Slipping and sliding in the snow.

connib

Just had a big snow storm and my cx9 GT was a real dissapointment to say the least! I went through 3 stop signs and I could barely make it up a very small hill. I am afraid to drive this in a snowstorm! Is it the tires that come on the car, or is it my awd not working correctly? I am calling the dealer tommorow and I am taking him for a ride!

FYI....

Tires that come with the CX-7 and CX-9 suck ass for winter. You need to change your tires. This is a common problem with all cx-7 and 9 forum members. Dealer won't help you out at all... these are the tires Mazda has provided.

I have the Yokohoma Parada X-Specs and they have sucked during any incline driving in the snow.

We seem to be better off with a winter tire package. The stock tires SUCK in anything but dry weather.

Just had a big snow storm and my cx9 GT was a real dissapointment to say the least! I went through 3 stop signs and I could barely make it up a very small hill. I am afraid to drive this in a snowstorm! Is it the tires that come on the car, or is it my awd not working correctly? I am calling the dealer tommorow and I am taking him for a ride!

The stock tires are like teflon on ice and snow. Traction? What traction? Very bad.

CX-9 All Season Tires - Recommendations?

CX-9 GT, as we all know, stock tires SUCK in anything but dry weather! Anyone found a good replacement tire for the 20" rims, I was thinking of the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but have now read from some of you that they are just as bad with any light snow on the ground. I'm thinking of going with 255/50-20 Bridgstone Dueler H/L Alenza? Anyone have these?

CX-9 GT, as we all know, stock tires SUCK in anything but dry weather! Anyone found a good replacement tire for the 20" rims, I was thinking of the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but have now read from some of you that they are just as bad with any light snow on the ground. I'm thinking of going with 255/50-20 Bridgstone Dueler H/L Alenza? Anyone have these?

I just ordered the Pirelli Ice and Snow in 19". Not sure they make 20", but they are rated at the top for winter driving. I hope they handle like it. I spent $1500 for a full set with TPMS and Momo rims. I figured it was well worth the cost. If you buy winter tires then you will have noisey/terrible tires in the summer unless you switch them each season. In addition you will get twice the life out of your Duellers this way. The Duellers SUCK in winter, but are fine as summer tires. When you are done-sell the rims on Craigslist or Ebay.

I went with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in 255/50R-20 109V. So far I have found them to be great in dry and wet conditions but haven't been skiing yet to try them in the snow.

I think they will work Ok as I have the AWD on my GT. If I lived in snow country I would buy snow tires for the winter.

Good Luck

Tom

Thanks, I went with the Bridgestone H/L Alenza 255/50-20 a larger tire but looks like it will fit on the rim. I did some reading and it is definatly not a snow tire but I can't afford the snow tire/rim combo right now and with only 2-3 months of snow left I will need an all-season tire once the spring gets here. i will post back on saturday once they are installed on the stopping and feel of the tires. We should be getting some snow so I hope, they are good, I think they come with a 90 day drive and try.

blizzak LM-25 4x4 18 inch wheel combination from T-rack, there undersized 1.2 mph at 65, but for winter driving the best combination of spirited driving with snow/ice capability.

I slid through an intersection with the factory 20's went home and did some homework and decided on the LM -25 because they are a high performance tire and have been put on the x5's and rovers.

smooth ride and wouldn't have all seasons again, the good thing about the cx9 is the stability control allows you to have some control with the throttle breaking the rears loose when you need to. Not for novice drivers though.

I mentioned this in another thread - as with many others, I found the Duellers to be horrible in snow. Unfortunately it was impossible to find winter tires (Blizzaks) here in Toronto, so I had Michelin Latitude Tour HPs put on (245/50R20) - amazing difference. Good handling in snow, smoother ride and very little slippage on snow or ice. I highly recommend them

I wish I knew...

I wish I read this forum before... because last week I wrecked my cx9 due due to snow/ice on the road.

