Rx-8 Engine Mods

Haha, yeah what a douche. Since when was 0-60 in 5.8, 1/4 in 14.5 and a lap time around top gear's track at 1 min 31.8 seconds (same as an M3) slow? You need to get your head checked.

By the way:

<table border="0" cellpadding="1" width="535"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="4">
Car-Stats.com Report for 2001 Acura CL Type S​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">Obtained from MT July, 2000</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="70">0-60:</td> <td width="45">
</td> <td width="200"> </td> <td width="200">Transmission: Automatic</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="70">1/4 Mile:</td> <td width="45">
</td> <td colspan="2" rowspan="2"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="70">1/4 Speed:</td> <td width="45">
</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Have fun in your FWD, slower than a SUPER SLOW RX-8 Acura Civic, errr I mean CL. And besides hating and contributing absolutely nothing to the rotary forum, WTF are you in here for anyways?

Last edited:
He has a mazda 6 aswell.

I have to side with 1killercls here. The RX-8 is slow in that it is classified as a sports car. SUre for an SUV or for a luxury car like a CL, it woul dbe fast. But not for a sports car. Lets be realistic here too, how many people actualy buy a $32K car to auto cross? Damn near none. The majority of the buying public judges speed by highway passing ability, where for the price, the RX-8 is a lame duck compared to the Sti, evo, GTO. Mustang GT, and 350Z.

Considering the CL type S has alot more weight, is a WAY better ride as it is a luxury car and is still the same price as an RX-8 but only slightly slower.....I'd take the CL too. The Cl will also have a vastly superior resale value and be far more realible.

Considering I looked at just about every car mentioned before buying my RX-8, here are my comparisons.

Evo8, faster but dogs*** interior and doesn't handle as well. Plus, you are getting a glorified lancer.

Sti - faster but also has dogs*** interior and I am not a fan of the exterior either. Doesn't handle as well as an RX-8 either.

350Z - slightly faster, doesn't handle as well but the stylings are comparable but it does not have a back seat, that was a must for me.

GTO - Pontiac's are POS, end of story IMO, i've been an owner

Mustang GT - slightly faster but handles like a tank. Interior and exterior stylings are not bad.

Other cars not mentioned that I considered.

G35 coupe - probably overall slightly better than an RX-8 IMO but out of my price range and was slightly faster but didn't even come close to handling as good as the RX-8.

Honda S2000 - about the same overall but is more of a summer car than year round.

Lexis IS300 - Slower and handles like s*** but looks good and is a luxury ride.

Hell, an SRT-4 is faster than most of these cars but I wouldn't want take it over any of these cars besides a GTO. The only car I considered besides an RX-8, is a G35 coupe. These are the 2 cars I felt had the best balance between luxury/sports car feel. Since I do a lot of city driving and I am not some ricer that wants to race at every stoplight, not quite sure .5 seconds slower from 0-60 really matters. Plus, i've found that since the RX-8 redlines at 9000rpms, unlike any other car out there, it is far quicker from a roll than off the line. Everyone will value different aspects of a car their own way. To me, the RX-8 was hands down better than just about everything out there. Plus, for those few people that actually do autocross, an RX-8 would work over almost every car mentioned no problem. Just like an EVO or STI would workover any other car here in a Rally race but who actually takes a $35,000 car to a rally race or autocross race or drag strip? Get over it.

Well for the record, I bought my car with sports package for 26K out the door. No, I don't autocross, but I do alot of canyon driving, and this was hands down the best car in the price range for it. Slow? I don't know what you call slow. In my book, it's definitely not slow...I'd call it quick, but not fast. Wait until I put the turbo on.

By the way, at 5 psi, with a stock greddy tune, the RX-8 greddy turbo puts down 240-250 whp...the rest of those cars are running nearly double the pressure on larger turbos. Cry all you want about apex seals, I don't care. The FD lasts a long time with proper maintenance.

The RX-8 is no turd. Especially if you're a canyon twisty road guy like me.

shaolin said:
By the way, at 5 psi, with a stock greddy tune, the RX-8 greddy turbo puts down 240-250 whp...the rest of those cars are running nearly double the pressure on larger turbos. Cry all you want about apex seals, I don't care. The FD lasts a long time with proper maintenance.

Riddle me this: How many people that turboed there MP3, P5 or went nuts with there MSP still have it and have it running well? Most don't and theres a good reason for it.
Don't do it man. Buy a car that already does everything you want, its always cheaper in the long run. Or atleast get something that has the power you want adn work on the suspension. Its cheaper and there are a whole lot less head ache. For me, the RX-8 is too nice of a car to cut up with a role of the dice.

^^^ You're right, but I'm just one of those that can't leave well enough alone. I'm still in the process of buying a new house, but when all is said and done, I'll be going turbo...there's plenty of folks over at rx8club.com running turbos with no issues, but I will be prepared...I was a mechanic for a number of years...

Ok....the RX8 is a gas guzzling, flood prone(only to rotary ignorants), oil burning, finicky, quirky styled(to some), mediocre performing, contraption. But, there is no way in Hell that I'd ever give up the keys......not for anything in the world. If you always have to have the fastest car then be prepared to be super rich, and trade cars every 3-4 months...there's always something faster.....big deal.

you dont any more. on the early models they would flood easily if not at operating temp and shut off with fuel in the rails. they developed a ecu flash to take care of this

KYMP5 said:
you dont any more. on the early models they would flood easily if not at operating temp and shut off with fuel in the rails. they developed a ecu flash to take care of this

Yep, but there are still some that flood theirs....it's amazing..... (hand)

Just take it to your dealer and ask for the latest flash. Do you feel sluggish in the mid RPM range? If you do you most likely don't have the latest flash.

hmm, it doesnt feel sluggish in the mid rpm range. in the low rpm (up to about 2500/3000) range it does but thats because we have no torque. after that, it pulls like an SOB

RX-8's were built for Turbo. The 10:1 Compression ratio rotors pulse the Turbo like no other vehicle EVER made. Since the RX-8 has so much RPMS, I suspect there will be little to no Turbo Lag.

Back