SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Severe service calls for 3000 mile oil changes, doesn't it? no matter what kind or brand of oil.
I had to do a double-take on your oil change intervals. Are you really changing your oil every 2500-3500 miles?! That seems kinda excessive on a vehicle that calls for 7500 mi oil changes.

There is no problem using the full synthetic Mazda moly oil for 5000, 7500, or probably even 10k miles

I change it every 6 months for severe and dusty (which is Arizona) and usually its less than 5k miles because of less driving recent years.
Would love to see other Arizona CX5s UOA to compare but I dont think there are any yet.

The temps of the oil exceed normal ranges when its 110F outside, if I find the stats (used to monitor it from the obd) I would post. It is severe in the summer. The CX5 also does not have any way to cool the oil.

Last edited:
You can always try GF-6 0W-20 oil until you have run out the powertrain warranty. Then go for GF-6 5W-30 in hot Arizona. After all Mazda recommends 0W-20 AND 5W-30 oil worldwide on SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L anyway.

That sounds like a good idea. Thank you.

I had to do a double-take on your oil change intervals. Are you really changing your oil every 2500-3500 miles?! That seems kinda excessive on a vehicle that calls for 7500 mi oil changes.

There is no problem using the full synthetic Mazda moly oil for 5000, 7500, or probably even 10k miles
Yes I agree. Other than 7,500 miles, we should change the oil in 12 months even if the oil is used less than 7,500 miles on CX-5. That happens to a lot of people in 2020 due to the pandemic. I changed my oil last December due to 12-month time but drove only 2,728 miles for the entire year. The wrench indicator and “Oil change due” message were displayed due to the 12-month oil service time too while the oil life remaining display was down to 0%.

Changing oil every 2,500 ~ 3,500 miles is good to the engine, but it’s bad to our pocket and environment. It’s been discussed before, when I go to oil recycle center dumping my used oil, 50% of the used oil collected actually just gets burned off-shore in the US! That’s why Flexible OCI is mostly mandated in Europe and Asia for many years for environmental concerns.

The oil life monitor on my 2000 BMW 528i has Flexible OCI up to 17,500 miles! I have to get a Peake R5 reset tool to clear the "Oil Service" inspection message.

severe is 5k miles
For severe driving conditions, Mazda recommends Schedule 2 maintenance. For oil change, it is either Flexible OCI, or fixed 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

I understand Mazda says if driving in dusty conditions, you want to use “Fixed” 5,000-mile / 6-month OCI. I believe that’s what cz5gt follows.

I expect that when the rest of the Mazda line-up gets updated, they will go to a 10k OCI like the Mazda3 and CX30 have already

I expect that when the rest of the Mazda line-up gets updated, they will go to a 10k OCI like the Mazda3 and CX30 have already
Toyota has gone to 10,000-mile / 12-month OCI for several years. I’m not surprised Mazda will follow the longer OCI. The problem is a lot of people won’t follow the long OCI, or won’t follow the oil change reminder even if the Flexible OCI is used.

BTW, the Flexible OCI on my 2016 CX-5 has been up to 10,000 miles or 12 months like new Mazda3 and CX-30.

Yep. Eveyrthing you say is correct.
I am also ok with 12 months given the miles I drive but cant because of the warranty.
Already been for 2 warranty claims on the engine components (one was the oil valve for the cams) and the first question was when did you change the oil and what oil and filter did you use, before they even proceed with the warranty repair.
May have to go again soon as the stipid chain cover/oil pan oil leak has returned even though its much less than before.
So for now I play by the books.

Its been 7000 miles since my last oil change which was in November of last year. In the past I did more of a 5000 mile interval, but analysis reports indicated that that wasn't really needed for me. 2014 does not have a flexible OCI monitor.

Yep. Eveyrthing you say is correct.
I am also ok with 12 months given the miles I drive but cant because of the warranty.
Already been for 2 warranty claims on the engine components (one was the oil valve for the cams) and the first question was when did you change the oil and what oil and filter did you use, before they even proceed with the warranty repair.
May have to go again soon as the stipid chain cover/oil pan oil leak has returned even though its much less than before.
So for now I play by the books.
Wow, your 2018 CX-5 has already had oil control valve、timing chain cover、 and oil pan leaks at 18,172 miles?

Timing chain cover leak is hard to fix even if the dealer can follow the pretty complicated procedures outlined in the TSB. You may have to get a new (revised and larger?) oil pan to fix the oil pan leak. (Ask madar ⋯ )

Wow, your 2018 CX-5 has already had oil control valve、timing chain cover、 and oil pan leaks at 18,172 miles?

Timing chain cover leak is hard to fix even if the dealer can follow the pretty complicated procedures outlined in the TSB. You may have to get a new (revised and larger?) oil pan to fix the oil pan leak. (Ask madar ⋯ )
That is a lot of issues for 18K miles. On the positive side your engine is in great shape based on the oil analysis report. No fuel or antifreeze in the oil.

I was kind of 'on the fence' about my last oil change at something around 3k miles, but it was a year, so I changed it.
The oil looked pretty dirty, so I'm glad I did. It doesn't cost much. They can recycle the oil. They usually ask what kind of oil it is at the place I leave it. For all I know someone that works there might dump it into an old truck or something.

They usually ask what kind of oil it is at the place I leave it. For all I know someone that works there might dump it into an old truck or something.
Or maybe they pour it back into a 4 quart jug, and resell it as new to some other sucker....lol. Nothing surprises me these days.

yep, pretty much all the oil leaks tsbs :)
The oil control valve was also bad itself. But I reference that to junk from the oil pan/chain leak fix. The oil was never changed when they did the fix and who knows what particles got into the oil pipes after the fix and re-use of the old oil.
So far things are ok. I will check on the different oil pan. Thanks.
That would be a fight I assume to get it changed under warranty.

I think Kedis82ZE8 also had the issue with the timing chain cover leak if I recall?

I was kind of 'on the fence' about my last oil change at something around 3k miles, but it was a year, so I changed it. The oil looked pretty dirty, so I'm glad I did. It doesn't cost much.
Yeah I followed the notification from Mazda’s oil life monitor and changed the oil last December for one year time period but only been used for 2,728 miles.

⋯ They can recycle the oil. They usually ask what kind of oil it is at the place I leave it. For all I know someone that works there might dump it into an old truck or something.
I dump my used oil at a city-run recycle location. There’s a big container shaped like a Dogloo and you just dump any kind of the used oil in and no questions asked. If the recycle place did ask you what kind of the oil, it’s possible they can reuse it for the same purpose.

I think Kedis82ZE8 also had the issue with the timing chain cover leak if I recall?
Yes, and the dealer had tried at least twice to fix the timing chain cover leak, but he still sees some seepage around the timing chain cover. If I remember it correctly, he also had either oil pan or rear crankshaft bearing leak too.

I dump my used oil at a city-run recycle location. There’s a big container shaped like a Dogloo and you just dump any kind of the used oil in and no questions asked. If the recycle place did ask you what kind of the oil, it’s possible they can reuse it for the same purpose.
I always take mine to Advanced Auto Parts or O'Reilly. They have a big container in the back room to dump used oil. Not sure what they do with it all after as I am sure it is just a big mix of various used fluids.

Yes, and the dealer had tried at least twice to fix the timing chain cover leak, but he still sees some seepage around the timing chain cover. If I remember it correctly, he also had either oil pan or rear crankshaft bearing leak too.
Yeah and I had an oil pan leak that got fixed in November. I was frankly not comfortable messing with the RTV.

Back