2016 CX-5 Sport spark plug question

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
My 2016 CX-5 Sport has almost 70k.. I believe at 75k I have to change the spark plugs. Mazda recommends two types of spark lugs in the owners manual. One of them is PE5R-18-110.

Can I use the NGK spark plugs part # ILKAR7L11? Apparently they are engineered to OE specifications. Are they the same as the Mazda spark plugs?

Anyone used the NGK ILKAR7L11 in their CX-5's for 30k miles plus?

Last edited:
Now a little hesitant to try the NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs after reading the "Ignition gremlin". The Mazda plugs are about $25 a piece, but maybe they are just worth it to avoid future problems.
The choice between OEM and NGK spark plugs is really a personal preference. Most people using NGK plugs have no problems at all. I personally would use OEM plugs just because I always use OEM parts as a DIYer to guarantee the good quality and the best fitment.

... Anyone used the NGK ILKAR7L11 in their CX-5's for 30k miles plus? ...
Yep, changed the oem plugs with those @75k miles on our 16.5 cx5 ... Now 135k miles. No issues. Also used the same plugs on a '15 mazda3 that my nephew now drives and it has 150k on it. No issues with that one either.

Yep, changed the oem plugs with those @75k miles on our 16.5 cx5 ... Now 135k miles. No issues. Also used the same plugs on a '15 mazda3 that my nephew now drives and it has 150k on it. No issues with that one either.
Good to hear. Is the performance the same as the factory ones, and MPGs?

The choice between OEM and NGK spark plugs is really a personal preference. Most people using NGK plugs have no problems at all. I personally would use OEM plugs just because I always use OEM parts as a DIYer to guarantee the good quality and the best fitment.
With the engine oil filters I prefer to take it to the mazda dealership for oil changes so that that I get a mazda oil filter. With air filter I just use the Mazda one now. I had once tried the Denso Air filter and the engine performance just didn't feel the same, so I switched back to the Mazda air filter.

Good to hear. Is the performance the same as the factory ones, and MPGs?
Yep, everything the same. The oem plugs are (IMHO) NGK ILKAR7L11 with the additional bit of ink label "Mazda" on them. Use them with confidence.

Yep, everything the same. The oem plugs are (IMHO) NGK ILKAR7L11 with the additional bit of ink label "Mazda" on them. Use them with confidence.
Good to hear.. I'll use the NGK ones when I get the plugs replaced by my mechanic.. They are also way cheaper, as Rockauto has them for about $40 for four plugs.

Here are what the Orangevirus Tuning (OVT) gets to say about OEM spark plugs used on SkyActiv-G’s:

Without getting into too much detail...you guys really...really..really want to use OEM plugs....
the reason is because the ECU uses the ignition coils, which measure a resistance across the OEM plug for pre-ignition, and extremely low levels of knock retard the knock sensor cannot pick up, along with that it gives the ECU individual cylinder information, the spark plugs are actually used "as a sensor."

How it works exactly is proprietary information that I am not willing to share, you want to use OEM plugs.

And here’s what the Mazda CX-5 Factory Workshop Manual says:

CAUTION:
• If a spark plug that is not as specified is installed, engine performance will be deteriorated. Install only the specified spark plug when replacing.

52EAD1E3-AD41-45D9-9F00-E6679ADC94FC.jpeg

Here are what the Orangevirus Tuning (OVT) gets to say about OEM spark plugs used on SkyActiv-G’s:

And here’s what the Mazda CX-5 Factory Workshop Manual says:

CAUTION:
• If a spark plug that is not as specified is installed, engine performance will be deteriorated. Install only the specified spark plug when replacing.

View attachment 312689

I just went to NGKs parts finder and for the '16 CX-5 sport, it shows ILKAR7L11 and under fitment notes it says "Actual OE Manufacturer; 75,000 mi OE Mfr Recommended service interval". Are they claiming it's the same plug as the Mazda plug or they make the Mazda branded ILKAR7L11?

