Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

Module installed in my Mazda6 on Wednesday and it now resumes playback.

still dog slow though, but that could be the 32GB stick/3,000 files.

Hope it lasts!

Module installed in my Mazda6 on Wednesday and it now resumes playback.

still dog slow though, but that could be the 32GB stick/3,000 files.

Hope it lasts!

You could try putting those files on a USB 3.0 stick, if they're not already. That way you'll max out the read speed of Mazda's USB 2.0 connection since it won't be the speed of your stick being the limiting factor.

I've spoken with my dealer and convinced him to order a new USB/bluetooth module in for me.
He tells me that the resume is not a "true" resume and that the radio will start from the last file played, but will start from the beginning. Can anyone on here who's had the new module fitted confirm this?

I'm especially interested because what I have on my USB is audiobooks. I've broken them down in to smaller files, but they're still lengthy and although jumping back to the start of the particular file I was listening to would help, it would still mean fast-forwarding through the file until I get to the right place, which would be a pain.

I've spoken with my dealer and convinced him to order a new USB/bluetooth module in for me.
He tells me that the resume is not a "true" resume and that the radio will start from the last file played, but will start from the beginning. Can anyone on here who's had the new module fitted confirm this?

I'm especially interested because what I have on my USB is audiobooks. I've broken them down in to smaller files, but they're still lengthy and although jumping back to the start of the particular file I was listening to would help, it would still mean fast-forwarding through the file until I get to the right place, which would be a pain.

Strange statement from the dealer as the replacement modules I had resumed playback at the exact point they left off, not a crude restart of the last file. Back in at my dealer Friday though for some "testing" on my most recently expired module. I can almost predict a Monty Python Dead Parrot conversation!

I would think looking into a bluetooth option would be far easier. Put those things on your phone and forget about all this mess.

You'd think a hardwired USB with a bug fix would be easy compared to a BT issue which has to contend with potentially multiple issues. I'd prefer the USB to be fixed. This way you get power and sound from the NB1. BT and NFC are terrible inventions.

piece of junk

Strange statement from the dealer as the replacement modules I had resumed playback at the exact point they left off, not a crude restart of the last file. Back in at my dealer Friday though for some "testing" on my most recently expired module. I can almost predict a Monty Python Dead Parrot conversation!

My recently fitted module has started playing up.what a piece of sh1te.2weeks.its forgot to resume.plays random songs.displays the wrong song.Are these the same issues you had barkeyo???Thing is it was actually functioning ok for 2 weeks.going to have to bring it back to the 'great' local dealer..pissed with it now,should of went german after all.....

You'd think a hardwired USB with a bug fix would be easy compared to a BT issue which has to contend with potentially multiple issues. I'd prefer the USB to be fixed. This way you get power and sound from the NB1. BT and NFC are terrible inventions.

This is a strange claim.

I would think looking into a bluetooth option would be far easier. Put those things on your phone and forget about all this mess.

I'd prefer the USB to be fixed, otherwise it's like buying a car where the wipers don't work and being told simply to avoid driving it in the rain.

My recently fitted module has started playing up.what a piece of sh1te.2weeks.its forgot to resume.plays random songs.displays the wrong song.Are these the same issues you had barkeyo???Thing is it was actually functioning ok for 2 weeks.going to have to bring it back to the 'great' local dealer..pissed with it now,should of went german after all.....

Similar, but eventually it gave up doing even that. :(

I'd prefer the USB to be fixed, otherwise it's like buying a car where the wipers don't work and being told simply to avoid driving it in the rain.

It would be great if it worked, but it is not remotely like that. Those are essential for safety and have no alternative. Bluetooth is a great alternative to USB and how most people use the stereo.

It would be great if it worked, but it is not remotely like that. Those are essential for safety and have no alternative. Bluetooth is a great alternative to USB and how most people use the stereo.

Actually it is like that as Mazda have a legal requirement to ensure that all functions of the car work (not just the safety ones), because since the USB part of the Media System is part of the car's officially detailed specification, then it forms part of the legal contract of supply when the car is purchased.

However, on the CX-5 you'll find that because the same physical module controls both USB and Bluetooth, the net result is that when one is screwed, they're both screwed. Not withstanding that though, I severely doubt that 'most' people use Bluetooth to connect to the stereo for media playback, simply because 'most' people I know driving a wide spectrum of vehicles either use USB or plug their iPod etc into the cabled port.

Actually it is like that as Mazda have a legal requirement to ensure that all functions of the car work (not just the safety ones), because since the USB part of the Media System is part of the car's officially detailed specification, then it forms part of the legal contract of supply when the car is purchased.

However, on the CX-5 you'll find that because the same physical module controls both USB and Bluetooth, the net result is that when one is screwed, they're both screwed. Not withstanding that though, I severely doubt that 'most' people use Bluetooth to connect to the stereo for media playback, simply because 'most' people I know driving a wide spectrum of vehicles either use USB or plug their iPod etc into the cabled port.

Dunno. Maybe, maybe not. I use Bluetooth all the time, because I'm too lazy to want to plug in a cable. I use Spotify for a lot of my music when I'm driving, and I also use my phone as my GPS. So Bluetooth works well for having voice guidance + music/Spotify, without having to plug in the phone.

Well, I guess i'll be regretting this for the next 10 years or so now that i took the plunge and got a CX-5. I didnt try out the ipod connection, and i even had my ipod with me during the test drive. I used my phone with it via blutooth yesterday and that was fine so it didnt occur to me that the basic functionality that i have had in my cars for the past 12+ years would be unusable in this shiny new one.

Sigh. Anyone know of an ipod classic with blutooth?

Well, I guess i'll be regretting this for the next 10 years or so now that i took the plunge and got a CX-5. I didnt try out the ipod connection, and i even had my ipod with me during the test drive. I used my phone with it via blutooth yesterday and that was fine so it didnt occur to me that the basic functionality that i have had in my cars for the past 12+ years would be unusable in this shiny new one.

Sigh. Anyone know of an ipod classic with blutooth?

No need for regret, my man. Just hold tight for aftermarket stereos that will use CarPlay.

Go with an aftermarket head unit or get an iPod touch. or upgrade to a new iPhone and put all your music on that. I just did that and so far it has been remembering where I left off via bluetooth.

In regards to MP3 playing, I found one thing that does work for me. I have a "mix" CD containing 700mb of MP3 files in the root folder. The infotainment system has no problem remembering the last song, and shuffle works fine. The only problems are that the system seems to be a little picky when it comes to MP3 tags, and of course you'd never fit an entire collection of music on a 700mb CD. Small consolation, I know, but it works.

I also did a little experiment and found that the unit will not recognize DVDs.

Go with an aftermarket head unit or get an iPod touch. or upgrade to a new iPhone and put all your music on that. I just did that and so far it has been remembering where I left off via bluetooth.

Yes but the functionality via the head unit is not the same. Control has to come with the iphone itself which I frequently can't do because I'm well, driving. Also even if I set the iphone on shuffle the music WILL NOT shuffle once I'm playing through the bluetooth.

I'm researching aftermarket at this point.

Back