Question for all you P5 owners

DRGSR

:
1997 Civic EX and 2003.5 P5
My wife and I will be looking into getting a new car in the next few months. My Crx is just getting too rusty. I will get her 2000 GSR Integra, and she will get our new car. We are thinking about the Protege 5 and the new Mazda 3 Wagon.
The thing is, I think the P5 looks better than the new 3 does, but I am concerned that, compared with the Integra, 135 hp will just seem completely weak compared to the 170 from the Acura.
What do you all think? Is the 135 enough to carry the car around? We will get a manual so that will help.
Thanks all,
Carl

get the mazda 3...
i think you'll grow to like it once a few more on the road pops up....

i wish i could change to mazda 3

I'm partial to the P5 jurt cause I'm in love with mine, but the mazda 3 wasn't around when I bought my car so I can't really say which is better. I think the P5 has enough pick up in it but I will most likely install a turbo kit when I get the money for it.

I wasn't sure if it was 130 or 135 so I guessed high. I guess I was just hopeful.
Anywho, we already have one fast car in the Integra so this one doesn't need to be super fast at all. Just needs to be useable for four on occasion and haul some stuff from places like The Home Depot.
Anyone here drive the new 3 and have comparisons for us.
Carl

A very nice car it is the Pro5 but it sure aint no power house....compared to my previous cars linked below. This car is the slowest........ you could say the car is quick but not fast. If your not in to racing and are not a speed demon, the power is well sufficient to move the car around with bursts of power when needed. Your best bet is to just drive one. It doesn't have the high rps like the integra's do, but does feel somewhat stronger in the low end compared to the integra which seemed stronger in the high end.

Just my 2-cents

I love my p5 and am going to love it more when the mazda 3 is out (I like the styling of the P5 more). The power isnt a problem because I don't like to street race and its fun to drive for other reasons.

The handling is great stock and can be made even better with some coil overs and stronger sway bar in rear and one up front.

The engine is actually faster around town than many other engines with similar outputs because it's torquey for a little 4 cylinder. It is fun around town and gets weak above 5.5k RPM which is no problem since im not racing :)

Comparing a mp5 to a integra is like comparing apples and oranges. The integra is high reving and meant to be fast. The mp5 is not a high rever and will handle better than your integra.

DRGSR said:
My wife and I will be looking into getting a new car in the next few months. My Crx is just getting too rusty. I will get her 2000 GSR Integra, and she will get our new car. We are thinking about the Protege 5 and the new Mazda 3 Wagon.
The thing is, I think the P5 looks better than the new 3 does, but I am concerned that, compared with the Integra, 135 hp will just seem completely weak compared to the 170 from the Acura.
What do you all think? Is the 135 enough to carry the car around? We will get a manual so that will help.
Thanks all,
Carl

well he new 3 BASE MODEL will have 148 HP and the upgraded 2.3L will have 160HP, the GSR will seem slow after you drive the 2.3 since it has 151TQ as well

one thing u need to look at too, what is the torque on the integra? prolly alot less then its 170 hp, but the protege has 135 torque, that will make the car move and feel much more then 130 hp cuz you don't have to string it out to get your power

the teg is also geared lower to make up for TQ, it may even have more TQ going to the wheels in 1st

the p5 is sporty although slow. It's very fun to drive, and you really wont make a deal out of the slowness with it just being fun and responsive. THe p5 has 8 more tq that the type r, and handles better than the type R I might add, so :p ::hides:: (not that torque ever made anything fast)

Now is the best time to get a p5 too, what with the mazda3 moving out the p5, they are going ultra cheap.

Also, the mazda3 runs on the ford 2.3 4-cyl.... do you want a ford? I mean, yay ford :rolleyes:

yeah I'd have to say that given the opportunity to get a P5 or a 3 right now I would suggest the P5. I am seriously concerned about the influence of Ford on the new 3. it seems like Ford was wanting to use the bin-o-parts to create a 3-Focus connection. that might lead to a greater selection in parts in the long run but neither is going to make up for the loss of a GSR as far as power. perhaps when I drive a 3 (yeah to being a valet!) it will change my mind but I've got nothing but love for my P5 (rofl2)

(redp5)
(wrc)

DRGSR said:
What do you all think? ...Carl

I was about in your shoes 2 weeks ago. My 170 hp Ford Contour was techincally totaled so I had to replace it. Granted the Contour is no Acura, but it had a good amount of torque and handled pretty well too.

I was hoping the 3's were out because they have the 160 hp, but I didn't like the styling as much as the P5 either. Without the choice of the 3, I gladly chose the P5 over a Jetta wagon (4 cyl, no turbo) and the Impreza Sport (not WRX, but with 160 hp). I find the excellent handling, great styling, and tremendous value (with the huge rebate) outweigh the desire for more power. The P5 power now seems normal to me, and I'm still merging onto highways and having fun on twisties (even more so) without feeling like I'm killing the engine. Of course, the enthusiasm of all the P5 owners in this forum added a bit of confidence to my decision too. Once I drove it a couple of days, I couldn't believe I even considered the other cars.

Well cool. Thanks everyone. I just need to get out and test drive one soon.
What is this giant rebate you are talking about?
How long do you think that I have to get to a dealer where I will actually have a choice in cars? That is, when will they stop making them?
Thanks,
Carl

They already quit making them and the rebate is 2500 cash back or 0% financing. Some dealers are taking more off. We got an additional 1300 off when we bought ours or something like that, anyway it was about 4000 total off. When you test drive one don't worry about the extras, the dealer can install that later. Try out the five speed and auto to decide what you want. The only add on I would worry about is the sun roof, its 1000 if you want one put on a car that doesn't have one on it already. Everything else can be added, even if they say it can't it can. I used to work at a dealership and we used to swap parts on cars for customers all the time. The 2003.5 doesn't always come with the roof rack too, hope this helps.

the p5 is suficently powerful for me. i just have a cold air intake and 17's and the car is pretty quick off the line(yay for torque). this car is a delight on the freeway if you like to go an average of about 80mph because at that speed, you just start to get into the power band(3400-5500 rpm) and acceleration is pretty damn good considering its 130hp and the ride is smoother than silk.

Back