PSA Gunther Mazda of Fort Lauderdale Put in the WRONG oil

Brought my 2021 Mazda CX5 Turbo in for its complimentary oil change and both times they have put in the WRONG oil. The first time they picked my car up on a flatbed and changed it again. The second oil change roughly 8 months latter they did put the wrong oil again even after I said please be sure to put in the right oil this time. Please see the photos as proof, Teri the service manager completely ignored me. I also wanted to get my tires rotated. Little did they know I marked them ahead of time. They did not complete a cross rotation tire rotation as the manual request. Instead they just moved the front to the back and back to front. Please dont make the same mistake I did at trusting this places to do service.

Attachments

• 2021 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual  Mazda USA.png
    2021 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Mazda USA.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0668(1).jpg
    IMG_0668(1).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 167
This has to be very common error made by Mazda dealers. I guess you can contact Mazda North American Operations and complain, even ask for some compensation.

Of course you can avoid this Mazda dealer at all cost, hopefully you have another Mazda dealer nearby with better reputation doing your service. Or you can escalate the case to dealer’s general manager or owner. You can take your own oil next time to the dealer, and ask them leave the empty container in the trunk. Hey, at least this dealer used a correct oil filter, and to my surprise it isn’t the cheaper OEM “Value” oil filter every other Mazda dealer uses for oil change.

Regarding tire rotation, that's something that seems to vary between manufacturers. Mazda says use a cross rotation, but Toyota and Nissan say front to back is recommended regardless of drive type.

Current Rav4 owners manual
(Page 407)
rav4tires.png

Last edited:
Buy a few Mazda filters, and then take it to an indie shop or quickie lube. Insist on the exact oil you want and then watch them do it.
FYI, my car says it should be 0W20. I use 5W30 instead. No issues, and it runs quieter. I also bring a freezer bag with me and ask for my old filter back.

Buy a few Mazda filters, and then take it to an indie shop or quickie lube. Insist on the exact il you want and then watch them do it.
Yes, that’d be another alternative. But the OP may prefer the “complimentary” oil changes offered by the Mazda dealer to save some money. If that Mazda dealer has such a high 4.6/5 stars on Google Reviews, I’d talk to the GM of the dealer and trying to resolve the issue.

FYI, my car says it should be 0W20. I use 5W30 instead. No issues, and it runs quieter.
Yes, for the 2.5L NA using the thicker 5W-30 oil instead of (recommended in the US and Canada) 0W-20 oil is perfectly fine (or actually even better as you’ve found out) because Mazda openly recommends using 0W-20 AND 5W-30 oil in owner’s manual in other markets worldwide.

I also bring a freezer bag with me and ask for my old filter back.
I thought about this as there’re reports that some dealers don’t really change the oil filter for their oil change. But the tech can easily pick up a used oil filter laying around near the oil change station, and there’re plenty of it available for the tech.

"Free" oil change or not, this is why I do all the work on all of my babies. You just can't trust anyone to do the right thing anymore.
I've posted about this before, but I've been burned in the past where the oil change and filter were not done, but I was billed for it.
In both cases, the car magically disappeared into the shop area behind the main building, where you can't watch the work being done.
As a result, I never get my oil changed where I can't see it being done. I don't trust anybody anymore.

I thought about this as there’s reports that some dealers don’t really change the oil filter for their oil change. But the tech can easily pick up a used oil filter laying around near the oil change station, and there’s plenty of it available for the tech.
That's another reason I bring my Mazda filter with me to these quick lube places.
They normally do not use factory filters, and instead use generic non Mazda (cheap) filters.
I know ahead of time when I go in there that the filter on the car is a Mazda factory filter, so when I ask for the old one back, I expect to see the used factory filter in my ziplock bag. If it's not, then there's hell to pay.
So far it has not been an issue.

That's another reason I bring my Mazda filter with me to these quick lube places.
They normally do not use factory filters, and instead use generic non Mazda (cheap) filters.
I know ahead of time when I go in there that the filter on the car is a Mazda factory filter, so when I ask for the old one back, I expect to see the used factory filter in my ziplock bag. If it's not, then there's hell to pay.
So far it has not been an issue.
That’d make sense to me now as you go to non-dealership oil change place and they’d have a hard time to find a used Mazda oil filter and give it back to you.

BTW, my Mazda dealer, Town North Mazda (Google rating is 4.7/5.0) is very good based on my experience dealing with the service department on warranty issues. Highly recommend them if you live in the Dallas area.

It is just really aggravating that something as simple as an oil change and tire rotation can just not be done correctly. Why can‘t people just slow down, concentrate and follow directions.

Damn man, sorry to hear that, I have taken mine there multiple times and didn't have any issues.
Tires, I knew they were going to do that front to back.
I ended up my own oil change as it was getting a little expensive to do them there (I was out of warranty too).

It is just really aggravating that something as simple as an oil change and tire rotation can just not be done correctly. Why can‘t people just slow down, concentrate and follow directions.

Incompetence, apathy, and a lack of common sense. I think that's about it.

I thought about this as there’re reports that some dealers don’t really change the oil filter for their oil change. But the tech can easily pick up a used oil filter laying around near the oil change station, and there’re plenty of it available for the tech.

never thought of that.
I always pull the dipstick to check the oil and verify that they really put new oil.

In my previous vehicles when oil filters were more visible and easy to see from the top, I would take a sharpie and mark the filter before taking it in. I'd also put a small scratch in it.
If the mark and scratch was still there after the job was finished, then I'd know they tried to screw me over.

It really is sad we have to think of all of these tricks to get a job done right. I would be changing my own oil if the car wasn't under warranty. The sad thing is, it would likely be in better hands if I did so.

It really is sad we have to think of all of these tricks to get a job done right. I would be changing my own oil if the car wasn't under warranty. The sad thing is, it would likely be in better hands if I did so.
Doing your own maintenance has ZERO effect on the warranty in any way, shape, or form.

I wouldn't want to give the dealer, or Mazda any ammo to try and deny a claim. I feel a dealer is much more inclined to honor warranty issues if they have a good service relationship with the owner. Of course you are right technically, but if they deny it, it may be a big hassle to get it done.

I wouldn't want to give the dealer, or Mazda any ammo to try and deny a claim. I feel a dealer is much more inclined to honor warranty issues if they have a good service relationship with the owner. Of course you are right technically, but if they deny it, it may be a big hassle to get it done.
Another way to state that is the dealer likes you better when you give them an extra thousand or two dollars throughout the warranty period.

Mazda cannot deny a claim as long as you did everything as specified in the Owner's Manual. There is no "ammo" they can use as long as the car is under warranty and isn't voided.

This does come into play when you try to file a claim outside of the warranty period. At that point, they have no incentive to help you out, but if you paid their high shop rates while the car was under warranty, they might throw you a bone. Even then, you only have a better chance of getting a goodwill repair - it's never a guarantee.

Back