Replacement brakes

I have a quick question I’m looking to replace my brakes as a result of being worn. What is the best place to do them? Or just going to the dealership? Quality and price wise

I have a quick question I’m looking to replace my brakes as a result of being worn. What is the best place to do them? Or just going to the dealership? Quality and price wise
Dealership is going to cost the most. I’d find an independent shop that has good reviews, and you can bring your own parts to them as well if you’re concerned about part selection. I would avoid places that offer like $99 lifetime brake services. I think those places offer lower quality parts and they’ll just swap them out with the same cheap stuff if you wear them out again.

Dealership is going to cost the most. I’d find an independent shop that has good reviews, and you can bring your own parts to them as well if you’re concerned about part selection. I would avoid places that offer like $99 lifetime brake services. I think those places offer lower quality parts and they’ll just swap them out with the same cheap stuff if you wear them out again.
On average how much is the cost for four full brake pad replacement?

On average how much is the cost for four full brake pad replacement?
It really depends on the shop and what needs to be replaced. Per axle it’ll likely be around $150 to get just the pads replaced. That’ll go up some if you need new rotors. The pads on my CX-5 at 68k miles had around 75% on the front still when the rears had about 25% left. If the brake fluid needs to be flushed, tack at least $75 on top of that. Ballpark figure, $150-$600 depending on shop, parts, extent of what needs to be done. Get a few quotes from reputable shops and have them provide data to back up their quotes like amount of pad remaining.

Last edited:

No chance of doing them yourself?

To OP, depending on where you live, replacing brake pad could cost very differently.
In SF bay area, that costs about $300 to $500 per axle (no rotors, just pads).
(for reference, our 87 gas costs $6/gal now :oops:)
Less if you go to a more remote dealer. $100 off if you push for discount.
Expensive due to inflation, shipping cost, etc.

It was $230-$300 pre-COVID.
I know it because I just had them replaced on my '16 Mazda6. Both axles.

Parts (pads) cost about $70-$80.
The rest is labor cost, which highly depends on where you live.

Last edited:
You don't mention what year your vehicle is, but beware: If you have the EPB (electric parking brake), you MUST put the vehicle into service mode first. Failure to do so can result in rear brake caliper damage, and a whole lot more headaches and money spent.
If you go to an independent shop, or worse, get your friends to do it, I can pretty much guarantee they won't know about the service mode procedure and will more than likely ruin your brakes. There are lots of horror stories on here about indie shops and friends that thought they knew what they were doing, and ruined the calipers.

You don't mention what year your vehicle is, but beware: If you have the EPB (electric parking brake), you MUST put the vehicle into service mode first. Failure to do so can result in rear brake caliper damage, and a whole lot more headaches and money spent.
If you go to an independent shop, or worse, get your friends to do it, I can pretty much guarantee they won't know about the service mode procedure and will more than likely ruin your brakes. There are lots of horror stories on here about indie shops and friends that thought they knew what they were doing, and ruined the calipers.
The year of my vehicle is 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT. Also another question my car is currently getting close to 60,000 km and I need to do a replacements for all the pads do you need to change the rooters in the same time as the brake pads?

The year of my vehicle is 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT. Also another question my car is currently getting close to 60,000 km and I need to do a replacements for all the pads do you need to change the rooters in the same time as the brake pads?
Well, replacing rotors is not always necessary, but I highly recommend it. So much depends on condition. You might be able to get them turned down, but these days, rotors are cheap, and also very thin. Not many rotors today have enough excess material on them to allow for turning them.
Personally, I haven't changed pads without also replacing rotors on any vehicle in the last twenty years. I just do both and have peace of mind afterwards.

As this is my first time doing this I got a few quotes for front and back break pads, rotors and labour cost at around 1,000 is that a regular price?

As this is my first time doing this I got a few quotes for front and back break pads, rotors and labour cost at around 1,000 is that a regular price?
If all of the quotes are close in price to each other, yeah, you won’t be able to do better than that. The price i was spitballing is SE United States and prices tend to be lower here. As another poster suggested, your local area could be much different. The only way you’ll save money is by DIY but only if you’re comfortable with it. I’m fairly confident in what I do, but I still ended up breaking a bolt on the rear caliper bracket. Stupid mistake, it was the first time I used a new to me harbor freight torque wrench and it doesn’t click crisp and audibly like my other wrench, lol.

60k km seems low for needing all new pads to be honest. Do you drive a lot in the city? My front pads had plenty of life left at around 70k miles. I’m curious if those shops provided the break pad depth to you.

60k km seems low for needing all new pads to be honest. Do you drive a lot in the city? My front pads had plenty of life left at around 70k miles. I’m curious if those shops provided the break pad depth to you.
I do mostly city driving my rear pads are pretty bad it’s 2mm considered “unsafe to drive” my front are a bit better I believe it’s 3-4 mm but I heard it’s best to replace all of them at once? And in regards to rotors I have 0 idea and it’s why I’m here. I honestly would like to just replace the pads but if it’s better I don’t mind doing the rotors too.

