** Spring Buyer's Guide **

bonesmp5 said:
i know the car handles well -- but all i want is a 2.5 to 3inch drop with out the track orientated feel
how well is this http://www.mmrusa.com/bgcoils.htm
Yes, the B&G coilover set would be a good street setup that allows for a wide range of drop heights. You can drop your car from 1.2"-3.5" with them. Anything below 2" will alter the Protege's suspension geometry negatively though. The kit looks like your best bet.

goku4658 said:
would the eibach pro's be stiffer than the stock MSP setup?
Under daily driving, no they will not. When pushed to the limits however, they will perform slightly better due to the stiffer spring rates and the car's lower center of gravity.

protegeV said:
Any info on the Goldlines or B&G. Im looking for a decent drop with the most stock-like ride.
The Goldlines will give you a 1.6" front & rear drop. They also will provide a smooth ride. An Eibach engineer manufactures them, so you can rest assured they are quality. Spring rates(linear) are Front: 150 lbs/in & Rear: 140 lbs/in. Intrax's will give you a 1.5" drop with linear spring rates, but as to what those spring rates are remains unknown. I'd guess they will ride similar to the Goldlines.

a223818 said:
The stock P5 springs are comparable to which one? The Protege Sedan? You mention the stock shocks are fine, if I had to replace them and not get too expensive, what would you recommend?
Yes, the P5 springs are almost the exact same spring as the sedan. For the entry level strut upgrade I would reccomend the Tokico HP's. These are the stock struts for the MP3 & MSP and are very affordable. If you desire adjustability, the Tokico Illuminas are the ticket.

Last edited:
mx3ownzj00 said:
Yes, the P5 springs are almost the exact same spring as the sedan. For the entry level strut upgrade I would reccomend the Tokico HP's. These are the stock struts for the MP3 & MSP and are very affordable. If you desire adjustability, the Tokico Illuminas are the ticket.
Ok, a bit more. It sounds like you are recommending eibach pro's with Tokico HP's. Refering to your chart the front springs would be stiffer but the backs intially softer. What would the ride be like with this setup compared to stock?

Thanks.

are the "progress" springs not listed because of lack of info, or because they suck?

lol^^^ oh and MY ground control's that I had were 234lbf/in, 251 lbf/in... but I dont know if all the ones they sold as "standard" were these spring rates, cause you can get just about any spring rate you want from them.

a223818 said:
Ok, a bit more. It sounds like you are recommending eibach pro's with Tokico HP's. Refering to your chart the front springs would be stiffer but the backs intially softer. What would the ride be like with this setup compared to stock?

Thanks.
Well it will ride simliar to a MP3 or MSP, but just a tad softer until you start to push the car. It will be noticably stiffer than a stock P5 or sedan, but not jarring.

Derrick- The Progress Group springs are listed under the chart as "appearance springs" due to lack of info on the Protege application and an overall impression they aren't geared toward actual racing.

**Will update GC's spring rates tonight**

not a problem. since i don't have a car to play with right now, i might as well help as many people as possible :)

whoops... I miscalculated the conversion on my GC's... the spring rates are 349 lbf/in front and 215 lbf/in rear

How about the Eibach sportline springs. Did anybody ever figure out what their spring rate is? How the ride quality and performance compare to the stock MSP springs.

So will the Ion Race springs give my MSP the most drop, that is really what i'm looking for. I've seen pics with eibachs and they just aren't low enough.

So I thought the Goldlines were progressive springs as well, at 150f/140r. Am I misunderstanding this?

shinzen said:
So I thought the Goldlines were progressive springs as well, at 150f/140r. Am I misunderstanding this?
They are linear. The front and the back springs will always have different rates(unless you have perfect 50/50 maybe?), but a linear spring only has one tension, whereas a progressive spring is coiled so that as it compresses, the tension increases. That way you have a range. Progressive rates will be listed as, say, Front: 140-197lbs/in and a linear spring will be just noted as, say, Front: 165lbs/in.

gboromsp- Yes the iON Race Spec springs will offer the lowest drop of the springs. The Ground Control coil-sleeves are also another option that will give you adjustiblilty down to 3".

Panzozo- I will almost bet money on the Sportlines being softer than the stock Racing Beat springs. If you want to have a big drop and still retain performance, I reccomend one of gboromsp's options from above.

Last edited:
aren't the ion springs harder to install tho? i thought i read that you'd need to get new dampeners? i probably don't know what i'm talking about

Last edited:
sorry to get OT, but did anyone else think of "spring" in the title of this thread as in the Season? Kinda like Spring Cleaning, Spring Training, Spring buyer's Guide...hehe :D

Panzozo said:
How about the Eibach sportline springs. Did anybody ever figure out what their spring rate is? How the ride quality and performance compare to the stock MSP springs.
yeah, how do the sportlines compare to the stock msp springs? i know i'm def going eibach, just haven't decided between the pro or sports...thanks for all the help!

goku4658 said:
aren't the ion springs harder to install tho? i thought i read that you'd need to get new dampeners? i probably don't know what i'm talking about
You will probably need new struts over time, but installing new springs and struts at the same time is easier than switching springs on the stock struts; and takes less time.

If you're buying eibach: performance= prokit appearance= sportlines

protegeV- heh, yes I was afraid people would pick up on that. I guess its only fitting I made the thread in the Spring, eh?

ok one last question between the eibachs...who wins for ride quality? you've been a real big help, 'preciate it, mang!

goku4658 said:
ok one last question between the eibachs...who wins for ride quality? you've been a real big help, 'preciate it, mang!
hmm, the sportlines will prob offer a smoother ride than the stock MSP's, but the pro-kit isn't harsh at all. it will be the same as the Racing Beats in daily driving conditions.

Back