Rx8 won't start

averyclements

:
mazda rx8
Alright so I have received a 2004 mazda rx8 for graduating the problem is the car doesn't start and hasn't been started in four years the car belonged to my brother who passed away and after that a bunch of court bulls*** went down and the car ended up being put into storage until now witch is a little over four years later, I love the car to death and my dad tried to move it one day he filled it up with gas from a can tried to roll it over and it was turning over but very very slow it was not turning fast enough to start so we got a brand new battery and tried and then we heard a spark and seen a bit of smoke coming from the engine when we opened it so I was thinking it may have fried a solenoid in the starter or something? Any information would help I don't know anything about rotary engines but I love the car and would love to have it on the road and be driving it in his honour

Also I remember whenever he had the car in the winter he checked the oil and he said it seemed like there was water in the oil he passed a few weeks after saying this and the car wasn't touched since I was wondering if that would be a blown head gasket as the car has 206k kms on it

change the oil and filter first. then if you have the equipment, drain the gas tank and fill with new gas. make sure your fuel lines are cleared of old gas and or contamination by taking the fuel feed line off the rail and keep priming the pump. ensure gas goes into a container and not all over the engine compartment. check the power and ground cables that attach to the starter. sounds like they could be corroded or melted. if so, replace them. pull spark plugs out, disengage ignition and fuel. turn the engine over for a good 5 seconds to clear rotors of gas since they tend to flood. test for good spark, compression, and fuel. try to start the car.

Not a big rotary guy.but I know that rotary engines get milky oil if they aren't driven long distances often.idk if this is the case, considering your brother said it had a blown head gasket

Well he said he thought it may be blown or close to it bc of the milky oil but he didn't know much about the car either he didn't even have it for a year, but I did look on the Internet and seen that there known to have milky oil if driven short distances especially in the cold so this may be the case as it was the winter time when he noticed it too

Thanks alot that helps alot honestly imma try getting a new starter maybe an upgraded one too?

id stick with OEM if it was my car when it comes to starters, especially a rotary, when everything is working correctly they turn over quite fast.

Alright thanks alot man, the car has stainless steel hks exhaust system that apparently was like a 2000 dollar exhaust system at the time the guy put it on, I don't know to much about them

f26925076fa27363d8d217e1ece29ba2.jpg

Its sharp.id start with the basics see if you can get it to start up.if so let it run the tank of gas out.change the fluids.if its milky than its most likely the head gasket.if so stay away from sealants like blue devil.just replace the headgasket and get the head resurfaced.

Ok, first off your car has a rotary engine so it doesn't have "heads" or "head gaskets". Your car doesn't have pistons in it, it has rotors. In my opinion your car is likely flooded. And since it's sat a while I would do things in this order:

1. Change oil and oil filter

2. Follow the de-flood procedure for your car.

Google this: rx8 club deflood procedure

Or you can search youtube for: rx8 deflood procedure

Once you get it running I would do all of the following:

1. Clean the MAF

2. Clean the ESS

3. Change ignition coils

4. Change spark plugs and wires

All of which you can search the RX8 Club forums for the "Do It Yourself" instructions or just search google or youtube. The RX8 Club has much more info than you can find on this site for your car. Good luck on owning a unique car and a piece of history.

Back