Ah, that does make sense. You’d probably be replacing the front brakes in another year or two if you only did the rear brakes. You’d either want to turn the existing rotors or get new ones. The cost to turn/resurface the existing rotors isn’t much cheaper than going with brand new ones. If you run your finger on the edge of the rotor, you’ll probably feel a lip going from the smooth portion out to the very edge. I don’t think that lip should be present when installing new pads.

I do mostly city driving my rear pads are pretty bad it’s 2mm considered “unsafe to drive” my front are a bit better I believe it’s 3-4 mm but I heard it’s best to replace all of them at once? And in regards to rotors I have 0 idea and it’s why I’m here. I honestly would like to just replace the pads but if it’s better I don’t mind doing the rotors too.
I wouldn't consider 2mm as "unsafe to drive" but rather "you should get these replaced very soon"

I wouldn't have any issues replacing fronts only or rear only. It's fine to do just one axle but I would NOT do a single brake or a single side.

Rotors have minimum thickness and run out specs as well and the tech should know what they were. Are you having any problems such as pulsing or vibrations? If everything is in spec and no concerns, I'd just put new pads on.

As far as replacing the front pads now (early) that's just a matter of convenience. If the cost isn't as important to you as the time to bring it back later or it's your family truckster and your talking it on vacation this summer just get it done all at once. OTOH, if your budget doesn't have much wiggle room, run them down a couple more mm whilst you monitor them (knowing they'll need done soon).

I'm not a professional mechanic, just a guy (enthusiast) that does his own wrenching on his family fleet plus some others for 40+ years.

I did my own brakes in my garage using all OEM parts for less than 1/3rd that amount.

Sorry, I simply can't see $700+ in labor to replace some brake pads and rotors. Replacing brakes is only one step harder than changing oil. It's literally one of the easiest maintenance items to replace on a car.

I wouldn't consider 2mm as "unsafe to drive" but rather "you should get these replaced very soon"

I wouldn't have any issues replacing fronts only or rear only. It's fine to do just one axle but I would NOT do a single brake or a single side.

Rotors have minimum thickness and run out specs as well and the tech should know what they were. Are you having any problems such as pulsing or vibrations? If everything is in spec and no concerns, I'd just put new pads on.

As far as replacing the front pads now (early) that's just a matter of convenience. If the cost isn't as important to you as the time to bring it back later or it's your family truckster and your talking it on vacation this summer just get it done all at once. OTOH, if your budget doesn't have much wiggle room, run them down a couple more mm whilst you monitor them (knowing they'll need done soon).

I'm not a professional mechanic, just a guy (enthusiast) that does his own wrenching on his family fleet plus some others for 40+ years.
This is 100% the right answer imo. I had to assume the shops who quoted who really thought you needed new rotors. After sleeping on it, they also think you need new pads all around when I think the fronts have life left in them. If the budget is tight, I’d do only the rear axle. I’d have them measure the rear rotor thickness and determine if they’re within spec and go from there. The rotors aren’t breaking the bank for one axle, it’s the labor cost that’s killing you here. Reminding them there is a maintenance mode for working on the rear axle couldn’t hurt either.
I did my own brakes in my garage using all OEM parts for less than 1/3rd that amount.

Sorry, I simply can't see $700+ in labor to replace some brake pads and rotors. Replacing brakes is only one step harder than changing oil. It's literally one of the easiest maintenance items to replace on a car.
I can’t either, but we’re mechanically inclined and have a garage. It’s bills like these that got me into DIY work from the get go. I got a jack and tools for a project years ago instead of paying labor and I’ve been hooked ever since. No shame in having to go to a shop though.

I recently had the rear rotors and pads done on my 2018 CX5 and the labour at the independent shop I use was 1.6 hrs. @ $124/hr. The parts were an additional $315.00 ( All Canadian dollars)

When I complained about the early failure of my rear rotors (rust), the dealer wouldn't do them under warranty, and quoted $600 Canadian to do just the rears (rotors and pads). I said no thanks.
I'm actually still driving with the rusty rotors a year and a half later. They work. They just look bad.

This is 100% the right answer imo. I had to assume the shops who quoted who really thought you needed new rotors. After sleeping on it, they also think you need new pads all around when I think the fronts have life left in them. If the budget is tight, I’d do only the rear axle. I’d have them measure the rear rotor thickness and determine if they’re within spec and go from there. The rotors aren’t breaking the bank for one axle, it’s the labor cost that’s killing you here. Reminding them there is a maintenance mode for working on the rear axle couldn’t hurt either.
Can't emphasize this enough.

Back