Remember that time...

So now they can deny warranty just for driving your vehicle?

Wth??

Can someone please rell me how the hell you turn this off?

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISABLE OUR COLLECTION OF DEFAULT DATA FROM YOUR CONNECTED VEHICLE REGARDLESS OF MODEL YEAR, PLEASE CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-800-222-5500. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING CONTACTING US IS AVAILABLE HERE.

Easy enough. Note the models that the TCU is on:

2021+ Mazda CX-5, Mazda CX-9; 2020+ Mazda CX-30; 2019+ Mazda3, and all other newer models.

2 scenarios:

1: I blew up my nearly new sub10k mile Protege5 chasing an EVO8 up Hwy 9 back in 2004 or so.
I took off my mods and brought it back to the dealer. They replaced the engine, no questions asked. "Oil starvation due to cornering" was what they put on my receipt for the new engine.

2: I have never taken my GolfR out of Race Mode. Not only have I rallied the crap out of it up 9 and in the mountains, but I've taken it to the track more than once. Launched it, slid it around, drove like an idiot.
I have never seen or heard anything like this from VW, nor have any of the people on the VW club I sometimes lurk on. That's a little too close to Big Brother garbage for me.

Soon a cop will be able to take control of your EV, lock you in and drive you to traffic court. 🤣

Easy enough. Note the models that the TCU is on:

2021+ Mazda CX-5, Mazda CX-9; 2020+ Mazda CX-30; 2019+ Mazda3, and all other newer models.
Looks like we both found it. I had looked and found it a few hours ago and created another thread on disabling it. Thanks for sharing.

My 2018 seems to have the connect and mazda app though so im assuming it has data collection and plan on calling next week to make sure.

Police and insurance companies already use the black boxes to determine fault in fatal accidents...
which is kind of questionable...because things might not always be as they seem...

But to be monitoring usage every minute and then use that information to try and deny your warranty and find you at fault with only limited info is over the top, especially when it only tells part of the story.

Exactly. This is a big part of why "black boxes" are used. You've got your blinders on if you're not even considering the fact that people will lie through their teeth if they did something to void their warranty. You, in particular, may not be one of those people, but these "black boxes" prevent those people from getting away with stuff like this.

You're right, it does only tell part of the story. But it uses actual data to tell that part of the story. Where does the other part come from? The driver.. yeah, see above.

I can see it now.... You really have to gas it to merge onto ramps(or else be rear-ended) on your daily commute... They then turn around and say "sorry warranty voided...you were racing the engine."

Now you're just grasping at straws. Hard acceleration a few times during a commute is nothing, I do that every day. Keeping Sport Mode on with the engine RPM at 3k+ while cruising down the highway for 23 miles? That is not the same and you know it.

Might as well just say these new vehciles don't have a warranty...and pull out all the black boxes and crap.

Might as well take black boxes out of airplanes while you're at it, right?
This is a great example of cherry-picking one scenario to support your opinion in the face of thousands of real-world examples where having a vehicle warranty saved the customer.

I was trying to be facetious/sarcastic in that they will start denying warrantys for just normal driving, acceleration and merging, etc. Cars main function is to drive...engines shouldnt break that easily unless they're not maintained, lack oil, tracked at a race track, or defective. Now it appears they're on course to deny warranty work just for it being a daily driver.

Plus why didnt that dude get an overheat warning ??? Surely if he was driving it in sport mode at a speed(that was too high rpm and overheating the engine), then surely some type of warning lights should have come on.

How do you know the owner was maintaining it properly? How do you know they didn't track the car? You're making assumptions based on things that weren't said.

And what if it the warning light did come on? At that point the damage would have already been done, data logged, etc. Wouldn't change a thing. If you don't want to overheat the engine, don't drive it in a way that would cause overheating. This is not the same as typical daily driver use.

Exactly. This is a big part of why "black boxes" are used. You've got your blinders on if you're not even considering the fact that people will lie through their teeth if they did something to void their warranty. You, in particular, may not be one of those people, but these "black boxes" prevent those people from getting away with stuff like this.

