Squealing

el_Don

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I recently changed my belts because the p/s was cracked and the a/c belt was nearly destroyed. I've been getting squealing coming from the engine every now and again. Although I've tightened the belts, I'm thinking that they might now be tightened down to the correct specifications (if there are any). Is there anyway to measure the deflection of the belt and does anyone know of the specifications that that are needed for both of the belts?

I've also been noticing that the squealing occurs usually when I have the a/c on so I'm thinking it's that belt.

Some other things to mention (since I have your attention) was that I recently found that I had a small leak with the a/c lines, although the mechnic was not able to find it, it's been dyed but I haven't taken it back yet. Could the leak somehow be causing the compressor to lock up and cause squealing?

Thanks guys.

there is a way to measure the deflection using a ruler.....i get the same thing with my alt belt every now and then.....but it might be my alt itself.....

about the only thing to really do is just to try and tighten it up a lil more and see if it still squeals

do you have the manual pdfs?

Yeah, I have it but I haven't checked it for the specs or anything. I'll take a look at it.

There is a belt deflection tool that you may be able to rent from an auto parts store. Otherwise, you'll have to use a ruler. The service manual (I downloaded the free one) tells you where to measure, but typically, it is in the middle of the belt.

A squeeling sound could also come from a small exhaust manifold leak. This happens with my MX6 every so often and I have to tighten the exhaust manifold bolts.

I've also been noticing that the squealing occurs usually when I have the a/c on so I'm thinking it's that belt.

If you notice it distinctly when the a/c is engaging, then you might want to check your a/c pulley as a bad bearing in the pulley could cause squealing when under load. Normally if you have new belts and just need to tighten them, you would experience squealing from them most notably for the first 30 seconds or so after you start your car. I would look into your a/c system, the pulley/bearing and clutch assembly. Good luck man, I think my a/c compressor is shot, so no a/c for me this summer :(

The a'c on caused my other belt to squeal. No joke. Kept adjusting until it stopped. If it has been squealing alot - the belt may be 'glazed' and need to be roughed up with coarse sandpaper... Look to see if it is reallly shiny underneath.

I had not tightened all the way. Went back and re-tightened again and checked deflection. The car hasn't made a sound since. (yes)

Latest posts

Back