:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Oops forgot the text of my post. See post 3
Screenshot_20211113-145141_2.png

Last edited:
oops...

Got the attached deal from a dealer. Trade in my 2020 Signature for a 2021 Signature for a net difference of about $2,100 (then add $1,800 for a new clear bra). You have to basically not count the $655 plate fee as that's coming due on my current car anyway.

Only catch is that the car is still on the water expected in 12/15. the salesman says that ships lined up waiting isn't the same issue since this comes into San Diega, not LA. I've bought a car from this dealer before, was going to go in and put down $500 deposit - only if it's refundable in case they jerk me around on my trad in when the car arrives - I only put about 200 miles a month on my car.

Would you do it?

I got a similar letter from mazda, I have 2019 cx5 sport with 3,000 miles on it, trade it in for 2021 new sport and pay $3,500 difference...
didn't do it, though it was tempting ... had a month to take offer.

I didn't get a letter, I reached out to them. No other dealer could come within 2 or 3 grand of the deal, apparently since they don't have the car yet.

I got a similar letter from mazda, I have 2019 cx5 sport with 3,000 miles on it, trade it in for 2021 new sport and pay $3,500 difference...
didn't do it, though it was tempting ... had a month to take offer.
No dealers in my area have any Sports at all, and haven't for a long time

are the new extras in 2021 worth it 2100 usd?
apart from the miles you got on yours.
if its yes then go for it.

Also, even with the 2022's coming, I'd still make up a lot of that back in 5 or 10 years on resale of a 1 year newer car MY

Got the attached deal from a dealer. Trade in my 2020 Signature for a 2021 Signature for a net difference of about $2,100 (then add $1,800 for a new clear bra).

$1,800 for a clear bra?
Since you said you only have a few thousand miles on your 2020 Signature, I'd keep what you have versus spend all that money for little gain. JMO.

Hmmm. The only $$$ they're really making is the $1225 plus $499, or roughly $1725... Makes one wonder why? There has to be a net gain for them somewhere? Are all the letters from Mazda corporate or dealer only?

Is there an expensive defect in prior years that they are trying to secretly get the vehicles back and fix before resale? Maybe alot easier than dealing with angry customers and fixing under warranty, providing rental vehicles, etc.

Or perhaps one of the vehicles frame/body was made of gold and accidently sold with the common vehicles?

Or maybe inflate their new vehicle sales figures?

Or maybe it's so the dealer can turn around and sell the used ones at a huge profit and make more on the used than new ? Pay less taxes, etc.

If it's the dealer, and only one particular dealer, then maybe they have drugs or $$$ hidden in the car.

There's gotta be either a legitimate $$$ reason or a con behind it, even if the con isn't on you.

Me I'd take the deal, depending on the mileage that was racked up on my car. If low mileage, maybe not worth the hassle. However if really racked the miles, then yeah, trade it.
But maybe scratch the body in a hidden spot and check for gold 1st.

Last edited:
Hmmm. The only $$$ they're really making is the $1225 plus $499, or roughly $1725...
Well, plus the $268. I blocked out the exact details, for some reason I didn't want other dealers I was shopping to know which dealer it was. But yeah, there doesn't seem any reason for him to sell it to me for a $2,100 spread. I'm sure he's making or saving money since he won't even have to have it on his lot for a day, and even if there's some hidden Mazda numbers/quotas for him (I do know that sometimes increased sales numbers to Corporate can be good for them), I'd still think there's more profit on it for him somewhere else. For me, other than $2,100 it seems there's no downside, of course I'd have the contract written so the deposit is refundable.

$1,800 for a clear bra?
Since you said you only have a few thousand miles on your 2020 Signature, I'd keep what you have versus spend all that money for little gain. JMO.
I know. There's really no horrible answer as it's a relatively marginal amount, I've just hear how much better the new infotainment system is (I sometimes want to throw a brick at mine when I start up the car, wait forever to get the warning 'I agree" button, then more delay even after I hit it - it seems to take forever for that system to start) And while it's mostly the same car, I'm like to think I'd get at least $1,000 of the back on resale to the a 1 year more recent model year.

Are you going to keep trading every year?
Nice non-sequitur and obfuscation, but okay, at $2,000/year, yes.

