Sold my cx-5

Vinster

:
2016 CX-5 GT/Tech Silver
Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been on here. Guess i lost interest. Just yesterday I traded in my 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech and MMS for a 2017 Honda CRV. I have never been a fan of the CRV until i seen this Model Year's upgrade. A complete refresh. Yes it has a CTV Tranny and no maybe it doesn't quite handle like the cx-5 but i'd actually argue that one. The reason I traded was for a few reasons. Apple car play, Panoramic sunroof, Memory seats for 2, heated steering wheel, Heated rear seats, power lift gate with foot detection, lane keep assist, full LED turn signals and headlights, bigger, roomier and IMO better looking. Although some of these things are per individual i really feel this is superior to my current CX-5. Now i did look at specs for the 2017 CX-5. Still no apple car play etc. The Honda dealer gave me more money than what I owed on the Mazda so that was nice and i got the CRV for $500 over invoice. My payments went up $2.xx a month. As a quick background this will be my fifth Honda i've owned. The CX-5 was my first Mazda. Thanks again for all the help before and after I bought my CX-5. I still have it for now. The Honda is on order with no delivery date set yet. Extremely popular SUV.

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been on here. Guess i lost interest. Just yesterday I traded in my 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech and MMS for a 2017 Honda CRV. I have never been a fan of the CRV until i seen this Model Year's upgrade. A complete refresh. Yes it has a CTV Tranny and no maybe it doesn't quite handle like the cx-5 but i'd actually argue that one. The reason I traded was for a few reasons. Apple car play, Panoramic sunroof, Memory seats for 2, heated steering wheel, Heated rear seats, power lift gate with foot detection, lane keep assist, full LED turn signals and headlights, bigger, roomier and IMO better looking. Although some of these things are per individual i really feel this is superior to my current CX-5. Now i did look at specs for the 2017 CX-5. Still no apple car play etc. The Honda dealer gave me more money than what I owed on the Mazda so that was nice and i got the CRV for $500 over invoice. My payments went up $2.xx a month. As a quick background this will be my fifth Honda i've owned. The CX-5 was my first Mazda. Thanks again for all the help before and after I bought my CX-5. I still have it for now. The Honda is on order with no delivery date set yet. Extremely popular SUV.

Congrats, I saw a brand spanking new CRV in black just yesterday on the road and my jaw dropped when I got closer to the emblem and realized it was a CRV, they did a really nice job on the exterior and include a lot of luxury options. My wife is interested in getting it too. I can imagine the waiting list will be very long for it and not much wiggle room on price. This is in direct competition of the CX-5, I noticed a lot of members on the fence between this and the new CX-5, I'll have to test drive it to see if it gives the CX-5 a run for its money on handling, cause nothing comes close in its class in terms of handling right now. The re-designed rear looks really nice, the wheels are ugly though IMHO

Last edited:
Yeah the new CRV and the new Civic are good cars. Last time I had a Honda was in 2011-2012 when Honda was putting out snooze mobiles for cars. Could not stand it. In the meantime Mazda came out with the all new CX-5. Fast forward to 2017 and Honda is finally making cars worth buying again.

Apple Carplay is a big deal for some people. I do hope Mazda adds that feature soon. I don't need it, but I'm sure it will help with selling more CX-5s. Most of the features you mentioned I believe are coming in the 2017 CX-5, minus the car play. I'm really excited for the arrival of the diesel CX-5 in the 2nd half of this year.

I was with you untill you said it looks better than CX5 - its ok to look from rear but all that chrome is kind of a wanna be. Also the front = Mitsubishi Outlander / Toyota highlander type look. Average.
Few other things - the wheels are awful. Not hearing good things about turbo mpg - 24 ish average which CX5 will get, but you have to put up with the CVT. But the 39 cu ft and 76 cu ft is amazing.

Also $2.xx / month doesnt matter. You bought and sold a car in 1 year. Kiss 8000 benjamins* good bye.

* or whatever goes in Canada.

I liked a lot about the new CRV feature-wise - and it drives really well - but I really don't like the way it looks on the outside. The chrome and that rear light design looks terrible imo. I will say the car looks better in person than in that pic above though.

I was with you untill you said it looks better than CX5 - its ok to look from rear but all that chrome is kind of a wanna be. Also the front = Mitsubishi Outlander / Toyota highlander type look. Average.
Few other things - the wheels are awful. Not hearing good things about turbo mpg - 24 ish average which CX5 will get, but you have to put up with the CVT. But the 39 cu ft and 76 cu ft is amazing.

Also $2.xx / month doesnt matter. You bought and sold a car in 1 year. Kiss 8000 benjamins* good bye.

* or whatever goes in Canada.

I had it for 20 months and the difference between what i paid originally and what i got for it after 20 months was $5800. Not bad for close to two years. What I think looks good and what you think looks good again as stated above is an individual preference. Yes the fuel economy on my Mazda was awesome. I heard the Honda can suck until way after the break-in period.

I had it for 20 months and the difference between what i paid originally and what i got for it after 20 months was $5800. Not bad for close to two years. What I think looks good and what you think looks good again as stated above is an individual preference. Yes the fuel economy on my Mazda was awesome. I heard the Honda can suck until way after the break-in period.

Taxes - add them.

Taxes - add them.

What i paid MRSP and what i got for a trade does not include tax. My tax is only 5%. Always got to pay taxes bud. If i buy a phone new for $100 plus tax and then decide to sell it 2 months later i'm not going to say i paid $120 for it(example). I eat the taxes. I will say i paid $100 for it. Don't be a dick, thanks.