I was driving slowly, maybe 15mph, and approaching a red light, started breaking and guess what?? the break failed completely. I'm pretty sure the tires were not even spinning at that point, but the street was sloped and the car just kept going. Lucky for me, a pick-up truck with metal rods sticking out of his trunk was in front of me and so the front of my cx9 got completely smashed! Thank got I have full coverage.

Anyway, I am still shocked and do not understand what happened to ABS. Maybe I don't understand how it's suppose to work, but weren't the anti lock breaks supposed to prevent the car from slipping like that???

People get the good tires so this doesn't happen to your car!!!

Julie

Julie,
I don't think ABS can help you when your traction is a total loss.
Summer tires use a compound that hardens during cold weather.
That spells "disaster" on snow.
The OE tires of GT is fine on dry and wet condition, but not snow.

If your ABS was working you would have heard a distinct noise and felt the brake pedal pulsing under your foot.

Some people, when hearing & feeling this might let up on the brake pedal thinking something is wrong. But the right thing to do is hold the pedal down and let the ABS do its job.

I drove my old Explorer in the snow, with 4x4 on, this December and was sliding a TON with ABS pumping away like mad and getting no traction.

Sorry to hear about the accident, that sounds pretty scary!

Julie,
Sorry you wrecked your car. It is a lesson you will never forget though and at least nobody was hurt except your CX-9. You ABS brakes were likely working the way they are designed to, which was to stop the wheels from being locked. What ABS does is it detects one or all of your wheels skidding, then loosens the brakes so the wheels roll, then tightens the brakes until they just reach the skidding point, then loosens, etc. This happens many times per second. In really slippery snow or ice, the wheels start to slip the instant that the ABS tries to apply the brakes again, so the brakes are instantly turned off before any successful braking takes place. The result is that the car just rolls. And rolls. On a hill, with no snow tires, the car could keep rolling until the hill ends or you hit something. If you had an old car without ABS brakes, you would have skidded into that truck at maybe a slightly faster speed, but not by much. The fact of the matter is that with tires that do not have good snow traction, ABS does little to stop your vehicle in the snow. The real advantage is that with the wheels rolling instead of skidding, you retain your ability to steer (with greatly reduced steering response). The other advantage of ABS is that if just one of your 4 wheels gains some traction, you will have much quicker stopping ability than a car with no ABS breaks, because ABS works independently with each wheel so that one wheel will slow the car while the others keep gliding.

The best thing you can do once you get your car back, is to wait for another snowfall, and go out early in the morning to a large empty parking lot. There you can practice hitting the brakes as well as practice steering while stopping on snow. Learn how far it takes for your car to stop. It could take from 5 to 10 times the distance to stop compared to dry pavement.

But know that on a slight hill, like the one that you crashed on, there may be nothing you can do with the original tires if you have to stop quickly.

I came within a few feet of trashing the side of my CX-9 with the OEM tires ON THE WAY to get my snow tires installed (yeah; should have done it several weeks earlier).

I was going down a pretty steep hill, pretty darn slow.There was a large turn in the middle of the hill on the passenger side of the car. I saw it coming and figured I might have trouble so I began slowing even more a pretty good distance from the turn. The wheels let go completely as the hill steepened slightly; anti-lock kicked in but got almost no extra traction. I steered the best line I could toward the corner and then deliberately went off the road wide as I hit the bend. Got some traction on the gravel+snow shoulder and avoided a large stone wall by a few feet.

I was extremely relieved to make it to the tire shop unscathed and drive out an hour later rock-solid on Blizzaks. The OEM tires will never-ever touch snow or ice again on my CX-9.

-Jeff

Thanks for this infromation. I thought it was the brakes as well, but I am glad to know it is the tires. I will be replacing them this year.

I havent had any major clsoe calls, but I have had several skids. Even sometimes just driving into my drive way, the tires skid on the ice. I have to literally reverse and get traction and pull forward.

The OEM Bridgestone Duelers are good in dry but a complete disaster in snow/ice/slush. It is a very common & known issue here on CX-9 forums.

I replaced all 4 with Yokohama Parada Spec-X. HUGE difference. Highly recommended!

Back