Protege Front Wheel Bearing Service - LOTS OF PICS

I followed this How-To to do my bearings and came up with a few tricks and shortcuts with a bunch of pics that may be helpful.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830659-Bearing-Replacement-With-Video

Here's an example:

2. Removed the wheel and pushed out the center cap. This is to give acces for the axle nut using my breaker bar.
protegewheelbearing02.jpg

I just used a dental pick to pop out the center cap,... It saved me from removing the wheel then reinstalling it.

You can still use the punch to raise the divot on the axle nut with the wheel installed.

001_zps00d7485b.jpg

Last edited:
Great How-to thread.
For those who don't know, they make something called a tie-rod puller. It slides on the knuckle and there's a screw on top that, when tightened down, pushes the tie rod end out. It also doesn't damage the tie rod boot. It's much safer and easier than banging it out or using a lever.

Question, I checked out rockauto, there are multiple different brands for wheel bearings, all different prices. I don't want junk but I don't want to pay more than I have to.
Any one recommend a brand to buy or brands to stay away from?
Raybestos $16.99
Timken $21.79
Beck/Arnley $24.89
SKF $28.79
National $29.99

Great How-to thread.
For those who don't know, they make something called a tie-rod puller. It slides on the knuckle and there's a screw on top that, when tightened down, pushes the tie rod end out. It also doesn't damage the tie rod boot. It's much safer and easier than banging it out or using a lever.

Question, I checked out rockauto, there are multiple different brands for wheel bearings, all different prices. I don't want junk but I don't want to pay more than I have to.
Any one recommend a brand to buy or brands to stay away from?
Raybestos $16.99
Timken $21.79
Beck/Arnley $24.89
SKF $28.79
National $29.99

I got oem from onlinemazdaparts.com for $35 each plus shipping and there is a flat spot on the knuckle where the tie rod goes it. If you hit that spot few time with a large metal hammer it will pop the tie rod loose and no damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JzIdlolfg

Howling noise on 2002 P5

I did the right side last weekend and there was no change to the WAH WAH WAH WAH noise coming from the front end. So I started freaking out and thinking its bent wheel, broke tires, yadda yadda. This morning I jacked it up and ran it in forth gear and listened with my stethoscope. Sure enough the noise was coming from the left side bearing. I swore it was the right but my wife said "I thought it was the left all along". Guess I should have asked her oppinion, usually women can discern noise direction way better than men, at least in my experience. Anyway, after having had my @#!*% kicked by the right side and purchasing a real press to complete it, I tackled the left side today and took pictures. This time went A LOT better. I consulted the manual and was delighted to find that my techniques on the right were not too far off par. So here's what I did to do the left.

Items it would have sucked to not have:
-a good press
-a 3/4" socket set (a lot of use on the press)
-5' piece of 1" black pipe, the uber breaker bar.
-chisel and punch
-2lb ballpien, you need the oomph.
-torque wrench
-factory manual for torque specs
The rest is just usual tools like sockets, wrenches and pliers.

1. Jacked up the car. I chose the crossmember as I use jackstands on the side.
protegewheelbearing05.jpg

2. Removed the wheel and pushed out the center cap. This is to give acces for the axle nut using my breaker bar.
protegewheelbearing02.jpg

3. Used a punch to raise the divot on the axle nut.
protegewheelbearing03.jpg

4. Reinstalled the wheel, lowered it and used a breaker bar to loosen the nut.
protegewheelbearing04.jpg

5. Raised it up again, placed a jackstand and removed the wheel.
protegewheelbearing06.jpg

6. Pulled the brake hose clip
protegewheelbearing07.jpg

7. Took the caliper off, the top bolt is tricky, had to use an extension. The morons at Les Schwabb put red loktite on it (brake service before I bought the car).
protegewheelbearing08.jpg

protegewheelbearing09.jpg

8. Hung the caliper out of the way
protegewheelbearing10.jpg

9. Took the balljoint bolt out.
protegewheelbearing11.jpg

10. Used a soft hammer to break the rotor loose and remove
protegewheelbearing12.jpg

11. Took out the tierod cotter pin and nut. Once I straighten the bent sides, use the side cutters to "lever" the pin out, its the easiest way and if I sqeeze gentle enough the pin can be reused.
protegewheelbearing13.jpg

12. Using a 30" pry bar I pry up on the tie rod end and bang the knuckle (right by the tirerod) with a 2lb ballpein. Works every time, takes 5 to 15 blows with the hammer before it pops loose. Gotta brace myself when it gives I'll go flailing backward if I'm not ready
protegewheelbearing14.jpg

13. Use a puller and penetrating lube on the axle, I have never done this before and it worked like a champ on the right. Thanks to the member who suggested it on another thread. This axle didn't require the puller but I put it on for example.
protegewheelbearing15.jpg

14. Removed the strut bolts.
protegewheelbearing16.jpg

15. Put a large cold chisel in the balljoint slit to spread the knuckle and then lift the assembly off the balljoint.
protegewheelbearing17.jpg

protegewheelbearing18.jpg

** Here I it was very easy to feel and hear that the bearing was toast. A nice grinding feel and noise when spinning the hub.

16. Propped the knuckle tierod flange on a 2x6 and placed a socket that was slighly smaller in diameter than the HUB and gave it a few strong blows with the 2lb hammer till it fell out.
protegewheelbearing19.jpg

protegewheelbearing20.jpg

17. Used needlenose pliers to remove the retaining ring and sprayed penetrating lube all over the bearing.
protegewheelbearing21.jpg

18. Placed the knuckle on the press plates and selected a socket that fit the INNER RACE.
protegewheelbearing23.jpg

protegewheelbearing24.jpg

19. It wouldn't budge and I don't like loading up a 12 ton press with no movement. So I took the knuckle out and repeated what I did at step 16 for the hub on the inner race till I saw the bearing move a few thousandths. Then I knew the seizure was busted.

