Seeking advice for my Protege5 error codes P0660, P0401 and P0456

Hi fellow P5 owners!

I had this beauty in red color for almost 3 years and put about 35k miles on it and it has about 205k total at the moment. I moved to Lake Tahoe 2 years ago and it is when I started to have issues and I am almost certain the extreme cold is causing worn out parts to fail.

Most recently, I replaced air intake hose, it had a crack and I was losing power and at the same time, I replaced spark plugs and ignition coil. No more check engine for a while and a few weeks later I got these codes:

P0456 - EVAP related, could be hoses due to cold or gas tank cap, unsure how to test and find but this seems the least concerning of the problems.
P0660 - EGR Valve
P0401 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

I read the forums and some of these might be related to some solenoids. It seems to be these issues are linked to vacuum leak in general.

I would like advise on how to approach this issue. I watched a video to clean/replace EGR Valve and seems easy to do for me. Specifically, what parts should I check/test in which order to address this issue?

I love this car, I have been at a crossroad to whether to sell and get a new car or put money in this car to make it nice. It has been in CA since first purchase and only been in snow the past 2 years. I dont want it to be neglected either but also I never lived in a snow town before in my life so still learning.... Appreciate any advice community has.

If I keep it I would want to do these, not all but most if I could...

Must haves:
- All rubber seals need to be replaced as far as I can tell (there is no water leak anywhere thought it would give protection, preventative care it needs)
- Timing belt due
- All belts/hoses
- CV boot
- Struts/Suspensions
- Brake pads due soon

Nice to have:
- Traction: New Tires (I cannot find all terrain tires for this car in the market, there is not enough room. I use Toyo all season my commute is so short home to work so I didn't bother to get snow tires but when it snows heavy it gets slushy and low clearance makes it hard at times). Apparently P5 was also built as 4wd vehicle in Japan which made me even more curious about possibilities.
- More Power: If I do put money in this car, I would want more power also to be honest so maybe non turbo new engine with more horsepower swap. There is a guy on instagram I Forgot his name, sorry about that and he made a gorgeous built non turbo build with some MazdaSpeed parts that I loved.)

Thanks!

Ned

the 401 is most likely one of the valves on top of the manifold. check vacuum lines first. fixing that would probably clear the 456. yeah, remove and clean egr.....known to carbon foul itself.

the 401 is most likely one of the valves on top of the manifold.

These are the two valves i12drivemyMP5 is referring to.

Screenshot_20230209-152301_Gallery.jpg

I think everyone here on this forum has had to replace one or both of those valves.

These are the choices at Rockauto.

The $13.37 one is all you need.
The other ones that have the same design are the same thing.

Screenshot_20230209-153012_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230209-153039_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230209-153143_DuckDuckGo.jpg

These are the two valves i12drivemyMP5 is referring to.

View attachment 316931

I think everyone here on this forum has had to replace one or both of those valves.

These are the choices at Rockauto.

The $13.37 one is all you need.
The other ones that have the same design are the same thing.

View attachment 316932View attachment 316933View attachment 316934
Thank you so much this was quite helpful. I never worked on cars before but I learned about my car quite a bit the past 2 months. I am going to make this a project car. My car is more responsive after changing the parts, my CEL is gone and smoke test done.

Back