What i paid MRSP and what i got for a trade does not include tax. My tax is only 5%. Always got to pay taxes bud. If i buy a phone new for $100 plus tax and then decide to sell it 2 months later i'm not going to say i paid $120 for it(example). I eat the taxes. I will say i paid $100 for it. Don't be a dick, thanks.

You paid fees twice - did you not, registrations / dealer fees etc. - my comment came from what your original comment was - my payment only went up 2 bucks - a pack of gum. No it didt it was worse than that. It wasnt simple or cheap as that.
Your tenure went up so you will be paying longer.

Look you got a lot of car in the CRV - more power to you, but if you are feeling good about only 2 bucks - thats is financially illiterate. Congrats once again.

Oh i see what you're saying. I'm the type of person that always has a car payment. I don't keep them long, 4-7 years max with a few exceptions. So to have a payment go up $2 is awesome. Really 20 months is nothing especially if i always have a car payment. I just have a different view.

There is a tax impact but I think its negligible. Assume you bought the CX-5 for $30,000 at 5% tax rate your tax paid would be $1,500. On the trade-in, if they offered you $25,000 for the trade-in and the CRV was $30,000 your taxes would be 5% of the CRV price less the trade in value of the CX-5. (30,000 - 25,000) x 5% = $250. So your additional taxes due to changing a vehicle after only a year is $250. This would be a lot higher if you sold the CX-5 rather than trading it in. In that instance you pay taxes on the full $30,000 price of the CR-V only a year after you paid the same tax amount on the CX-5. Not sure if this is what Kaps was implying. This is a moot point since it's a trade in. Additional taxes would only be $250, which is negligible.

Vinster - I did not mean to be disrespectful but this is a common con in US - where dealers work with monthly payments and make money off interest. They try to get the monthly affordable but the tenure is longer and folks end up paying a lot for the vehicle. Overall at 2% interest rates which are possible in credit unions this is not a big problem - but my dealer gave me a 5% interest rate and I am excellent credit, just that i switched to my credit union in 30 days. Enjoy your car man.

Enjoy it man. If Mazda ever asks, you should let them know why you choose the CR-V over the CX-5. The things you listed are high on the list of many people. The fact the CR-V can offer all of that and get good mileage is a bar that Mazda should either reach or exceed.

Vinster - I did not mean to be disrespectful but this is a common con in US - where dealers work with monthly payments and make money off interest. They try to get the monthly affordable but the tenure is longer and folks end up paying a lot for the vehicle. Overall at 2% interest rates which are possible in credit unions this is not a big problem - but my dealer gave me a 5% interest rate and I am excellent credit, just that i switched to my credit union in 30 days. Enjoy your car man.

Oh i see. Here in Canada for the most part interest is set unless poor credit etc. On the cx-5 Mazda Canada had the interest rate at 2.49% and on the CRV Honda Canada has 3.99%. That is set per province if not the country. Again unless you have terrible credit. Honda Canada does have a program where if you are in a current Honda loan they will drop the interest rate by 1%. Because the Honda has only been out since Dec. 21/16 the interest rate is high IMO but still not bad. Thats why i say for two similar priced vehicles with a 1.49% difference in interest rate, that $2ish bucks a month is f-all. Of course waiting until Dec 2017 would probably netted me a lower interest rate I wanted one now and was willing to deal a bit with the dealership to see what I could get. I'm happy I guess. All that matters. Unfortunately it may take a couple months to get the car but as per our agreement if the interest rate drops while i'm waiting for delivery, i will benefit from the lower rate.

Enjoy it man. If Mazda ever asks, you should let them know why you choose the CR-V over the CX-5. The things you listed are high on the list of many people. The fact the CR-V can offer all of that and get good mileage is a bar that Mazda should either reach or exceed.

You're right. Technology is huge on my list. Normally i would keep a car longer than 20 months but the amount of Tech and options available on the CRV far exceeded IMO what i had on my 2016 CX-5. On the Honda you can actually touch the screen while driving. Safety aside, i still found myself looking down at the knobs on my Mazda from time to time. Easier to touch the screen. I will say when i test drove the CRV i plugged in my iPhone and car play popped up. The interface was so easy to use and siri was awesome as well. It really looked great. Hopefully Mazda changes their mind and puts it in their vehicles sooner rather than later.

They finally made that back end "right". Couldn't stand the way it looked before so it wasn't in the running. Might give it a look..

What i am hearing is Canada has some protection on interest rate abuse. Which is good. Here some loans can have rates as high as 70%. Little protection.

Congrats, I saw a brand spanking new CRV in black just yesterday on the road and my jaw dropped when I got closer to the emblem and realized it was a CRV, they did a really nice job on the exterior and include a lot of luxury options. My wife is interested in getting it too. I can imagine the waiting list will be very long for it and not much wiggle room on price. This is in direct competition of the CX-5, I noticed a lot of members on the fence between this and the new CX-5, I'll have to test drive it to see if it gives the CX-5 a run for its money on handling, cause nothing comes close in its class in terms of handling right now. The re-designed rear looks really nice, the wheels are ugly though IMHO

Keep in mind the Pano roof, heated wheel and heated rear seats are Canada exclusive. Plus the Canadian sold CRV's are made in Canada. Just a selling point IMO. Although because of high demand there is some border swapping. I may have to wait up to 3 months for my Silver V.

Back