replacement shocks/ struts?

eprx799

:
1979 Mazda RX-7 base modified for solo/trackdays
Ok I have an '07 MazdaSpeed3 w/59,800 mi. on it and I just lost a rear shock, theres oil leaking out of it I found a puddle under the right rear. Anyways I am looking to replace them. I use the car for a daily driver, no mods, no track, no auto-x. I don't need coil overs or adjustable shocks, I have a dedicated race car that rides like a skateboard allready. I would like to know what you guys replaced them with? Hows the ride? how much did you spend?
thanks in advance

FSD's are about 675-700 for the kit. Good for what you seem to be looking for.

or you can get a set of Mazda5ers for about 160. they are actually beefier than those on the MS3...and really cheap. there's a thread somewhere about this...perhaps on the other forum

I would say depending on how long you expect to keep the car should determine which way you go. I went with the Koni Sport Yellow, Tire Rack had them on sale and they have a lifetime warranty no questions asked. ride on softest setting is barely differant than OEM but better control accelerating , corning and braking. I plan on passing the car bown to my Son in 3 yrs when he turns 16. I cuurently have 73K on my 08.

Dampers

I have the Koni FSD 4040s. The upgrade for our cars is FSD 4045s. The difference between the two is the latter is 20% stiffer in rebound. The 4045s have been on back order for quite awhile. I paid $550 for my FSDs about a year ago when they were on sale.

They should have come on the car as OEM. The car is smooth. It is tracked by my son about twice a year. If you track your car more than that I recommend the Koni Sports, (Yellows) because of adjustability for the fronts. The rears have to be reomoved to change their setting.

My other car is a Roush Trak Pak Mustang with coilovers, so I know what ya mean by skateboard stiff. But it is used for weekend crusing and HPDEs at Thunderhill, Sears Point and Laguna-Seca.

BTW, my Koni rep says that Bilsteins are now the only lowering springs that can be used with the FSDs. Previously no lowering springs were recommended because of damper travel. The Bilsteins must have a minimal drop if they can be used with the FSDs.

Note: The FSDs will raise the front end of the cars stance by 1/4 to 1/2 inch showing what may be an undesireable wheel gap for some. PM me for a modification tip for installation that negates this feature if you go down this path and choose the FSDs.

Last edited:
not to thread jack, but any recommendations for shocks/struts us guys could use with our eibach pro kit springs? or any other casual lowering springs on our daily drivers?

Yeah without the lift I hear the FSDs bring. I'm looking more to the yellow/sport and just running them on soft.

Back