SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

@Tribe&TrueRacin , it'll be interesting to see the results. Out of curiosity, did you run the engine any before you drained a sample out?
NO. There is no battery currently in it, no gas in the fuel tank which I removed and cleaned before storing. In fact I had to vacuum underneath it to get all the dust and cobb webs to even get to the drain plug. :ROFLMAO:

I took these pictures the other day when I mention that the containers were deteriorating. Most of them I have already used the oil but here are a few that had not cracked and busted open. Looks like I had these since inventory 7/2001 so at least 20+ years before I received these from my distributor and who knows maybe they had them at least a couple or months before I got them. Both of these were garage stored and in plastic storage containers. The original ones had open ends at the bottom and when the first oil bottle broke I changed out all my supply to close bottom stage containers. One mess all over my garage floor was enough for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_150354095_2.jpg
    IMG_20220423_150354095_2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20220423_150413569_2.jpg
    IMG_20220423_150413569_2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20220423_150449596_2.jpg
    IMG_20220423_150449596_2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20220423_150452361_2.jpg
    IMG_20220423_150452361_2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20220423_150459270_2.jpg
    IMG_20220423_150459270_2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
Results from my latest oil change:

I do notice that my coolant does drop below the full line every few months to the mid line but I'm not sure if that's related to the issue with the other thread where they reported a TSB.

May 2021: I was using AMSOIL 0W-20 still and the Mobil M1-108A filter

April 2022: I was using the Costco brand 0W-20 oil and the Mazda 1WPE-14-302 filter.

1651529207795.png

Last edited:
I bought and will use the Costco brand synthetic, also. It appears to meet or exceed all oil requirements for Mazda. I typically use K&N oil filters.
Up first: 2014 Mazda 3 SGT (0W-20)
Next: 2008 MX5 (5W-20)

I bought and will use the Costco brand synthetic, also. It appears to meet or exceed all oil requirements for Mazda. I typically use K&N oil filters.
Up first: 2014 Mazda 3 SGT (0W-20)
Next: 2008 MX5 (5W-20)
I wanted to give you a thumbs up but I do not support COSTCO products or patronize them in any capacity.
But I do like and use K&N products and have for so many years without any concerns or negative results. (y)

@Tribe&TrueRacin , it'll be interesting to see the results. Out of curiosity, did you run the engine any before you drained a sample out?
This was an excellent question so I contacted Black Stone Labs and talked with them about what I was doing and the question you pose to me. Accordingly they indicated it would not have mattered because of the condition the engine.
My thought would be and the reason I did not start the engine aside from having to do a lot of work to get to that point of starting it would have been simply mixing up the motor oil that had settled over the years and perhaps effecting the analysis in some why.

I took the sample today. What a mess just getting enough to fill that little bottle. Pull the drain plug get enough oil and then target the drain toil thread and reinstall the drain plug/ :ROFLMAO:
So as you can see I purposely left out some information on the order so that the results would be 100% accurate by the findings.

Will post result as soon as I get it.
The remaining I poured in a empty water bottle so you all can see it is very clean and new oil with only 15 miles sine that oil was changed and filled in the engine 13(not 12) years ago. The down side is I can't find the information on the oil filter which is a canister type was changed then. Oh well I am not sure that would matter because the canister is at the top of the motor and any oil would have drain back into the sump in a few years if not 13 years. I am going to guess that I did change it because that's the way I am and I have minus one in a 6 pack of filter that only fits that engine.
Well here is the result of the sample.

You all can make you own conclusions.
Mine is that the oil did not degrade or lesson in anyway from being stored for 21 years before using it?

It was fun doing this analysis of the oil!

IMG_20220505_085807937_2.jpg

IMG_20220505_085820753_2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_085807937_2.jpg
    IMG_20220505_085807937_2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20220505_085820753_2.jpg
    IMG_20220505_085820753_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 115
I have 17 year old oil in my basement, the bottles have not discolored at all. I think it is light that discolors the bottles. My old oil is for lawn equipment, I have no worries at all about using my old oil.

I have 17 year old oil in my basement, the bottles have not discolored at all. I think it is light that discolors the bottles. My old oil is for lawn equipment, I have no worries at all about using my old oil.
Good thought however my oil was stored in an indoor storage facility for about a decade or more than in my garage in these containers. Never getting light. Now maybe heat might have been a factor when I moved them into my garage which may have accelerated the bottles deterioration. But then I have several automotive chemicals and other motor and drivetrain lubricants that did not have the bottle deteriorating. Only the synthetic motor oils and chemicals with Xylene in plastic bottles?

IMG_20220507_085448560edit.jpg

Results from my latest oil change:

I do notice that my coolant does drop below the full line every few months to the mid line but I'm not sure if that's related to the issue with the other thread where they reported a TSB.

May 2021: I was using AMSOIL 0W-20 still and the Mobil M1-108A filter

April 2022: I was using the Costco brand 0W-20 oil and the Mazda 1WPE-14-302 filter.

View attachment 309738
Thanks for the report.

I too have noticed antifreeze drop and will be checking this.

Bought the cpo used car in August, changed oil in October and checked antifreeze level at time which was normal. Blackstone report was also normal.

