Rattling noise around strut

Maybe a vise grip then let it spin until it hits the frame or something to hold it.

It was my front sway bar link that gave me all the problems.
My rears were replaced for the safety when I bought the car so they're 9 years newer and they didn't give me a problem.

You might be able to use the grinder with a thicker wheel on it and shave down a whole side of the nut.
You can try to use a hammer and chisel to crack it when you're close to the threads.

He may be past this point, but would an impact wrench help here? I had to go buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight when I was replacing my struts because manual wrenching wasn't working.

He needs to have access to the stud to put the Allen key in it, a socket would cover up the stud.

Edit: Perhaps the rattling of the impact could work the nut free even if the stud is spinning but the stud spins a lot easier than the nut so I doubt it would work.

Last edited:
Now you take a big ViseGrips and clamp it onto the shiny metal part and a socket on the nut and crank it..

And then replace your end link...

You'll have to remove the other end of the end link too, in the same way..

Yeah, cutting it off would be your best bet.

The other half of the link stays on your old strut and gets thrown out with the old strut.

The hard part is cutting the remainder off the sway bar.
You don't want to cut or grind into the sway bar itself.

Just grind away at it carefully until it is off.

He needs to have access to the stud to put the Allen key in it, a socket would cover up the stud.

Edit: Perhaps the rattling of the impact could work the nut free even if the stud is spinning but the stud spins a lot easier than the nut so I doubt it would work.

I can't remember for certain, but it may have been my end link-to-strut fastener that I was rounding. After hours with wrenching, I got the electric (corded) impact wrench on sale from HF for like $40 to $50 bucks and the fastener was off in one second. That rattling really does the trick!

Back