Replacing my CX-5 front brake rotors

:
2013 CX5 GT
Hi,
I am replacing my front brake rotors on my own for the first time. having a hard time removing the brake caliper bolts. Tried to spray some penetrating oil on it and let it soak for some time but still not turning. Would it be safe to use a breaker bar for it? The release turn should be to the right same as the glide pins, right? Is it recommended that I replace that bolt as well?

Brake caliper bolts or caliper mounting bracket? Caliper bolts are torqued at 23 ft/lbs, seems unlikely that they are on so tight. If that is the case then I don't see any other alternative than to try a breaker bar. It's what I would try.

Brake caliper bolts or caliper mounting bracket? Caliper bolts are torqued at 23 ft/lbs, seems unlikely that they are on so tight. If that is the case then I don't see any other alternative than to try a breaker bar. It's what I would try.
Should be the mounting bracket. the 17 socket size. Just afraid that I would snap the bolts.

Should be the mounting bracket. the 17 socket size. Just afraid that I would snap the bolts.
Yes to removing it with a breaker bar, and also turn the wheel for best access. Rest assured that those bolts will not snap, although cheap 3/8" products might. I've always reused those bolts, and I believe the FSM does not call for replacement.

It sounds like you're just getting into DIY, and I strongly recommend, if you don't already have one, buying and using a torque wrench for the reinstallation part of the job. Especially for anything having to do with brakes, suspension, or steering components.

The caliper mounting bolts(glide pins) as well as the caliper mounting bracket both loosen to the left( counterclockwise) as bolts normally do. They should not be too difficult to loosen but why remove the mounting bracket. Be careful not to overtighten the small glide pin bolts, I was careless and twisted the head off one and bought new pins (~$10 @ Autozone).

ETA OOPS! coffee not kicked in when replied. Bracket needed removal to remove rotor.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. I have changed my rotors and the whistle sounds are gone. even the vibrations while braking. Learned a new DIY maintenance.:)
make sure you use a torque wrench on your lug nuts or you're going to have problems with your rotors again

Back