Protege5 randomly loses power.

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So I was driving a couple days ago and I realized I was going in the wrong direction, so I pulled onto a gravel lot to look at a map. After a couple seconds of having the vehicle in park the entire car just randomly lost power. The entire vehicle turned off- power and engine. Is this something I should worry about? Or signs on any issues developing? I was able to turn the vehicle back on just fine when I turned the ignition key.

Literally 1 day after this the engine misfired and the engine light started flashing. I replaced the spark plugs a couple weeks ago, but I am going to replace the ignition coils and wires later this week.

Could the car completely shutting off one day and the engine still misfiring (even after spark plug replacements) be correlated in anyway? Anyone have advice or suggestions dealing with this?

Thank you

It is probably a bad connection at the battery terminals or the battery itself is failing. Batteries hate cold weather.

that sounds more like an alternator failing to me. does the battery light come on in the pre start key turn? if not you need to get the light fixed and check your charging system if it does come on and then turn off when car is started it may mean alternator is fine and its something else although not 100% on that alternators can go out or start failing with no charging light. if the charging light is on when car is running then alternator is about 90% likely source. either way swing by an autozone or somewhere of the like and have them perform a charging system test for you. and get the check engine light codes as well. but that sounds like either your belt came off, your battery is bad or very corroded(which usually means its going or is bad) your alternator is failing or has failed, which may end up with you also needing a new battery, or you have a bad, loose or corroded connection in the charging system somewhere.

kms1990, I took my car to autozone and they said my battery is as healthy as a horse and the connection terminals are clean. They tested the alternator and it was hovering between good and being kind of close to failing, but they did not think it was bad.

I purchased new coils and wires so hopefully that will address the issue. I haven't had any issues with the engine misfiring, but it's too soon to tell. The engine misfires once every 4 weeks. Fingers crossed that it will stop.

If the battery is good it must be the alternator or a bad or loose ground/connector in the charging system.

Back