** Spring Buyer's Guide **

sorry i haven't done this yet, but thanks to the MODS for making this a Sticky. i PM'd linux, but I dunno who exactly got to it.

thanks guys/gals, you ROCK!

Guess it's back to Tein for me unless I can buy someone's GCs. Don't know if you pointed it out, but you will eventually need to upgrade the dampers if you get the iON race springs (which is why I won't get em).

thank you

You gave me everything I wanted to know. I like the chart. And I am glad Im getting the race spec for my mazdaspeed!!!!
ANY PICS!!!!
I hope my fenders will be over my tire

I have been trying to figure out which springs to go with since I got my car. This list is very helpful, but I still have problems with almost every spring.

I want springs for handling/appearance/ride quality, in that order.

F&R progressive springs are no good for auto-x, I don't want to buy new dampers with iON's race springs, & I can't afford full coilovers. The rest of the springs either don't lower the car enough or have weird quirks (people keep saying that Teins don't lower the rear enough, kind of like the Spool problem). From what I can see, that only leaves me with GCs, but DistantTea said the ride quality with them sucks for daily drivers. Even though this is last on my list, I drive 85 miles round trip to school several times a week & many of the roads up there SUCK.

What are my options? The only thing I can come up with is to get GCs & do my best to avoid every fault in the road.

I have the spool springs sitting in my shed waiting untill I get the illuminas inabout 2 months. I would also like to know the spring rates of these springs. Maybe I can find out myself since they are not yet installed. Where would be a place I could take them to to measure the spring rate and do you think they'll charge me anything, or something like $10?

Black Majik MSP - Any aftermarket spring used on the MSP will eventually wear out the stock struts/shocks. We recommend changing them out at the same time to decrease the cost of labor and the time required. You'll see about a 10% quicker reduction in life of the stock Tokicos compared to your stockers.

Black Majik MSP said:
F&R progressive springs are no good for auto-x

What are my options? The only thing I can come up with is to get GCs & do my best to avoid every fault in the road.
Please explain why progressive rate front&rear springs are bad for autoX...

Your requirements are flawed. You can't increase performance(higher rates) and still maintain a smooth ride. Stiff spring rates = bad ride quality. Your only spring option that allows you to dodge this is a progressive rate spring.

I suggest looking into the Illuminas as a replacement strut instead of buying springs. You'll be able to stiffen up the car for events, and soften it back to stock for daily driving. That doesn't fit into your appearance category though.

See the conundrum you're in? :)

vindication- you could email/PM terry about the spring rates. Call some local race shops and ask them if they can test them.

iON - What does 10% quicker equate to? Could I get by with not doing it for 6 months or even a year (car is just under 14k miles)?

mx3 - I know you can't have handling AND ride quality, but I was just hesitant to get the GCs because I've heard they have terrible ride quality. I've heard from several people that progressive springs aren't good for auto-x & that linear was the way to go.

The preference between progressive and linear rates is an individual choice. Much of it depends on driving style. If possible, I'd try to test drive a MSP w/ progressive springs and see if it meets your needs. Maybe your a linear spring man though.

If you're really serious about getting springs for AutoX, you can't go wrong with the GC's. Your struts will last quite some time with the new springs, it will be down the line that they'll need replacing.

ok mx3ownzjoo, yet another question...i was all set to order the eibach pro's for my msp...but got tempted to consider the tein s-tech springs and the falken gravity sport springs cuz of the greater front drop....what are your opinions between these 3? been a great help so far, thanks!!

-jon

Last edited:
very nice mx3ownzjoo, this will help me greatly on deciding on my springs

iON Performance how much are your springs? race and sport, what the differences of these two other than the rates? thanks

Last edited:
BlueWolfCry said:
iON Performance how much are your springs? race and sport, what the differences of these two other than the rates? thanks
Sport: F&R - 1.18"
Race: F - 1.97" R - 2.36"

Besides the rates, that's the difference that I see & it's HUGE.

Black Majik MSP - The 10% faster wear totally depends on driving style etc. Generally if it's just average street/highway the stock struts should last at least 50K miles. Given that, you'll have an approximate 10% reduction in life.

Also, just to clarify something, those height drops are rated against the stock ES Sedan. There are no sport spec for the MSP only for the P5, the race spec will drop the MSP ~1.65" front and ~0.8" rear. However you can see how it evens things out.

BlueWolfCry - we're currently awaiting our next batch of MSP race spec springs to be completed. The member discounted price for the springs is $249US +shipping (payment via MO). The Sport Spec springs on a P5 or ES would give them similar handling to the MSP, however an MSP equipped with the race spec springs, the car at the limit will handle similar to an ITR (ie: it will oversteer @ the limit).

ok, just for the clear up, (1)both race and sport springs are $249 + shipping? and (2) so will the race springs fit my LX?. thank you iON

iON Performance said:
Black Majik MSP - The 10% faster wear totally depends on driving style etc. Generally if it's just average street/highway the stock struts should last at least 50K miles. Given that, you'll have an approximate 10% reduction in life.

Also, just to clarify something, those height drops are rated against the stock ES Sedan. There are no sport spec for the MSP only for the P5, the race spec will drop the MSP ~1.65" front and ~0.8" rear. However you can see how it evens things out.

BlueWolfCry - we're currently awaiting our next batch of MSP race spec springs to be completed. The member discounted price for the springs is $249US +shipping (payment via MO). The Sport Spec springs on a P5 or ES would give them similar handling to the MSP, however an MSP equipped with the race spec springs, the car at the limit will handle similar to an ITR (ie: it will oversteer @ the limit).

BlueWolfCry - The sport spec springs are slightly cheaper then the race spec (both @ MSRP & w/ the member discount). We've got 2 sets left that we found in our warehouse (sport specs). The race spec will physically fit, however your struts will be blown out very quickly due to the fact the LX suspension doesn't have the Tokicos for stockers.

Of the two spring set-ups, we'd recommend the Sport Spec, as it'll give you a drop close to 1.3" F&R. The sport specs are $224US + shipping

thank you iON, i think i'll be going with your springs. i shall pm you in june when i also order the tokico hps. one last question, im assuming the race springs are more performance fit than the sport springs, so why would you recommend the sport springs over the race springs?

iON Performance said:
BlueWolfCry - The sport spec springs are slightly cheaper then the race spec (both @ MSRP & w/ the member discount). We've got 2 sets left that we found in our warehouse (sport specs). The race spec will physically fit, however your struts will be blown out very quickly due to the fact the LX suspension doesn't have the Tokicos for stockers.

Of the two spring set-ups, we'd recommend the Sport Spec, as it'll give you a drop close to 1.3" F&R. The sport specs are $224US + shipping

Back