Remember that time...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
...when I complained about the newer Mazdas always gathering data about driving telemetry?

1676530343000.png

You can replace "Mazda" with practically any other brand. Telematics can be used for many things, but you only ever hear about the bad cases because that's what people fixate on.

He may not have been aware of it, but it is mentioned in the paperwork you have to sign when you buy the car.

I bet this person has a good lemon law case unless Mazda can provide the specific threshold of "abnormal driving behavior" in writing.

But sm1ke is right. Many brands have lte collecting data. This is not new.

Has any other manufacturer voided warranty due to legal on-road operation of the vehicle within the manuals design parameters?

Has any other manufacturer voided warranty due to legal on-road operation of the vehicle within the manuals design parameters?

Where in the manual does it say that it's okay to overheat the vehicle?

Off topic, but this is the dumbest reason ever to refuse a warranty claim. You can drive all day long at 3000 rpm without overheating the vehicle as long as you let the turbo cool off, especially at 80 mph where a) there are tons of airflow. b) the throttle application is actually very low, meaning that the load on the engine is light and there are very little fuel being used. Like everyone else said, I would definitely fight it back and ask them to prove that this is abnormal behaviour.

As far as telemetry, Mazda could also just save all that data on vehicle, and have the dealer extract it when the vehicle is in the shop. I expect that is pretty much what all cars do. I am not a fan of it either, but i am sure that is what most connected services do (Hello OnStar)

At least in Canada, Mazda is fairly open about the collection of data. And allows you to disable it (altough it is on by default). See the link below.

“Among the many ways you can control the use of your data, you can: review and update your information that’s shared with us through the MyMazda app; unsubscribe from marketing emails; disable the collection of Vehicle Data from your Connected Vehicle; cancel a Connected Services plan, plus other choices you can make regarding your personal information and data.”

Last edited:
...when I complained about the newer Mazdas always gathering data about driving telemetry?

View attachment 317077
It doesn't matter that "others do it". I'm not for any of them, including Mazda gathering my Data. And yeah, I probably wouldn't run a car in sport mode like that, but did his dash ever alert him to overheating of the engine? Seems fishy and like they are just trying to get out of this. Red line is far above 3600 last I checked. Isn't the red line 6k+?

Where in the manual does it say that it's okay to overheat the vehicle?
He didn't overheat it. Mazda claims he "overheated" it. Read his post. He literally stopped in when his low-oil light came on. Don't you believe he would have done so if it ACTUALLY overheated? I know this is just hear-say and supposition, but it sure seems more in keeping with reality than Mazda's allegation...

and since when does oil consumption signify overheating? He's not complaining about a coolant leak, headgasket, or anything else associated with overheating, yeah?

No, this is Mazda using key words to illegitimatize his claim.

He didn't overheat it. Mazda claims he "overheated" it. Read his post. He literally stopped in when his low-oil light came on. Don't you believe he would have done so if it ACTUALLY overheated? I know this is just hear-say and supposition, but it sure seems more in keeping with reality than Mazda's allegation...

and since when does oil consumption signify overheating? He's not complaining about a coolant leak, headgasket, or anything else associated with overheating, yeah?

No, this is Mazda using key words to illegitimatize his claim.

I did read the post, but I wasn't responding to that. You wrote:

He wrote that Mazda responded with diagnostic data that says that the vehicle was "overheating". Mazda denied the claim based on the "overheating", not the legal on-road operation. He also didn't deny that what he was doing was overheating the car, so while it's unlikely, he could just be leaving that info out.

It absolutely sounds like Mazda is trying to get out of covering this claim, no doubt. But the issue is that he's mad about his car reporting data because he didn't know about it, which is on him, not Mazda. He should have disabled the vehicle data collection.

TL;DR, if you don't want telematic data being reported from your vehicle, disable it. Easy peasy, that's the end of the discussion for me.

My .02

Telematics is a problematic issue especially when the uses of that data and its ownership are undefined. The security and collection of the data used by the Internet of Things (IOT) connectivity, that have become standard in most everyday devices, does leave a lot to be desired (IMO) but it's a pro/con choice people should make an informed decision on. It's very useful for those consumers who may need those services, but a vast majority are unaware of the analytics being gathered.

'Big Brother' is literally watching in more ways than one. ~ end ~

I'd turn off all & any connected vehicle services for my vehicle when I want to use sport mode to haul azz and blast kid rock bawitdaba in the straightaways and curves.

I said these systems were spyware and I still feel that way. These systems are totally worthless in a modern ICE vehicle. But with an EV, they do affect your functionality, since they can display live charging station data. Probably still worth turning it off and using an Android Auto or Carplay app instead, though. @Unobtanium Will Kia be able to void your warranty if they don't like the way you drive your new EV6 GT?

So now they can deny warranty just for driving your vehicle?

Wth??

Can someone please rell me how the hell you turn this off?

Last edited:
So now they can deny warranty just for driving your vehicle?

Wth??

Can someone please rell me how the hell you turn this off?

They can deny warranty if they can prove owner abuse or negligence. It's like driving your car in 2ft of water and screwing up your rear diff - The manual says not to do that, so if you do it, they can deny warranty because you were negligent.

Event Data Recorder

Vehicle Reporting

To turn vehicle reporting off, I think you have to go to the dealer. It doesn't seem to be described in the manual.

They can deny warranty if they can prove owner abuse or negligence. It's like driving your car in 2ft of water and screwing up your rear diff - The manual says not to do that, so if you do it, they can deny warranty because you were negligent.