It was April of 2020, so 1 1/2 years. After 15 years that's $20,000, about as much as one is going to pay to replace a used car with new car in 15 years. Or after the inital purchase, think of it as a $166/mmo lease for a perpetually new car.

But no, I wouldn't trade it every year

Last edited:
Hmmm. The only $$$ they're really making is the $1225 plus $499, or roughly $1725... Makes one wonder why? There has to be a net gain for them somewhere? Are all the letters from Mazda corporate or dealer only?

Is there an expensive defect in prior years that they are trying to secretly get the vehicles back and fix before resale? Maybe alot easier than dealing with angry customers and fixing under warranty, providing rental vehicles, etc.

Or perhaps one of the vehicles frame/body was made of gold and accidently sold with the common vehicles?

Or maybe it's so the dealer can turn around and sell the used ones at a huge profit and make more on the used than new ? Pay less taxes, etc.

If it's the dealer, and only one particular dealer, then maybe they have drugs or $$$ hidden in the car.

There's gotta be either a legitimate $$$ reason or a con behind it, even if the con isn't on you.

Me I'd take the deal, depending on the mileage that was racked up on my car. If low mileage, maybe not worth the hassle. However if really racked the miles, then yeah, trade it.

My letter is from the local dealer... and at the time when I first got the letter on Oct 15 2021, they had 5 brand new 2021 sport cx5s in stock..

well, I'm reading the letter and it's from my local dealer and has the manager sig on it.. and all local info, plus sent 1st class mail.

Maybe your right though, I'm not a expert on marketing , just posting about this offer... that I didn't use.

wow, you really don't know how the car business works or the state of it now re: inventory shortages.
The shortage of new cars is pushing people to buy more late model used ones. This increase in demand means that prices are up on used (about 25%-30% since pre-covid times). This also means that dealers are paying way more for trade-ins to be able to have vehicles to sell. It's not uncommon now to have 1-2 year old used cars selling for equal to or even a little above what a new one costs.

Also, even with the 2022's coming, I'd still make up a lot of that back in 5 or 10 years on resale of a 1 year newer car MY
Hmm. Depreciation is not a straight line in normal times. Let's set aside the current craziness and assume normality will return by the time you get to 5 or 10 years.

In normal times the largest single year of depreciation is the first--actually the minute you drive it off the lot. Year 2 has less depreciation, year 3 less still, and so forth.

At 5 years you might get back the $2,100 out of pocket, kind of a close call. You say you only drive 2,400 miles per year. So in 5 years, with 2027s hitting the lots, you'd be comparing a trade of a 7 year old 2020 with 12,000 miles to a 6 year old 2021 with 14,200 miles. $2,100 difference seems close to right.

In 10 years the difference would be all but evaporate.

For somebody who routinely trades every 2 or 3 years I'd say you'd come out ahead.

I have to say $1.800 for a bra is outrageous, but no matter. If you had one now you could use it on the 2021, right? So that's an "upgrade" over your current vehicle, apples to oranges. You should know that if you do trade your 2021 with the bra included you're not going to get much extra in trade for that, so factor that into your depreciation. Find a cheaper bra is the answer to that.
Nice non-sequitur and obfuscation, but okay, at $2,000/year, yes.

It was April of 2020, so 1 1/2 years. After 15 years that's $20,000, about as much as one is going to pay to replace a used car with new car in 15 years.
That would be a compelling proposition if you could flip annually for that out of pocket. Among other things, you'd always be under manufacturer warranty and you'd pay $0 in scheduled maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. plus everything else that goes with always driving a new car.

But how long do you think this shortage of new vehicles and ridiculous trade values will persist? I'd give it about a year, maybe less. It won't be too long before we're back to a $40,000 new car dropping to $35,000 the day it is driven off the lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
oops...

Got the attached deal from a dealer. Trade in my 2020 Signature for a 2021 Signature for a net difference of about $2,100 (then add $1,800 for a new clear bra). You have to basically not count the $655 plate fee as that's coming due on my current car anyway.

Only catch is that the car is still on the water expected in 12/15. the salesman says that ships lined up waiting isn't the same issue since this comes into San Diega, not LA. I've bought a car from this dealer before, was going to go in and put down $500 deposit - only if it's refundable in case they jerk me around on my trad in when the car arrives - I only put about 200 miles a month on my car.

Would you do it?
What did you originally pay for it in 2020? You might be getting more for it than you paid a year ago

Back