rx7 3rd gen. differences

hi im a new owner of a 3rd gen. 93 rx7---so ive heard throughout the 3rd gen models there are different types--can anyone inform me on these types at the moment i have down the r1, r2, enfini, touring, base--i would like to know the best quality/fastest of the models and which yr---thanks

Well, let's see...
In 93 they offered three models:
R1- Less bling but a little more 'go' oriented. Two oil coolers, factory front strut bar, bigger front air-dam, cloth seats, stiffer shocks, 'Z' rated tires and came with a rear spoiler. No cruise, no CD (only AM/FM cassette), no fog- lights, no rear wiper, sun roof not available.
TOURING - as the name implies: leather seats, only one oil cooler (driver's side), small front air-dam, but came standard with options like BOSE AM/FM CD with the snake-like tubes in the rear luggage area, Fog lights, cruise control and rear wiper. There were a few other available options, like a sun roof and (gulp) an automatic transmission (eek2) . And it had slightly softer shock rates.
BASE: As the name implies, it came with just standard features. Also had cloth seats of a "hound's tooth" type pattern.
Regardless of the 'model' and year (93-95), all came with the same sequential twin-turbo 13b REW making the same HP and torque.

I'm not all that familiar with the other year's options, but IIRC, the 93 'R1' model became the 'R2' in 1994 and 95. And there was something called the Preferred Equipment Package (PEP) package (?). Oh, and "Chaiste White" was offered as a color option for the first time. There were other minor changes, such as interior plastic getting a new textured finish that was more scratch resistant...but maybe not as good looking as the previous smooth finish. There were many other minor design changes too, like the upgraded 5th gear synchro and shift select spindle, which cured a problem that the 93 models had.
Efini models were only sold overseas and, I believe, all were right-hand drive. Because Mazda stopped selling the FD in North America in 1995, none were ever available here. Depending on the year, some had slightly upgraded turbos and a few other tweaks that increase HP a bit. And the front facia was also changed to include larger air intake for the radiator and IC.
I know theres alot I've forgotten, but that's what comes to mind. :)

Last edited:
thanks

dude thanks so much you helped me alot--well i came to find i have a touring 93 it does have a 5th gear scratch but its all cool well i cant wait to make this rx awesome-and the enfini sounds so awesome i would love to have a right hand drive car...maybe someday when im older ill have a skyline and all the kids in town will think im a crazy old granny lol later
Signal 2 said:
Well, let's see...
R1- Less bling but a little more 'go' oriented. Two oil coolers, factory front strut bar, bigger front air-dam, cloth seats, stiffer shocks, 'Z' rated tires and came with a rear spoiler. No cruise, no CD (only AM/FM cassette), no fog- lights, no rear wiper, sun roof not available.
TOURING - as the name implies: leather seats, only one oil cooler (driver's side), small front air-dam, but came standard with options like BOSE AM/FM CD with the snake-like tubes in the rear luggage area, Fog lights, cruise control and rear wiper. There were a few other available options, like a sun roof and an automatic transmission (eek2) . And it had slightly softer shock rates.
BASE: As the name implies, it came with just standard features. Also had cloth seats of a "hound's tooth" type pattern.
Regardless of the 'model' and year (93-95), all came with the same sequential twin-turbo 13b REW making the same HP and torque.

I'm not all that familiar with the other year's options, but IIRC, the 93 'R1' model became the 'R2' in 1994 and 95. And there was something called the Preferred Equipment Package (PEP) package (?). Oh, and "Chaiste White" was offered as a color option for the first time. There were other minor changes, such as interior plastic getting a new textured finish that was more scratch resistant...but maybe not as good looking as the previous smooth finish. There were many other minor design changes too, like the upgraded 5th gear synchro and shift select spindle, that cured a problem that the 93 models had.
Efini models were only sold overseas and, I believe, all were right-hand drive. Because Mazda stopped selling the FD in North America in 1995, none were ever available here. Depending on the year, some had slightly upgraded turbos and a few other tweaks that increase HP a bit. And the front facia was also changed to include larger air intake for the radiator and IC.
I know theres alot I've forgotten, but that's what comes to mind. :)

surfin_roxy196 said:
dude thanks so much you helped me alot...maybe someday when im older ill have a skyline and all the kids in town will think im a crazy old granny...

No problem. LOL, I am older and the kids in town probably do think I'm crazy. (screwy)

if you think the enfini is awesome look up the Spirit R RX7 that was I think made in 98 in japan.... .wooooooo so hot.....

Familia323 said:
if you think the enfini is awesome look up the Spirit R RX7 that was I think made in 98 in japan.... .wooooooo so hot.....

(thumb)

Attachments

• Type R 1.jpg
    Type R 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 766
  • Type R.jpg
    Type R.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 708
Signal 2 said:
Well, let's see...
R1- bigger front air-dam, cloth seats

Front ends are exactly the same. There was a difference in the chin spoiler though. The seats are like a suede. Pretty grippy. I like them.

Signal 2 said:
TOURING - small front air-dam, but came standard with options like BOSE AM/FM CD with the snake-like tubes in the rear luggage area, Fog lights, cruise control and rear wiper.

The Touring became the PEP (Popular Equipment Package). There were some other updates with the fuel system, ABS, I think the way the wheels were made. 94+ had a passenger air bag, small graphics changes and that's all I can remember.

Last edited:
VR RX7 R1 said:
Front ends are exactly the same. There was a difference in the chin spoiler though. The seats are like a suede. Pretty grippy. I like them.
Sorry, what you call a chin spoiler I call an air dam. :)
Yes, some confuse the R1 seats with suede, but they are really just a "faux suede" fabric/cloth.
VR RX7 R1 said:
There were some other updates with the fuel system, ABS, I think the way the wheels were made.
Oh, I forgot about that. Yes, the early production aluminum wheels had been prone to cracks where the spokes met the outer 'rim'. I can't remember for sure if they were strengthened in later production 93s and later models, or maybe the dealerships just changed them out on warranty. IIRC, they looked only slightly different, having less of a 90 deg. angle at the point where they cracked, and more of a curve. But if you turned them over, the casting was alot thicker.

Surfin' Roxy...One other thing that comes to mind is that there was a recall on the fuel system lines of some sort to reduce risk of engine fire. I don't remember details now, but you can call MAZDA and give them your VIN to make sure that recall was done.

Last edited:
a couple other points to note...

The change from R1 to R2 was done because too many people complained about eth stuff ride.. the R2 had slightly less stiff springs and a lower damping rate shock setup. All had with a red front strut tower bar that others models did not have (along with teh faux suede seats, no sunroof, no cd, no bose, no cruise, rear spoiler and front lip.)

The glass sunroof was only available in 94

the touring pkg became teh PEP in 94 to mimic teh rest of teh mazda lineup. In 95 you could still get the equivalent options, but they were all al la carte.

Mazda changed out their wheel subcontractors halfway through the 93 production year because those wheels had a tendency to crack. I have a book with a picture of the backs of the two different wheels side-by-side and the one looks a lot more reinforced.

hmm

well theres a s*** load of stuff yall know about the car lol well i have a 93 touring--and theres a 94 r2--but was someone saying in 94 they made r2's with glass sunroofs?---and also for sale theres a 94 touring....so should i go for a higher year? or just stick with what i have?

also is the touring or the r2 better specs?

Last edited:
Back