Rx-8 Engine Mods

is300drift

:
2001 Lexus Is300
Does anyone know any sick engine mods for the RX-8 cause i was thinking about getting one when i come back from basic training and i heard they need a little help in the speed department.

there is enough out there. i know of headers, exhaust, intake, turbo, etc...

short of forced induction the mods available for the car now are not making the most post. Besides F/I the underdrive pulleys were netting the biggest gain. Racing beat just released the only air intake that actually makes power for the car and there are several exhausts available. You can also get the header, plug wires, lighter flywheel, clutch, lighter rotors, and of course a turbo or supercharger.
It seems that the most popular mods right now seem to be suspensions upgrades. The car handles amazingly well and id go so far to say that its the best handling rotary car mazdas ever built. But with a few suspension mods, people are running track times comprable to high end german and italian exotics.
Bottom line, the car has the potential (realistically, and affordably) with the right mods to be a mid 13 second car. It will never be a drag car, But it can be set up to own a road track and possibly and autox track.
If you get one, have fun and check the oil often

KYMP5 said:
short of forced induction the mods available for the car now are not making the most post. Besides F/I the underdrive pulleys were netting the biggest gain. Racing beat just released the only air intake that actually makes power for the car and there are several exhausts available. You can also get the header, plug wires, lighter flywheel, clutch, lighter rotors, and of course a turbo or supercharger.
It seems that the most popular mods right now seem to be suspensions upgrades. The car handles amazingly well and id go so far to say that its the best handling rotary car mazdas ever built. But with a few suspension mods, people are running track times comprable to high end german and italian exotics.
Bottom line, the car has the potential (realistically, and affordably) with the right mods to be a mid 13 second car. It will never be a drag car, But it can be set up to own a road track and possibly and autox track.
If you get one, have fun and check the oil often

im aware theat the oil needs to be checked often, but what kind of oil would you suggest?

I use the valvoline 5w-20 and i check it every 600 or so miles. I have to add half a qt every 1200 or so.
Some of the guys on RX8club.com are using synthetic and say they burn less oil with that and ive heard 1 or 2 claims that Royal Purple will use next to none and improve the gas mileage, i just dont know if i believe it or not. If you want some good reading, go to rx8club.com and look up all the post by rotarygod or snapon... they are 2 of the most knowledgeable rotary guys out there and the stuff that they right will keep you busy and amazed for hours.

is300drift said:
Does anyone know any sick engine mods for the RX-8 cause i was thinking about getting one when i come back from basic training and i heard they need a little help in the speed department.

Your coming back to NH?
Test drive the RX8 then come see me and take the STi for a spin, then you'll kow why people say it needs more power :D

No, Im going to basic on june 30 then ill be gone for about 3 to 4 months and when i come back im buying that mother. I just wanted to find some sick mods for when i come back i can throw them on.

Oh and what turbo do u think is better the ssr turbo kit or the greddy turbo kit or if theres another one let me know about it.

Last edited:
the greddy turbo kit is hands down the better performing kit. Dont get me wrong, the SSR kit doesnt seem to have any prooblems, but as far as ease of install, maintenacne, tuning potential, and overall power, the greddy seems to be the way to go.
Keep in mind ProCharge also makes a supercharger for the 8 in case you would rather have some serious low end

lol, im serious, there are some guys on there that know so much stuff about the rotarys and go into so much detail. Ive sat there and read post after post of theirs for hours and learned so much.

KYMP5 said:
lol, im serious, there are some guys on there that know so much stuff about the rotarys and go into so much detail. Ive sat there and read post after post of theirs for hours and learned so much.
This is true. Just take personal opinion advice on how to care for a rotary with a grain of salt. ;)

protejay5 said:
thats just what ricers say. drive one first and decide for yourself :)
I am NO RICER...RX-8's are Slow. Period. Make ANY Mods to that engine and kiss your MUCH NEEDED warranty goodbye. (notcool)

Last edited:
ok, you didnt have to be a ******* douchebag about it mr. 'i drive an acura so that makes me high and mighty.'

bottom line: any rx-8 is more FUN to drive than your CL (and looks MUCH better too)

Back