parking brake actuator? Any tips for refurbishing one, or tips for replacing one? I have pads & rotors on order, and I may need to replace an actuator depending on what I find. There isn't a lot of rust, and I don't drive in winter areas with a lot of salt. If the actuator just needs cleaning and lubing, that's OK. If not, it's about $100 each to replace part KA0G268EXA.

When you check your brake pads always check the inside pad thickness as well as the outsides. The insides are harder to see, but it can be done through the openings in the caliper. A mechanic's mirror and a flashlight are a help.

I have had an issue with it. I noted that the rear breaks would heat up like crazy. Scanned the car with my mechanic and we got:

C2005 (electronic parking break motor gear unit (RH) (actuator slipping))
C112A (incorrect electronic parking break motor gear unit position (command position not reached))
C2005 (electronic parking break motor gear unit (RH) (mechanical failure))

We watched data on the scanner and found that the RR parking break motor was not displaying when being activated or deactivated, and was also not physically activating. We tried applying and releasing parking brake and RR would not release. Putting the car into maintenance mode allowed the parking break to release.

We searched for TSBs or other issues with CX-9s and did not find much. However, there is information about CX-5s with electronic parking breaks with similar issues and the recommendation was to replace the parking brake motor.

So we replaced the RR parking brake actuator, part was KA0G268EXA.

The issue has generally been solved. There is not more sticking or really hot breaks. I do occasionally get fault lights that seem to come on randomly every 2-3 months but disappears when I just restart the car. (parking break light, break light, and parking brake button light flashing, always all 3 together).

I think I found the source of my problem. It's different than what mcd found. There is a Technical Service Bulletin 04-001/18 that describes rear calipers that don't release fully when the parking brake is released. This is only on early 2016 CX-9s (mine) and early CX-5s.
2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******866136 (produced before September 9, 2016)
2016 CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TC******120519 (produced before September 15, 2016
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10129575-9999.pdf

The fix is to install modified rear calipers with the following date code in the casting:
1694131369256.png

My rear calipers do not have this date code. I renewed the discs and pads. I'll watch the rear inner pad thickness closely, and when they're again worn I'll need to buy new brake parts including the current production new rear calipers. Reman calipers are listed for sale, but there are none to be found. And, they might be the old date code. I found new calipers available for $90 + tax & freight.

I put on Raybestos Element 3 pads & rotors. They should do very well, but getting the ends of the pads into the new hardware (the stamped spring steel clips that keep the pads in place and almost fit) was a challenge........

Interesting. I also have an early 2016 model, affected by this TSB. We discussed it with the mechanic. My rear breaks are wearing very fast (replacing them again next week, about 32K km/20K miles since last time 16 months prior). I wonder if I shouldn't replace the calipers as well?

It sounds like the calipers might be the cause. The cost of new calipers will be offset quickly if you can forego another early brake job.

I think I found the source of my problem. It's different than what mcd found. There is a Technical Service Bulletin 04-001/18 that describes rear calipers that don't release fully when the parking brake is released. This is only on early 2016 CX-9s (mine) and early CX-5s.
2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******866136 (produced before September 9, 2016)
2016 CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TC******120519 (produced before September 15, 2016
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10129575-9999.pdf

The fix is to install modified rear calipers with the following date code in the casting:
View attachment 322152

My rear calipers do not have this date code. I renewed the discs and pads. I'll watch the rear inner pad thickness closely, and when they're again worn I'll need to buy new brake parts including the current production new rear calipers. Reman calipers are listed for sale, but there are none to be found. And, they might be the old date code. I found new calipers available for $90 + tax & freight.

I put on Raybestos Element 3 pads & rotors. They should do very well, but getting the ends of the pads into the new hardware (the stamped spring steel clips that keep the pads in place and almost fit) was a challenge........
Yes, your rear brake symptom is typical by the defective rear disk calipers as outlined in the TSB for those rear disk calipers with the date code earlier than 9/7/2016. We’ve been using this TSB and discussed the rear disk EPB dragging problem for many years in CX-5 forum:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Your rear calipers should have the date code unless the rust corrode it. But you can also use the vehicle assembly date to verify if you have newer version of the calipers or not.

Both of my rear disk calipers (as well as pads and rotors) on my 2016 CX-5 were replaced under warranty when I mentioned the TSB to my Mazda dealer in 2018 right before my new-car warranty expired. Some of the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 owners had experienced dangerous rear brake lock-up situation driving on the highway, in addition to the high temperature on rear brakes due to the disk dragging. If I were you I’d just get a pair of revised OEM rear disk calipers and necessary gaskets listed in the TSB and be done with it.

I have had an issue with it. I noted that the rear breaks would heat up like crazy. Scanned the car with my mechanic and we got:

C2005 (electronic parking break motor gear unit (RH) (actuator slipping))
C112A (incorrect electronic parking break motor gear unit position (command position not reached))
C2005 (electronic parking break motor gear unit (RH) (mechanical failure))

We watched data on the scanner and found that the RR parking break motor was not displaying when being activated or deactivated, and was also not physically activating. We tried applying and releasing parking brake and RR would not release. Putting the car into maintenance mode allowed the parking break to release.

We searched for TSBs or other issues with CX-9s and did not find much. However, there is information about CX-5s with electronic parking breaks with similar issues and the recommendation was to replace the parking brake motor.

So we replaced the RR parking brake actuator, part was KA0G268EXA.

The issue has generally been solved. There is not more sticking or really hot breaks. I do occasionally get fault lights that seem to come on randomly every 2-3 months but disappears when I just restart the car. (parking break light, break light, and parking brake button light flashing, always all 3 together).
If you have a 2016 CX-9 and it produced before 9/15/2016, you should get your rear disk calipers replaced with the revised ones.

Here is a TSB related to DTC C112A and C2005 / C2006.

2018 CX-5 with E-Brake Flashing Light

Although it’s for 2016 CX-5 with EPB, the diagnose description should be similar to your CX-9.

Back