Rishie's FITMENT RECIPE

3 spoke... hmm notthat im aware of... i favor wheels with more spokes, like 6 to 7 or so so that it hides more of the brakes and inner wheel well etc.

hawaiiannights said:
What is our tire size? If anybody knows off hand...the stock tires that come with our cars.....thanks in advance!

195 x 50 r16

but just by looking at the side of your tires, you should have been able to figure that one out....

discounttire swears that my stock p5 wheel is 7" wide, i know its not b/c the 215/40 i put on don't touch the ground all the way around. anyways, my front tires wear really bad on the inside, almost like the are rubbing, is this possible? i have stock suspension.

Ok, so I've asked this question but I seem to get differing opinions. Since I don't want to purchase wheels and tires only to find that they don't fit, I'm going to ask you Rishie. Will this fit my car with out rubbing and without effecting my turning? I will have eibach springs on there as well.

I have a Protege 5

18's with a 45mm offset

215/35/18's?

215/40/17; 215/35/18
-------------
7.0" +45 and higher
7.5" +48 and higher

205/40/17
-------------
7.0" +42 and higher; Barely making it
7.5" +48 or higher, the +45 still worries me with this width on a 205.

I'm trying to understand this fitment recipe before I place our order for some tires...

The recipe states 7.0 +45 with 215/40 tires seems to work fine, but then 7.0 +42 with 205/40 is said to be "barely making it"....

I would think that it would be the opposite considering the fact that the that the 215 tire is 10 mm wider than the 205 (extending 5 mm more towards the fender than the 205) and the difference between the offsets is only 3 mm.

I know it's only 2 mm...but I want to make sure I don't run into any rubbing issues if I go with a 215/40/17 tire on a 17x7 +45 rim.

I apologize in advance if my logic is screwed up here, but I just wanted to double check :)

Thanks!
J.J.

If it's a 17x7.0 rim, then go for a 205/45/17 tire for the safest fit :) A 215 won't really sit properly on a 7.0" wide rim anyway.

rowan..i agree completely...but we want a little more sidewall :(
Sometimes an extra 4mm of height makes a difference ;)

Dallas roads SUCK....

DrummingFrenzy said:
Ok, so I've asked this question but I seem to get differing opinions. Since I don't want to purchase wheels and tires only to find that they don't fit, I'm going to ask you Rishie. Will this fit my car with out rubbing and without effecting my turning? I will have eibach springs on there as well.

I have a Protege 5

18's with a 45mm offset

215/35/18's?

Any help on this?

Sorry guys,

I don't check this thread very often. The offset will be dependent on the width of the wheel.

For a P5 in 7.5" width you will need a +48 offset. If the wheel is 7" wide you should be able to get away with a +45 offset.

Most 18" wheels are 7.5" wide so I would assume it might not fit.

You can run either the 215/40/17 or 205/45/17 on the 7" width. Either of the two will work fine. Well within tire mfg specs.

PEace, Rishie

Ok now I'm even more confused. So you're telling me that if my wheel is 18x7.5 that it will not fit on my car without rubbing? What can I do besides rolling the fenders to get this wheel on my car? It sounds like you're saying that you can't get an 18 inch wheel on a PR5 without rubbing. Is this correct?

He is just stating that you need an offset of 48 or higher on a 7.5 inch rim or an offset of 45 on a rim that is 7 inches wide

The rim you have inquired about is 18" +45...he is also assuming that your rim is 7.5 inches wide (because that's a common 18" width)....that means it will be 3mm closer to the fender than he recommends, which also means that you are probably going to rub...

-J.J.
"still wants to see if his logic is correct 6 posts above"

Last edited:
205/45/17 is the safest fit and will also give you a reasonable amount of sidewall.

Your question about your logic with an extra 5 mm of tire vs. 3 mm less of offset can be accounted for by considering the profile of a tire and how it curves over from the sidewall to the tread. Because most tires have at least a slightly rounded shoulder, it tucks up and in a bit and makes the left over 2 mm of spacing a non-issue in most cases.

How's that?

Drumming,

Here it is real simply. To your post 6 posts above. It will not fit if your wheel is 7.5" wide. As i've stated. You have failed to provide me with all the specs of your potential wheel. I've provided you with all the info for you to make the decision.

If the wheel is 7.5" wide and a +45 offset it will not work with a 215/35/18. I've done this before without any luck. Now Nitto released a 205/40/18 I believe. I haven't tested with this so I can't say.

If your wheel is 18" and 7" wide with +45 offset it should work under theory. It will ultimately come down to your tire selection.

Rishie

Ok, I understand now. Please excuse my all of my questions Rishie. I'm not being dense, but I'm new to all this rim and tire size mumbo jumbo. I'm still learning. Thank you for your help and patience!

I'm going with the 17x7 to be safe.

Will a 17x7.5" wheel with 45mm offset and 215/45/17 work on a MSP without rubbing?

Yes, that Rota should work. Are you buying them used? It will work with the 40 series. Haven't tired the 45.

Rishie

rowan said:
205/45/17 is the safest fit and will also give you a reasonable amount of sidewall.

Your question about your logic with an extra 5 mm of tire vs. 3 mm less of offset can be accounted for by considering the profile of a tire and how it curves over from the sidewall to the tread. Because most tires have at least a slightly rounded shoulder, it tucks up and in a bit and makes the left over 2 mm of spacing a non-issue in most cases.

How's that?

Rowan, thanks for the response, and I'm not trying to start a flame war, but what if these tires were "tucked" so that the fender would extend over half of the sidewall? The "shoulder" would be past the fender and into the wheel well....

I would think that the 2mm would make a difference.

Also to take this a little further, Rishie states that a 215/40 on a 17x7.5 +48 will not rub, but a 205/40 on a 17x7 +42 is barely making it....both of those rims would be the same distance from the fender, but the 215 is a wider and taller tire (granted it is also on a wider rim).

I feel like we are getting mixed information here... i know it's just the words "barely making it" that are upsetting....but Rishie, how true are those words?

Does barely making it mean that I won't have any problems or that I will probably rub if the car were to be drastically lowered with 215/40's on my 17x7 +45 rims?

I will be going with Continental Extreme Contact tires if that makes a difference...

Don't mean to rock the boat :)

-J.J.

edit: This is for a P5 by the way.

The problem is that Rowan and I know this can't be an exact recipe due to minor differences in real world wheel and tire section widths.

Minor differences in tire stretch will also make a differenece. This recipe has come from actual experience in the ARD P5 wheel seatch for the past 3 years.

Barely making it means there might be subtle spacing differences between chasis'. I didn't and don't take your questions as a flame. I too was there once. Forunately I've been doing this for quite some time and had the resources to sell the wheels that didn't fit.

It could also vary by how much camber you run with the 7, +42. I just don't recommend it as an ideal fitment. Oddly the 215, 7", +45 will fit.

You would think a +40, 205/40/17 would fit cause it should have the same frontal spacin as a 215/40/17, but it doesn't. It's some weird s***. So you just gotta take the recipe for what it is cause it rides that fine line so well.

With regards to the lowering aspect, it is the same to me when the car is loaded with 5 passengers. The recipe works for lowered vehicles or stock ones.

I ran the recipe both ways. Sedans have more rooom too. They follow a more conventional fitment.

Hope that helps. I just do em and they work. I tried the logic thing and gave up.

Back