Just one more reason buying my 2019 was a win...

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Normally I don't buy first-year vehicles, but I made an exception this time since neither the vehicle, nor powertrain were first year, except as a unit, in the case of my 2019 CX5 GT-R. Boy am I glad I did! Now not only do the 2020+ models have fake engine noise through the speakers, but the 2021 models track your every move, how fast you're going, and a load of other stuff, and do so without you having any way to stop/prevent it, and sending it right back to Mazda. Big Brother got his eye on your ZoomZoom and where you hang out.

Seems like you can turn it off, according to the link you provided:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISABLE OUR COLLECTION OF DEFAULT DATA FROM YOUR CONNECTED VEHICLE, PLEASE CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-800-222-5500. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING CONTACTING US IS AVAILABLE HERE.

Normally I don't buy first-year vehicles, but I made an exception this time since neither the vehicle, nor powertrain were first year, except as a unit, in the case of my 2019 CX5 GT-R. Boy am I glad I did! Now not only do the 2020+ models have fake engine noise through the speakers, but the 2021 models track your every move, how fast you're going, and a load of other stuff, and do so without you having any way to stop/prevent it, and sending it right back to Mazda. Big Brother got his eye on your ZoomZoom and where you hang out.

You should probably stop using computers, the internet, cell phones, smart TVs and other streaming devices, and other internet-connected devices such as thermostats, smart speakers, smart watches, security cameras, smoke alarms, smart switches, smart bulbs, and digital cameras that embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF data. And, don't drive any GM vehicle made in the last couple of decades equipped with OnStar. Mazda's data collection and sharing practices are hardly unique - they're typical of all automakers.

Others already know where you are and how fast you're going simply by having your cell phone with you no matter what vehicle you're in. Where do you think Google gets its traffic data? :)

You should probably stop using computers, the internet, cell phones, smart TVs and other streaming devices, and other internet-connected devices such as thermostats, smart speakers, smart watches, security cameras, smoke alarms, smart switches, smart bulbs, and digital cameras that embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF data. And, don't drive any GM vehicle made in the last couple of decades equipped with OnStar. Mazda's data collection and sharing practices are hardly unique - they're typical of all automakers.

Others already know where you are and how fast you're going simply by having your cell phone with you no matter what vehicle you're in. Where do you think Google gets its traffic data? :)
They're unique in that my 2019 doesn't beam up to scotty all the driving parameters.

Additionally, we may share the Default Data as follows:

• with law enforcement, courts, administrative bodies, or governments (“Enforcement Entities”) as may be required by applicable law; by legal process; in response to government investigations; for national security purposes; or where we have a good faith belief that disclosure of the Default Data is required by law or legal process. We may also share the Default Data with Enforcement Entities where we have a good faith belief it is necessary to do so to prevent harm, injury, or loss, and we may use the Default Data as reasonably necessary to pursue or defend legal actions, even if harm, injury, or loss has already occurred; and
  • with third-parties for educational research purposes in an anonymized and aggregated format.

They're unique in that my 2019 doesn't beam up to scotty all the driving parameters.

As long as you don't connect a smartphone via Bluetooth or USB or allow a Mazda dealer to connect a scan tool. :)

Attachments

• 2019_cx5_om_8-22.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 181
There's probably a way to disconnect the modem yourself, if you wanted. As vehicles switch to EVs, almost every car will have telematics.

There's probably a way to disconnect the modem yourself, if you wanted. As vehicles switch to EVs, almost every car will have telematics.

Just to note... A vehicle doesn't need a wireless connection such as a cellular modem to record and transmit data. For years, Hondas with "Display Audio" (touch screen) systems have recorded lots of data that can be retrieved by dealers through the ODB II port during service visits and sent to Honda who uses it and sells it to third parties. It appears Mazda is similar. Data harvesting is a significant revenue stream for automakers these days as it allows them to learn what features people actually use, how they use their vehicles, and make changes to future models. It also provides evidence needed to deny warranty claims (i.e., "Sir, the vehicle indicates you drove 70 MPH in second gear with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter for 100 miles. Such misuse is not covered under warranty. That'll be $10,000 for a new engine.").

Back