So, I just got a set of OEM plugs from MedCenter Mazda. Part number on the plug is PE5R-18110A. I'm guessing the "A" is representing a new rev? Anyone see this before?

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_164402823_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231018_164402823_HDR.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 51
So, I just got a set of OEM plugs from MedCenter Mazda. Part number on the plug is PE5R-18110A. I'm guessing the "A" is representing a new rev? Anyone see this before?
Yes most online Mazda parts sellers have updated to this new part number on 2.5L / 2.0L NA spark plug. The added “A” definitely means something has changed. It could be Just as simple as the packaging change only Mazda knows.

There’s another new OEM spark plug PE5R-18-110-MV from Value Line parts. I asked my Mazda parts guy on the other day and would like to see it in person. Unfortunately he’s never been aware there’s such plug available. Nothing in stock and couldn’t see it in person to find out more info on this “Value” spark plug.

Yes most online Mazda parts sellers have updated to this new part number on 2.5L / 2.0L NA spark plug. The added “A” definitely means something has changed. It could be Just as simple as the packaging change only Mazda knows.

There’s another new OEM spark plug PE5R-18-110-MV from Value Line parts. I asked my Mazda parts guy on the other day and would like to see it in person. Unfortunately he’s never been aware there’s such plug available. Nothing in stock and couldn’t see it in person to find out more info on this “Value” spark plug.
Yeah, I won't use anything with MV on it, lol. No value to anything watered down. I really don't know the difference, if any, to be honest, but where I work anything "value engineered" is a synonym for finding a way to make it cheaper. That word "value" just throws red flags. Just my 2 cents. That and the fact that I had 2 of their MV oil filters leak on me, that's a big meh.

Last edited:
If Mazda's Value Line spark plugs are anything like their Value Line windshield wiper blade inserts, they can keep them. I'd hate to buy a set of lower priced set of "misfire generators". LOL

If Mazda's Value Line spark plugs are anything like their Value Line windshield wiper blade inserts, they can keep them. I'd hate to buy a set of lower priced set of "misfire generators". LOL
Well, almost ALL Mazfa dealers use OEM “Value” oil filters for oil change. I was surprised my Mazda dealer didn’t stock “Value” spark plugs which are compatible to aftermarket plugs on price. I saw the picture of the case on Mazda “Value” spark plugs and I can see it says “Made in Mexico” like “Value” oil filters. I was curious who made this Mazda “Value” spark plugs. If it says “NGK” on ceramic insulator I may consider it for a half of the regular OEM plug price.

Well, almost ALL Mazfa dealers use OEM “Value” oil filters for oil change. I was surprised my Mazda dealer didn’t stock “Value” spark plugs which are compatible to aftermarket plugs on price. I saw the picture of the case on Mazda “Value” spark plugs and I can see it says “Made in Mexico” like “Value” oil filters. I was curious who made this Mazda “Value” spark plugs. If it says “NGK” on ceramic insulator I may consider it for a half of the regular OEM plug price.
I just took my '16 CX-5 sport for an oil change at yesterday at dealership. Noticed on the receipt that they use the MV oil filter.

Is there an issue with the MV oil filter? I don't want to take the car to firestone or other places. Trust the dealership more for oil changes.

I just took my '16 CX-5 sport for an oil change at yesterday at dealership. Noticed on the receipt that they use the MV oil filter.

Is there an issue with the MV oil filter? I don't want to take the car to firestone or other places. Trust the dealership more for oil changes.
I wouldn’t worried too much by using the OEM MV oil filters. They’re at least built by Mazda’s specs and have to be better suited to your CX-5 than those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters.

The standard OEM oil filters cost only a couple of dollars more. You can always ask for that when you do the oil change at your Mazda dealer and pay the difference. Ask for a picture taken to the non-MV oil filter the tech just installed, and the empty non-MV oil filter paper box left in your trunk.

Back