Question regarding Spark Plugs

My 2008 Mazda 3 2.3L is at 76,000, so it was time to change the plugs. I bought them at Kragen, which when they looked it up, Motorcraft AYFS22FM was the recommend plug.

However after some research, I noticed that NGK ILTR5A seem to be the ones most people go with.

These Motorcraft are platinum plugs, where the NGK's are iridium.

Am I going to run into issues with these plugs? Is Kragen's system not recommending the right plugs?

The car seems to run fine. Is the only difference that I'm going to have to replace these plugs soon than the NGK's?

Thanks in advance!

well i heard and read alot that NGK are the reccomended brand of plugs for our cars. i bought NGX IX Iridiums and gapped them at 0.44 and they work and perform great. better gas mileage also. as far as i know motorcrafts are kinda like a so-so brand from ford, and NGK are more geared towards mazdas,hondas,etc. (someone correct me if im wrong)

hope this helps! (flame)

well i heard and read alot that NGK are the reccomended brand of plugs for our cars. i bought NGX IX Iridiums and gapped them at 0.44 and they work and perform great. better gas mileage also. as far as i know motorcrafts are kinda like a so-so brand from ford, and NGK are more geared towards mazdas,hondas,etc. (someone correct me if im wrong)

hope this helps! (flame)

What's funny is the OEM plugs I took out say FoMoCo on them, which would indicate they were made by Ford, but the number on them says ILTR5A, which is the same model as the NGK.

I know Ford and Mazda have partnered up on several designs. I think the Ford Fusion has the same 2.3 liter engine, as it was based on the Mazda 6 platform...

the oem plugs are NGK laser iridium. if you buy them direct from the dealership, they wont say NGK, it will say FoMoCo or Mazda on them (probably mazda now since ford divested their stock of mazda), but they are certainly NGKs.

yeah your probally fine either way. i just like to stick with NGK because there known and have had alot of success in the 3's (myself included)!

Back