Rotary in a P5

flat_black said:
So you folks know, the FWD Protege shares the chassis with the AWD one, so the 'tunnel' is still there. The gas tank is different, and the exhaust is routed different, as in the FWD version it's routed basically where the driveshaft goes to the rear. But it's still not a cheap project. Heh.

Good info. I thought that while the chassis may be similar/identical, the floor pan would at least differ (for the "tunnel").

the tunnel for the exhaust in our cars, is the drivetrain tunnel for the awds. the awds have another tunnel type thing for the exhaust

Take a look in the back seat footwell, and under your console; Nice big tunnel hump there. =) I should see if I can find that pic of the AWD Familia that I saw on here at one point...

These are from a stock Familia 4WD, same chassis, same tunnel:

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

too weird...

I was totally thinking about a rotary swap a few months ago. Just if it had been done or what not. I wonder if there is a way to get access to CAD drawings for the engine and the bay and do an overlay....yeah sure.

Still fun to think about it.

What about Auto tranny swaps/upgrades for the P5?

I also had a crazy idea for a P5 that could run a lift kit for that can lower for street...kewl or lame? (like the Praxis system on steriods basically)

flat_black said:
These are from a stock Familia 4WD, same chassis, same tunnel:

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

daaammn i want one!
a turbo'd awd protege5 would be an evo eater for sure

eljefe305 said:
daaammn i want one!
a turbo'd awd protege5 would be an evo eater for sure

yeah it would be cool, but it would be in the shop more than the evo becuase ur engine would blow.. turbo + awd + 2.0l = lots of stress and go boom if over 8 psi

Well, the Sport20 MPS engine runs at 10.7:1 compression, so... It's really built for N/A. However, drop some lower compression pistons and a nice set of rods in there, and that would surely yield a nice car, yeah. Though I honestly have my doubts about how strong the drivetrain is on the AWD Protege's.

yeah, corksport was gettin him everything he needed to do it, i think he stoped cause he got a rx7 to play with ..

lawton12_4.jpg

lawton11_4.jpg

lawton7.jpg

Pffft piece of cake! I am making one of these tomorrow!

Having a hard time finding the Protege in there though....I mean yea, they made a tube chassis and stuck the protege body on it....

Back