rx7,supra or the wrx

rosendo192000

:
protege
hey im going to have a choice of buying a car in two months and i was wounding if i could get any feedbacks . my choices are a 93 and up "twin turbo rx7 5speed " , "nonturbo 5speed supra , twin turbo supra but with automatic tranny" or should i just get a wrx but not the sti
And i was wondering about how reliable are the rx7 with high mileage

id go WRX...after all you cant beat a NEW car, the rx7 and auto turbo supra are close....my friends got a heavuly modded supra thats auto and it has so much power that the tranny doesnt even matter

Well; first of all - Automatic Transmission? NO WAY!!

I would be afraid of buying a used twin turbo RX-7. Unless of course; you are willing to put maintenance into it. But you never know, I guess.

I would consider, possibly, the new RX-8. Under $30,000...it might be a Winner!!

The WRX (new) is cool, but I am still not convinced about Subaru reliabiilty down the road. Sweet car, though.

Well you have already brought up the reliability factor as far as the 7 goes. So this may mean you aren't financially prepared to own a 7 or rather, are willing to risk the trouble of potential frequent maintenance/costs. Which is fine. :)

I'd say go with Mark IV Supra then. Best bang for the buck when considering it against the WRX.

The question is....... Do you want an automatic? Part of the fun of being an enthusist is manual gear change. I will never own an automatic. A manual transmission is part of the 'Sport of Driving.

simple as that.....

,,,just remember; anytime you purhase a 'used' Sports 'type' Car, you are taking a little risk. Especially true, with a turbo car.

Last edited:
well the thing is i don't want a auto. because protege is already a auto so im try to stay away from them , the thing is that want a supra but i probably could only afford the nonturbo version or the twin turbo auto .
And as the rx7 i just don't know much of a rotary engine (on the reliability) specially on a high mileage or rebuilt engine
well the good thing i have two months to pick out the car want

My opinion...

RX-7: These rotaries have a high maintainence cost due to the fact that the rotary engine is not as reliable in those years in production. But it's a rare beauty if you can afford to own one, transmission is relatively weak compare to Supra but it's gear more towards performance road course driving. Be careful when you boost as the turbo is rather weak and watch your plumbing lines...

Supra: Twin Turbo is the way to go, if you get a 5-speed NA and plan to swap in to TT be careful as the swap is not as easy as scoop and drop, a lot of electrical and extra turbo stuff really add to the bill. If you don't like AT, don't get it even if it's a TT, when you boost, the auto tranny won't hold. BTW the Supra is gear more towards shear drag so handling might be a little different, and Supra is hard to drive well as I've experienced first-hand in comparison to the RX-7.

WRX: A beautiful car indeed, amazing in Rally with it's 4WD so it's yet a different kind of performance speed beast. If you like Rally style, WRX is the one for you, when you boost, just be careful and take care of your tranny first as WRX has a even weaker and awkward geared tranny. But my personal opinion say if you plan to boost the WRX, wait for the STi or get the EVO as they have a stronger internal and tranny to start with....

Just my personal opinion as I've driven all three before and this is based on my feeling driving.... Nonetheless, they are all great and I understand it's a difficult choice to make. Whatever you'll be getting, good luck with it!

well yeah thats i want was plannig to get , but then again i want the rx7 , its not going to be use for racing , but just for the wekends (once in a while take a ride from sf to la). and i guess i could slowly tune it up and maintain the rotarie engine . RIGHT?

the twin turbo on the FD is known for being very temperamental, any kind of bad tuning can ruin it, which in turn destroy the engine.

rotary engines HATE overheat, pretty much one overheat and you are done.

on top of the bad stories regarding the FD, it is WAY overpriced for its age.

15k for 1993 car that sold for 35-ish? for comparison, a 1991 FC sells for about 3000...

I'm sorry, i don't really want to buy a 10-YEAR-OLD car for 15k...

Look it's the most exclusive over seas import (89 to 91 Turbo II) some one mentioned the costs around 3000 dollars mine was 3400 the car was un touched and in good shape 210 horsepower is what sold me. currently I have 140,000 original miles on the car with pleanty of mods. They are hard to find, look bad ass, and a new engine is 1900 dollars (way less than any piston engine). I wouldn't buy a 3rd gen cause unless you have patience with mechanical tasks, it would be costly to have work done. Personally I wouldn't buy any car other than a mazda so the others don't interest me

to sum it up try your hardest to find a 89-91 Turbo II RX-7 I promise you won't regret it!!

Well, I say get an FC and go talk to Rishie about it. Alls I know is that I want your hood if you sell your car.

Back