SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

I’m guessing “sooty” is measured in insolubles. I was looking up and down the chart for carbon and realized oh, right. Oil is carbon XD
Yep. Blackstone has an optional soot test you can pay $10 extra for. I did it once early on but seems like a waste of money since it tracks along with insolubules.

Kind of like paying the extra $10 for the TBN report ... No use doing it every time unless you're changing brand of oil or your run time on it or something and you want to know how the additive package is holding up.

Latest UOA on the Turbo. Amsoil XL 5w30 and mazda oem filter. The used oil was taken after very short drive. This summer we also had many 110-112F days and I did drove a lot more extensively (highway, high rpms and hills) during those day. That may also play a role for the oil losing some temp/viscosity abilities and moving into 0w20 territory or its just the fuel dillution that messes up the analysis.

IMG_5029.jpeg

Last edited:
Latest UOA on the Turbo. Amsoil XL 5w30 and mazda oem filter. The used oil was taken after very short drive. This summer we also had many 110-112F days and I did drove a lot more extensively (highway, high rpms and hills) during those day. That may also play a role for the oil losing some temp/viscosity abilities and moving into 0w20 territory or its just the fuel dillution that messes up the analysis.

View attachment 322293
Any plans to give a different oil a try? I’m planning 5k mile intervals for my ‘23 Turbo, and will give Mobil1 5w-30 Advanced Full Synthetic a shot.

View attachment 322293
Why such a short interval? 4 months and 2600 mi is very short, esp when the 'severe' maintenance schedule is 6 months/5k mi

wow kind of surprising. does not look like amsoil had any better additives than factory fill and less moly. flash point low and viscosity low. in reality the wear additives are essentially the same.

wow kind of surprising. does not look like amsoil had any better additives than factory fill and less moly. flash point low and viscosity low. in reality the wear additives are essentially the same.
That’s what I was noticing. This UOA was perfectly timed as I was considering Amsoil XL. This is their cheaper oil line that isn’t rated for the long 20k mile intervals. That would be their Signature Series which costs more.

Usually I change it around 6mo on both cars but this time the car will just sit for few months thus the reason it was changed a bit early.
Amsoil XL is a good oil but is higher price than the regular synthetics off the shelf. I do get it discounted for a box so the price is not much more than the Mazda moly 0w20 that I use on my other CX5. Was thinking of trying the Signature Amsoil but it is not api certified so not sure how it would play with the Mazda warranty. It does say use any 5w30 as long as it has the API mark.
The signature has more additives and cannot be certified.

About the the other off the shelf synthetics, they are probably very good too but I am just not a fan. Idemitsu 5w30 (sadly they no longer sell the premium line) may be good shot too.

Sorry for the translation (google translate) but one can see the extra stuff only in foreign forums or sites that fully test everything in oils. Fresh oil tests

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_5031.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

IMG_5035.jpeg

Amsoil 5w30 Signature
IMG_5040.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Usually I change it around 6mo on both cars but this time the car will just sit for few months thus the reason it was changed a bit early.
Amsoil XL is a good oil but is higher price than the regular synthetics off the shelf. I do get it discounted for a box so the price is not much more than the Mazda moly 0w20 that I use on my other CX5. Was thinking of trying the Signature Amsoil but it is not api certified so not sure how it would play with the Mazda warranty. It does say use any 5w30 as long as it has the API mark.
The signature has more additives and cannot be certified.

About the the other off the shelf synthetics, they are probably very good too but I am just not a fan. Idemitsu 5w30 (sadly they no longer sell the premium line) may be good shot too.

Sorry for the translation (google translate) but one can see the extra stuff only in foreign forums or sites that fully test everything in oils. Fresh oil tests

View attachment 322317

View attachment 322314

View attachment 322326

View attachment 322327
I wouldn’t bother with the Amsoil Signature Series either. You’re paying extra for an extended interval imo, and you make a good point about the lack of API certification.

I’ve been looking into Mobil1 5w30 ESP. It supposedly holds up well long term with a higher shear strength, but by design lacks a higher additive package to ensure longevity of emissions equipment. I also read about Shell Rotella here on a turbo oil choice thread. They make a light truck formula that holds up well over time by the tradeoff there could be slightly lower gas mileage.

Re-sharing my experience from older thread with Rotella multi-vehicle. Still unbeatable for oil dilution.

Sharing an experience with Rotella 5w-30 (multi-vehicle).

This oil turned out to be particularly good for engines with dilution. Got a hint from WRX forums and got repro on both of my cars. Rotella results marked with red:

1: 2015 WRX started to show diluted analysis after a Stage1 protune.
2: 2019 CX9 - dilution issue started from 5k miles, well described here ) To mitigate the issue I used to run very short intervals and was consistently getting low viscosity within 2200 miles. Now I can get back to 5k intervals or even longer. Amazing.View attachment 314330View attachment 314331

The Rotella 5w-30 is pricey, but exactly in November Nappa runs a special.

Oil viscosity was 0w-20 for your Turbo? That’s odd. Makes me want to get the factory fill out of my ‘23 with 2500 miles, pour 5w-30 in there to ensure it’s really 5w-30.
Yes, that is very strange that the factory fill on his 2.5T is rated as 0W-20 on viscosity??? :unsure: And it isn’t the Mazda 0W-20 moly oil used as the factory fill in 2.5L NA where the molybdenum content will be 600+ in UOA.

Thought I'd share my 1st change at 1200 miles. As noted above, my oil does not appear to be "high moly" either.

Along with Moly, Calcium has also come down, presumably to meet modern standards and reduce LSPI.

My wear metals appear very similar to @ch3no2 's numbers, but with a different (more accurate?) fuel dilution measurement.

skyactiv-g-2-5-turbo-oil-analysis-at-first-change.jpg

I replaced the factory oil with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for better LSPI protection, cold flow, and resistance to high temp breakdown.

Last edited:
Oil viscosity was 0w-20 for your Turbo? That’s odd. Makes me want to get the factory fill out of my ‘23 with 2500 miles, pour 5w-30 in there to ensure it’s really 5w-30.
If fuel dilution is high enough, it reduces the viscosity. Blackstone didn't note a significant amount, though. Puzzling. They use different test methods, Blackstone and Oil Analyzers.

Thought I'd share my 1st change at 1200 miles. As noted above, my oil does not appear to be "high moly" either.

Along with Moly, Calcium has also come down, presumably to meet modern standards and reduce LSPI.

My wear metals appear very similar to @ch3no2 's numbers, but with a different (more accurate?) fuel dilution measurement.

View attachment 324251

I replaced the factory oil with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for better LSPI protection, cold flow, and resistance to high temp breakdown.
Only the 2.5 NA engines get the Idemitsu 0w-20 w/moly oil.

Why change so soon at 1200 mi? Why do you think that the Penzoil is better than the OEM Idemitsu 5w-30 that it came with?

Had the engine been brought up to operating temp before the sample was taken?

Like @dunhillmc mentioned above, Mazda’s 2.5T has never received high-moly oil from factory fill like the 2.5L NA does.

And I wouldn’t change the factory oil at 1,200 miles either like I used to many years ago. I changed my factory-fill a bit earlier than Mazda recommended maintenance schedule at 4,800 miles or 30% of oil life remaining on Flexible OCI.

Back