SMOKE!!! I'm out

So you are just gonna let the next potential Mazda owner suffer with this problem?
I guess he should spend a few hundred or maybe a couple thousand on the next owner. I'm sure you would do the same. If the dealer buys it that way, it's with any issues it is up to them to fix it before they sell it. They are the ones passing it on to a Mazda driver. If it works, setting the idle IS fixing the problem in my book. The car may never smoke again with a higher idle. Read around, it's worked perfectly for many smoking issues.

Spending unnecessary coin to fix a car before you trade it in to a dealer is retarded unless you have to do it. If you think for a second they would do the same before selling a car you are crazy.

Dealer would simply swap out the turbo for a stocker anyway, and claim "warranty" with Mazda North America. Wouldn't cost them hard dollars of any significant degree.
That is assuming the car is still within warranty - has few enough miles - and the new customer doesn't go and try slapping some bolt-ons to the car the minute he/she gets it home.
As for anm6 bringing it in for trade as-is, might be hard to pull off if you're smoking all the way into the lot!

Personally if this car ever smokes on me, I'm fixing it because I like it too much.

Having the oil changed over to the lower weight synthetic will probably work enough for a dealer visit. The oil change may take a day or so to burn off the old oil and then you should have a window where before it starts smoking again. My window was about two weeks or so.
Get the oil change wait a day or so and then off to the dealer you go. Test it yourself of course.

Last edited:
So far so good, No smoke two days of driving, I washed the car on Sunday and cleaned out the exhust tip to watch for soot and or oil. So far nothing?? Maybe it will never happen again but who knows. I know the STG3 BNR turbo is a good option for us, Just not sure about spending $1200 for a 30 WHP increase if that. He told me a guy with a speed 6 and his turbo only made 296 WHP( Mustang Dyno) I made 291 WHP ( Mustang Dyno) I know the speed 6 loses more in Drivetrain but it's only like what 10-12 WHP differece? If I'm gonna go BT I may go 3071R and shoot for 370's. NO?? But either way wont I need Rods??? I may take the $$ go to the dealer and trade it and use the $$ for a new car.. God man just dont know.

IMO, unless you really love this car, or just want the challenge of completing a big project and turning your own wrenches (like converting to AWD), it just isn't worth the money to go BT. The ms3 isn't over engineered and the "bigger" mods require a good deal of supporting mods in order to get it right (see: expensive). However I suppose that is true with any mod situation if you want to do it right and reliable (how's that go? Cheap, Reliable, Fast: you can have two).

Perhaps throwing in the towel at this point is premature, but you are the one who needs to make that call; it's your money/time. On the other hand, if it is going to take you 2-3k just to get to normal, maybe it's time to move on...but then...move on to what? haha.

So far so good, No smoke two days of driving, I washed the car on Sunday and cleaned out the exhust tip to watch for soot and or oil. So far nothing?? Maybe it will never happen again but who knows. I know the STG3 BNR turbo is a good option for us, Just not sure about spending $1200 for a 30 WHP increase if that. He told me a guy with a speed 6 and his turbo only made 296 WHP( Mustang Dyno) I made 291 WHP ( Mustang Dyno) I know the speed 6 loses more in Drivetrain but it's only like what 10-12 WHP differece? If I'm gonna go BT I may go 3071R and shoot for 370's. NO?? But either way wont I need Rods??? I may take the $$ go to the dealer and trade it and use the $$ for a new car.. God man just dont know.

$1200 for 30whp...and no more smoke.

How much are you going to loose trading the car in? Bet it's more than that.
You never make money......hell you don't even normally break even changing cars. Trading it in...you take the biggest hit.

How about find a stock turbo from a yard, swap it back to stock, send your ported PG unit to BNR and have him center section it and do whatever else he does to it.
Swap it back in when you get it, sell the stocker, and get another custom tune with the new turbo. You would probably have to wait several months to get the unit back from BNR, assuming he'll take it as a core.

you are right no more smoke,. . But,
I did talk to Bryan last night and he has STG 3's sitting waiting to go out, He would take the reworked as a core., So that much is set I just need to figure out if I want to. .I will lose $$$ on the trading it in. But do I want to spend the $$ on the BNR and then rods if they go,( But guess this was an option from day 1) I really did not do research in this car before I bought it, It was just sitting at the dealer when we turned our lease in( G35X-S).. So I kinda burned myself,,.

Update no smoke,, Oil changed to 5-40 idle raised to 950 RPM all is good, Maybe I do not have to swap after all.

Good to hear. I know how you feel though, its very scary and you jump to the worst conclusion when it happens the first time.

I'm thinking your PCV valve just took a temporary dump, but keeping the idle up seems to be getting you where you need to be. That's good news. Don't bail out yet.

Can you only raise the idle if you have a tuning solution like an AP or SB or can you also do it with the HT?

Can't do it (yet) in HT. Some of us have been asking them to update with that option. Don't know if they will. Dealer can also do it for you, I understand, but don't ask them if you are modded unless you are already out of warranty, or unless you have a VERY good and trustworthy inside connection with the service department at your local dealer.

Yea but still bailed got a GOOD deal on a G37X Coupe, I have a part thread up in the FS section.

Can you only raise the idle if you have a tuning solution like an AP or SB or can you also do it with the HT?

Yea HT was thinking about it but something with emissions they where not sure about. I did some testing for them before I got the AP, and was talking to Chris about that.

Hey man, just found your topic while surfing around...
That's sad to hear and hope you'll be happy with your new car eitherway!

I am now waiting for a warm days with my new reworked installed, to make 400-miles trip, as I have no good and respectful local tuners. Thanks for tips with revved idle, willd efinitely make them 900 at least! Now I am still on stock 680-700 lol :) But 400 miles on reworked - so far no smoke seen! :)

Glad to hear you got yours installed, Hope it works out for you.. Really like the MS3 but really like the G37. Already installed Stillen Gen 3's and exhasut is on the way from ExoticSpeed.

Attachments

• Stillen Gen 3's.jpg
    Stillen Gen 3's.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 95
Nice but uh......$$$$$ major chaching on that Stillen gear! Why didn't you go with the Jim Wolf stuff? checkout Jimwolftechnology dot com.
Was looking at getting an FX35 for awhile and investing in some of that. Was also looking at a phenolic spacer for the upper intake and polishing the inside of the upper for more flow.
All told it would add like 15hp as I recall. Decided the FX35 was too small inside, too big outside, and too heavy for the fam and went with the CX9.

Latest posts

Back