Event Data Recorder

Vehicle Reporting

To turn vehicle reporting off, I think you have to go to the dealer. It doesn't seem to be described in the manual.

Yes but the engines are already burning oil, leaking head gaskets and cylinder head cracks. Sounds to me like they are just creating reasons to deny warranty.

This wasn't a lack of maintenance issue. This is a slippery slope. The vehicle was meant to drive.

Mazda manual states that sport model used more fuel and they recommend cancel sport model during normal driving. If they didnt want the guy to use sport mode, maybe the turbo's shouldnt have sport mode or maybe they should have the manual state that prolonged driving in sport mode for long extended periods will cancel warranty?

and according to this rpm graph, that means sport mode would have to have stayed in 5th gear at highway speeds to reach the rpm their claiming he drove at...is that even possible?

There are some highways with 70 and 75 mph speed limits and even 6th gear looks like it is over the rpms @ 70 mph without sport mode. Anyone living in the west with 80 mph roads will definitely be denied warranty even if in 6th gear without sport mode.

Attachments

• mazda rpm graph.png
    mazda rpm graph.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yes but the engines are already burning oil, leaking head gaskets and cylinder head cracks. Sounds to me like they are just creating reasons to deny warranty.

This wasn't a lack of maintenance issue. This is a slippery slope. The vehicle was meant to drive.

Mazda manual states that sport model used more fuel and they recommend cancel sport model during normal driving. If they didnt want the guy to use sport mode, maybe the turbo's shouldnt have sport mode or maybe they should have the manual state that prolonged driving in sport mode for long extended periods will cancel warranty?

and according to this rpm graph, that means sport mode would have to have stayed in 5th gear at highway speeds to reach the rpm their claiming he drove at...is that even possible?

Your FUD towards Mazda is getting out of hand. The engine in question had an oil consumption issue. No cracked head as far as anyone can tell.

See bolded above. If they recommend canceling Sport Mode during normal driving, why would you think that it's perfectly fine to do the literal opposite and then complain when something goes wrong and Mazda refuses to assist based on what the data says?

There are some highways with 70 and 75 mph speed limits and even 6th gear looks like it is over the rpms @ 70 mph without sport mode. Anyone living in the west with 80 mph roads will definitely be denied warranty even if in 6th gear without sport mode.

🤣

2 scenarios:

1: I blew up my nearly new sub10k mile Protege5 chasing an EVO8 up Hwy 9 back in 2004 or so.
I took off my mods and brought it back to the dealer. They replaced the engine, no questions asked. "Oil starvation due to cornering" was what they put on my receipt for the new engine.

2: I have never taken my GolfR out of Race Mode. Not only have I rallied the crap out of it up 9 and in the mountains, but I've taken it to the track more than once. Launched it, slid it around, drove like an idiot.
I have never seen or heard anything like this from VW, nor have any of the people on the VW club I sometimes lurk on. That's a little too close to Big Brother garbage for me.

Soon a cop will be able to take control of your EV, lock you in and drive you to traffic court. 🤣

2 scenarios:

1: I blew up my nearly new sub10k mile Protege5 chasing an EVO8 up Hwy 9 back in 2004 or so.
I took off my mods and brought it back to the dealer. They replaced the engine, no questions asked. "Oil starvation due to cornering" was what they put on my receipt for the new engine.

2: I have never taken my GolfR out of Race Mode. Not only have I rallied the crap out of it up 9 and in the mountains, but I've taken it to the track more than once. Launched it, slid it around, drove like an idiot.
I have never seen or heard anything like this from VW, nor have any of the people on the VW club I sometimes lurk on. That's a little too close to Big Brother garbage for me.

Soon a cop will be able to take control of your EV, lock you in and drive you to traffic court. 🤣
It has begun!!!

Police and insurance companies already use the black boxes to determine fault in fatal accidents...
which is kind of questionable...because things might not always be as they seem...

If a person wants to have a dashcam and record themselves as well as others in accidents, that one thing....

But to be monitoring usage every minute and then use that information to try and deny your warranty and find you at fault with only limited info is over the top, especially when it only tells part of the story.

I can see it now.... You really have to gas it to merge onto ramps(or else be rear-ended) on your daily commute... They then turn around and say "sorry warranty voided...you were racing the engine."

Might as well just say these new vehciles don't have a warranty...and pull out all the black boxes and crap.

That's why I like analog cars. Simple and free of unnecessary electronics.

But @Jack Rabbit your example is invalid. How will you "race" in multi minute merge to avoid being rear ended? Unless maybe you have a road rager on your tail. Which then will be supported by a 911 call and a police report.

That's why I like analog cars. Simple and free of unnecessary electronics.

But @Jack Rabbit your example is invalid. How will you "race" in multi minute merge to avoid being rear ended? Unless maybe you have a road rager on your tail. Which then will be supported by a 911 call and a police report.
I was trying to be facetious/sarcastic in that they will start denying warrantys for just normal driving, acceleration and merging, etc. Cars main function is to drive...engines shouldnt break that easily unless they're not maintained, lack oil, tracked at a race track, or defective. Now it appears they're on course to deny warranty work just for it being a daily driver.

Plus why didnt that dude get an overheat warning ??? Surely if he was driving it in sport mode at a speed(that was too high rpm and overheating the engine), then surely some type of warning lights should have come on.

Last edited:
Back