Retrofit auto up/down to ALL windows

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium
I have a 2017 CX-5 GT Premium Pkg. which has auto up/down function on driver's window only. Has anyone done a retrofit with newer OEM switch modules so all four windows are auto up/down? I realize you would have to change not only the master driver's switch, but also the other 3 window switches. The 2020 CX-5 (all trims) has auto up/down on all four windows and I've thought of updating my 2017 GT to have the same functionality. I just don't know if the harnesses and wiring are the same and it's just a simple switch remove/replace job, or if it's more complicated than that.

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT Premium Pkg. which has auto up/down function on driver's window only. Has anyone done a retrofit with newer OEM switch modules so all four windows are auto up/down? I realize you would have to change not only the master driver's switch, but also the other 3 window switches. The 2020 CX-5 (all trims) has auto up/down on all four windows and I've thought of updating my 2017 GT to have the same functionality. I just don't know if the harnesses and wiring are the same and it's just a simple switch remove/replace job, or if it's more complicated than that.
I would think there has to be sensors on the windows...either position sensors or pressure sensors...not only to know when they are fully opened or fully closed, but to operate the "jam-safe" feature so you don't strangle someone.

Avoidin Deer is correct. You have to replace not only the switches, but also power window motors with anti-pinch control. You also need to either reprogram or replace the control module. It’s a costly upgrade and I wouldn’t consider to try it.

Not sure this is correct. Anti pinch usually works by motor current sensing. You can add aftermarket auto-up/down devices too. I did that with another car and it works well.

Not sure this is correct. Anti pinch usually works by motor current sensing. You can add aftermarket auto-up/down devices too. I did that with another car and it works well.
That's what I thought too. It would make sense that ALL power windows, by design, stop moving with enough resistance to the motor. Whether or not a window switch has the two-click automatic up/down function should be a separate deal.

That's what I thought too. It would make sense that ALL power windows, by design, stop moving with enough resistance to the motor. Whether or not a window switch has the two-click automatic up/down function should be a separate deal.
I've not really noticed. I don't have kids and I've never tested that function.
How do your current windows work? Will they stop if you block them?

And when they're all the way up or down, do your dome lights dim if you continue to press the button when they're at full throw (meaning that they lack a limit switch)?

According to this article, there are limit switches in the windows to stop them when they are at full throw, and recognizing "open a little" versus "open all the way" button positions is controlled through the Body Control Module. But this is a generic discussion on all power windows.

I never really gave this much thought before.

I've not really noticed. I don't have kids and I've never tested that function.
How do your current windows work? Will they stop if you block them?

And when they're all the way up or down, do your dome lights dim if you continue to press the button when they're at full throw (meaning that they lack a limit switch)?

According to this article, there are limit switches in the windows to stop them when they are at full throw, and recognizing "open a little" versus "open all the way" button positions is controlled through the Body Control Module. But this is a generic discussion on all power windows.

I never really gave this much thought before.
When I get my CX-5 back from the dealer's service dept. I will check on what happens if the window glass encounters resistance. I'm thinking that resistance could be a body part (ouch) or the window frame itself, when UP or DOWN is at max. Needless to say I won't be using my arm for the test.

The limit sensing is at a far lower level than a high enough current to dim the lights. By the way, there are NO limit switches. That's why you have to reset the auto window function after you disconnect the battery - if there were limit switches, you wouldn't need to.

With the Directed Electronics aftermarket system I referred to earlier, the box has a set of dip switches to set the sense level before the windows stop (to adjust for different levels of up/down resistance in diff cars).

Back