Took to dealer for autobody work. Oil was full on dipstick before dropped at dealers, didn't check antifreeze level. Got back from dealer... Oil was in middle of dipstick and antifreeze overflow tank was just at / slightly below low level.

Will now be checking antifreeze level along with the oil level on weekly basis to see if keeps dropping. And get another Blackstone report at next oil change.

Will post new test results here.

Blackstone report back.
Looks good. The Castrol oil was ok. No antifreeze showing up either. BL recommends not changing at 5000 miles and to push it to 9000 mile oil change. However, based on their good report, will be changing it at the Mazda 7,500 interval to keep warranty active.

Latest report. 2.5NA. All oil changes are with Mazda Moly 0w20 oil and oem filters.
The last 1500 miles prior the oil change were with Chevron 91. Shell 91 fuel was used before. Dont know if that matters.

275A5F3D-087F-4CB9-86A3-10B05CDD87F1.jpeg

You could easily go 6,000+ miles on each oil fill. Save some cash! After all, that's sort of what these reports are for, right?

I’m very comfortable with 5-6,000 miles between o/f changes. If I listened to clowns at the Stealership, I supposed to bring my ol’ girl in every 3 month/3,000 mile intervals. That’s NOT happening. I’ve discovered the only thing they service is your wallet. Doing it myself, now.

Funny, in retrospect, how much better I feel about the job being done by me instead of them.

My 52.5k mile UOA on my 2019 North American 2.2 diesel is back from Blackstone. I've done a UOA on every change since new except at 45k miles. I have a sample from that one but chose not to send it in. I did a couple (3) of 5k mile interval changes to see if there would be any benefit. I don't see a benefit so back to 7.5k MI interval. Powertrain warranty is up at next service (60k mi) and I may take it to 10k MI interval with the Mobil1 0w30 ESP since it shows it can go farther with a 3.4 TBN and good insolubles with Mazda oem filters.

The Mobil1 0w30 ESP seems to out perform the Mazda branded 0w30 diesel engine oil with a more robust additive package and better shear stability maintaining it's viscosity better.

Wal-Mart had a sale on it (online) and had 48 qts delivered to my door so I'm set for another 8 oil changes lol.

20220611 52.5k UOA redacted.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.

I too have noticed antifreeze drop and will be checking this.

Bought the cpo used car in August, changed oil in October and checked antifreeze level at time which was normal. Blackstone report was also normal.

Took to dealer for autobody work. Oil was full on dipstick before dropped at dealers, didn't check antifreeze level. Got back from dealer... Oil was in middle of dipstick and antifreeze overflow tank was just at / slightly below low level.

Will now be checking antifreeze level along with the oil level on weekly basis to see if keeps dropping. And get another Blackstone report at next oil change.

Will post new test results here.
So bought Mazda at the end of July last year. Checked antifreeze level In October/November at which point is was normal. Took to body-shop for work in April and recieved car back with anti-freeze just below the fill line. Topped it off and it's been 3 months and the mark hasn't moved. Could the dealer auto-body shop have removed fluid from the reservoir? Still unsure how or why the antifreeze level drop occured. Will continue to watch levels and get Blackstone reports.

Just below the "fill" line? Do you mean the "full" line? You don't really want it at the Full line when cold, because it needs the space in the tank for expansion. Ideally you want it just above the "cold" or "low" line, or about halfway in between, when the engine is cold. The check the level with the engine hot after driving. You don't want the level to be down around Low, or below, when the engine is hot.

But no, the level in that tank fluctuates depending on if the engine is hot or cold. I seriously doubt the body shop removed any coolant, unless they were doing work in that area of the car.

Just below the "fill" line? Do you mean the "full" line? You don't really want it at the Full line when cold, because it needs the space in the tank for expansion. Ideally you want it just above the "cold" or "low" line, or about halfway in between, when the engine is cold. The check the level with the engine hot after driving. You don't want the level to be down around Low, or below, when the engine is hot.

But no, the level in that tank fluctuates depending on if the engine is hot or cold. I seriously doubt the body shop removed any coolant, unless they were doing work in that area of the car.
By normal, I mean the coolant level was halfway between the min and max lines when I checked in November.

However when I received the vehicle back it was below the min mark @ cold. They were working on the hood and surrounding areas. I don't know why they would have emptied the coolant. And they should have refilled.

But if I hadn't checked it, I would have been driving around with low coolant. And since I topped it, there hasn't been any loss so will just watch it for now to ensure no leakage into engine.

By normal, I mean the coolant level was halfway between the min and max lines when I checked in November.

However when I received the vehicle back it was below the min mark @ cold. They were working on the hood and surrounding areas. I don't know why they would have emptied the coolant. And they should have refilled.

But if I hadn't checked it, I would have been driving around with low coolant. And since I topped it, there hasn't been any loss so will just watch it for now to ensure no leakage into engine.

My car has likely been a little below the Low line for months or even years before I topped it up this past weekend. You'll be fine. :)

My car has likely been a little below the Low line for months or even years before I topped it up this past weekend. You'll be fine. :)
The auto manufactures a few year ago determined that DIY ( and even old trained mechanics) don't understand the low and full marks. You would be surprised that the low or slightly below the marks no longer mean danger...... as they once did.

:)

Back