Spark Plugs

speed3 britz

:
07 Mazdaspeed3, 93 B2600i 4x4
Ok so was thinkin of upgrading my plugs. My cars got 56k on it. I hear talk about 1 step colder plugs... whats the advantages of it? Curious cause i dont know. And what do you recommend? Im usually an NGK guy, ran those in my last 2 cars

I think the one step colder plugs are used when more modified. Like almost completely bolted. Especially with downpipe and intercooler. But, I'm a dumbass..so, you may want to research some more

with your mods I would stick with stock temp plugs and gaps it will run much better then going with 1step colder plugs...if you do decide chances are they will foul up before you get any real results with them, unless you can up the PSI to above stock I wouldn't recommend it...

I had ITV22's gapped at .028 with zero problems with my mods, but I just recently went back to ITV20's and gap them at stock and the car runs SOOOO much better. just my .02

OP: stick with stock heat range. You are nowhere near needing colder plugs. You always want to run the hottest heat range you can without experiencing knock. Colder plugs will not produce any more power for you and only run a significant risk of fouling, especially if you do much stop and go driving.

You are unlikely to run into any benefit from colder plugs until after you get at or very close to being fully bolted. Even at my mod level, running a catless dp/rp and a tune with targeted boost at the 18-19 psi level, I'm barely marginal, at that, for needing colder plugs. You will actually lose a few horsepower by going with colder plugs, IMHO. I think I could probably pick up a couple extra horsepower by going back to the stock heat range, but because I am running higher boost and a much more free-flowing exhaust, almost maxing out my wastegate, I thought I'd be safe, maybe give up a few ponies and have a bit more protection against possible detonation.

what would be the preferred gap for the IVT 20's? I have been on the fence about this as well. Many say with my mods to go with IVT 20's, some say go colder.

For ITV20's I would set them at .030, atleast that what I had to set mine to prevent blow out. so far ZERO issues after adjustment.

Back