You're right, it does only tell part of the story. But it uses actual data to tell that part of the story. Where does the other part come from? The driver.. yeah, see above.

Now you're just grasping at straws. Hard acceleration a few times during a commute is nothing, I do that every day. Keeping Sport Mode on with the engine RPM at 3k+ while cruising down the highway for 23 miles? That is not the same and you know it.

Might as well take black boxes out of airplanes while you're at it, right?
This is a great example of cherry-picking one scenario to support your opinion in the face of thousands of real-world examples where having a vehicle warranty saved the customer.

How do you know the owner was maintaining it properly? How do you know they didn't track the car? You're making assumptions based on things that weren't said.

And what if it the warning light did come on? At that point the damage would have already been done, data logged, etc. Wouldn't change a thing. If you don't want to overheat the engine, don't drive it in a way that would cause overheating. This is not the same as typical daily driver use.
REDLINES at 6300 rpm. Most people know not to REDLINE an engine. How was a driver supposed to know using sport mode and cruising at 2500 to 3000 rpm would damage the engine? Where is that written? And again, looking at the rpm graph chart, alot of vehicles would be over that 2500 rpm range at 70 to 80 mph legal speed limits on highways.

And maybe the reddit user hasn't provided the whole story but whats troubling is that mazda has apparently identified that they believe the low range of 2500 rpm can damage the engine and makes the driver responsible.

Usually the truth may be somehwhere in between, but it's very believable that they denied partly on the rpm being over 2500 rpm.

Last edited:
REDLINES at 6300 rpm. Most people know not to REDLINE an engine. How was a driver supposed to know using sport mode and cruising at 2500 to 3000 rpm would damage the engine? Where is that written? And again, looking at the rpm graph chart, alot of vehicles would be over that 2500 rpm range at 70 to 80 mph legal speed limits on highways.

And maybe the reddit user hasn't provided the whole story but whats troubling is that mazda has apparently identified that they believe the low range of 2500 rpm can damage the engine and makes the driver responsible.

Validate this with a credible source.

Mazda recommends canceling Sport Mode for regular driving, you wrote this previously. Most people don't cruise on the highway at 3k+ RPM. We don't even know if he was just cruising at a steady 3k.. cruising at 80mph is regularly done with Sport Mode off to save fuel. However, he does say that he "enjoys a little more fun driving experience" in the original post. I take that to mean that he had Sport Mode on so that he could stay in those high revs, allowing him to accelerate quickly to get around other drivers. His RPM could have been bouncing around between 3k to 5k for up to 23 miles at a time. Fact is, Mazda has data* proving that the engine was being "abused", and denied a claim based on that. He's not angry that they denied the claim based on that, he's angry because they found out and he didn't know they could find out (even though its all described in his manual, including the process to deactivate the data recording/reporting).

I personally wouldn't even consider that RPM chart because I can't validate it. You just uploaded a chart without providing a credible source for it.

*referring to using Sport Mode for extended periods of time, and/or aggressive driving at high RPMs for prolonged periods of time/distances.

@Unobtanium why did you only post a screenshot? Why don't you post a link to the thread? It could have more information relevant to the discussion.

That post was made to the CX-50 forum on Reddit. It was from a throwaway account - the user that made the post has made no other posts and provided no further information. There are no more details provided in the thread:

I'm skeptical that the poster is accurately describing the situation. The idea that the engine would overheat at 2500-3600 with 80mph wind blowing through the radiator is not credible. Further, I'm not even sure what Mazda denied here. Are they claiming the excessive oil consumption is due to whatever they saw in the telemetry, or are they voiding the whole warranty?

Still, you don't have to look very hard for examples of manufacturers using data retained in the ECU to void warranties. BMW, Lotus, and Nissan, to name a few off the top of my head, have denied claims after seeing excessive RPM, overuse of launch control, or trips to a racetrack. It's not a stretch for Mazda to do the same.

Back