PSA - Mazda looking for navigation SD cards?

I use my phone for navigating and voice commands through the car's speakers, and have the larger Mazda nav screen to see the roads. It works good that way.

Ah yes that could be it. So at worst they disable future updates? Navi still would work I assume? It sucks buying a car at almost $40k and not have that little card is not included 😩
Yes I got my car last February a 2022 Cx-5. I was fooling around and I ask the Stealership how much for the navigation SD card with taxes it came to $500. So I looked on Amazon and got it for fifty and change. It even has the Mazda Logo on it. Everything appears to be functioning just fine. Besides when I questioned the Salesman I bought the car from about this he said I could get one from the parts department. I asked how much? I laughed he laughed and I went home and order it on Amazon!

Hey Folks
I’m bumping this thread to see if there are any newer experiences to report. I ordered a card on Amazon, and I will be popping it in this week. That is of course as long as I do not hear any horror stories that are more recent. So far the car has been flawless, so I don’t want to upset the apple cart!

I'm OP and have nothing new to share. I haven't received any follow up email, and my card appears to be functioning normally. I haven't done any map updates, because as I stated earlier the only reason I wanted to card was to utilize the traffic sign recognition functionality.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I want it for as well. Or for those times where I can’t get cell service. Otherwise CarPlay all the way.

I ordered one from Amazon for my '17 CX5 due to on and off reading from the card. The new one fixed it by plug-n-play.
The map on my '16 Mazda6 was pretty outdated. Some new roads in my city are not on it. So, I got another one from Amazon once again. Plug-n-play. No issue. New roads on the map.
Just make sure you get the one that works with your model/year.

None of MAZAs business where I purchased my SD card. I will not support Mazda in their quest to trap customers into purchasing their OVERPRICED SD card
Back when PDAs were a thing, I had one that had GPS. I remember installing iGO 2006 with up-to-date maps from questionable sources. It would take 3-5 minutes for it to connect to enough satellites to determine my position, but it worked well enough. Certainly better than in-car navigations from that era.
Providing pirated maps for free is one thing. Selling them is a different issue. But as an average Joe, if I am buying a navigation SD card from a reputable platform like Amazon, I shouldn't be the one Mazda gets in contact with.
On the other hand, if I want to buy iGO navigation for my iPhone, with lifetime map updates, it costs $39.99 compared to the $568CAD that Mazda is asking for 3 years of map updates. That is ridiculous. That's the same software and the same map.
Maybe, and maybe, Mazda could try charging less for the updates. It's not like we have to use the in-car navigation, there are perfectly fine (arguably better) alternatives through CarPlay/AA.

I’m happy to report that my card is working flawlessly so far. I popped it in last night and it immediately loaded up. It looks like I have all the bells and whistles. Not to mention that the maps are up to date based on new construction in my area. The HUD display is sweet. I will most likely continue with CarPlay maps and use this as backup, but I will continue to test the two against one another to see how they compare. Some of my travels take me off the cell grid, so this is essential for peace of mind.

Yes if someone can sell it for $50 and make a profit Mazda and or the Stealership are ripping you off!
To be fair, Mazda has to pay the company that makes the maps a royalty, I'm sure. Mazda isn't doing that in house. That eBay seller is not paying license fees and is absolutely selling 'counterfeit' cards. They work, but they are counterfeit.
However, I am sure Mazda's royalty is probably... $25... not $250. That price they charge is absolutely appalling.

With phones today you can donwload map data so it works just as well without cell signals.
I’ve used offline maps all over the world, including New Zealand and Scotland, and I have to say that there are some limitations. They do not work quite as well as live, but I agree, that they are a viable option.

I do really like the HUD and sign recognition of the car navigation. Especially being able to have that on the windshield while having other apps running on the main screen.

If you did the update with your home PC, they'd have your IP address. Wouldn't that be enough to trace you down? Years ago, people downloaded pirated movies and all sort of stuff online without paying, but many of them got caught and sued for hefty damage. Not all of them got caught only a few unlucky ones to show the they're serious and discourage piracy.

I know Mazda's Nav system is primitive, I have it and I don't use it. But you still didn't pay for it. I wish you the best.
This post is ancient, but I was reading through nav card threads today and came across it. It wasn't years ago, it is still alive and well today for music, movies, TV shows and software. A VPN hides you and all is well - for now - I am sure there will be new tech which will make VPN's stop working, then the next wave of piracy will develop. It's a big game.

Back