20. Set it back in the press and out it came
protegewheelbearing26.jpg

21. Used the dremel to cut the race left on the hub off. This is the manual recommended way and there is no other, trust me. If you mess up for some reason and have to press the hub out with the new bearings it won't affect it, just press the hub back in and it'll be fine. I did this on the right side as I pressed the bearing onto the hub before putting it in the knuckle; which makes it impossible to put the retaining ring back in....
protegewheelbearing27.jpg

22. Once cut, chiseled it at an angle till it popped and slid it off.
protegewheelbearing28.jpg

protegewheelbearing29.jpg

protegewheelbearing30.jpg

23. Cleaned up the parts
protegewheelbearing31.jpg

24. Notice there was NO WHEEL SEAL from the factory, which explains why these are a common fail. There is a wheel seal available and I would suggest using it. The bore for it was all rusted and nasty so I wire brushed it to shininess.
protegewheelbearing32.jpg

protegewheelbearing33.jpg

25. All clean, I "honed" it with scotchbrite and wire wheel followed by a wash with soapy water and blow dry. The bearing bore is so tight that you want it absolutely clean, any amount of dirt will cause the bearing to bind while pressing in and it'll be a @#!*% . Get it clean, period. Soapy water is the best method, oil and solvents will hold particles on the surface.
protegewheelbearing34.jpg

26. Gave it a spray of lube, lined everything up perfect and started to press. Went something like this pump pump pump POP, pump pump pump POP, each pop it would go down about 1mm.
protegewheelbearing35.jpg

27. Once it was flush with the knucke I used an old bearing to push it the rest of the way.
protegewheelbearing36.jpg

28. Pressing complete, the ring groove is fully exposed and put the ring in.
protegewheelbearing37.jpg

protegewheelbearing38.jpg

protegewheelbearing39.jpg

30. Now selected socket that fit the INNER RACE and another that held the hub square, then proceeded to press the hub in.
protegewheelbearing40.jpg

31. Wheel seal part number and installed it in the clean bore.
protegewheelbearing41.jpg

protegewheelbearing42.jpg

32. Notice the "drain" groove from the factory and how it defeats the seal I just installed. I filled it with high temp RTV.
protegewheelbearing43.jpg

protegewheelbearing44.jpg

33. The knuckle is complete. Since it never had an seal, the axle seal surface needed a good cleaning. 150grit and a wirewheel. Notice the anti-seize on the balljoint and axle splines.
protegewheelbearing45.jpg

protegewheelbearing46.jpg

34. See how the wheel seal is going to protect the bearing now. There's some talk of why there isn't a seal in subsequent posts.
protegewheelbearing47.jpg

35. I like to have my wheels mount as flush as possible so I bust all the rust off of the hub, rotor and wheel.
protegewheelbearing48.jpg

protegewheelbearing49.jpg

36. Button it all up and double check all that I took loose. Put the wheel on lowered the car.
protegewheelbearing50.jpg

protegewheelbearing51.jpg

protegewheelbearing52.jpg

37. Set the torque wrench to its max setting of 150 ft/lbs, and it didn't put the axle nut back to its original location, as expected.
protegewheelbearing54.jpg

protegewheelbearing56.jpg

38. Got the 5'pipe out and gave a couple tweeks till it was lined up with its original divot and re-divot'd it.
protegewheelbearing57.jpg

39. Put the center cap on and take 'er for a spin. Noise is gone, smooth as butter, better mpg on the way.
protegewheelbearing58.jpg

on a side note, did you know that there are very few nerve endings in the skin between the knuckles? This didn't even hurt.
protegewheelbearing61.jpg

EDIT---------------------------
Created this after a request for some details. This may help show how the whole thing is setup and you can see why it is the way it is.

MAZDAWHEELBEARINGCROSSSECTION.jpg

Hi, it looked like you are a pro with P5. I just bought a used 2002 P5 and has a howling noise from the front driver side. The faster you drive, louder it gets. My friend and I have replaced the spindle (hub), bearing, axles (CV). The noise still there, would you know where else that could be?
Thanks

How not to do

I tried following this information, and now I have a knuckle that still has the bearing race way stuck in it. As far as I can tell the bearing can only come out the side the clip is on. The otherside has a tall rim that even prevents me from even seeing or pushing the edge of the bearing. All of the auto part stores and some mechanic shops say they can't get the raceway out. I notice your has a drain area, which I suppose could be used to help push out the bearing. NOw I am stuck and waiting to figure out what to do. I have used all the bearing pullers I know of but nothing seems to work. THe other side of the car was easy. THe side of the kuckle opposite of the C ring had a smaller ledge which allow me to put a large scoket and push the bearing out, but alas the right side is different. AM i going crazy here or is something wrong.

If you can, get a die grinder in there and start cutting one side of the race. If you can get enough material out, use a hammer and a metal chisel to try and break the cut open. That should relieve enough pressure for you to get it out.

If you can, get a die grinder in there and start cutting one side of the race. If you can get enough material out, use a hammer and a metal chisel to try and break the cut open. That should relieve enough pressure for you to get it out.

Great, I just picked up a dremel and within 5 minutes that thing gave me to clean cuts, afraid to cut too close, so when it cools off I will bang on it and see if I can drive it out. I hit one of the cuts and a chunk of the raceway few off, so I know I am close.

Great, I just picked up a dremel and within 5 minutes that thing gave me to clean cuts, afraid to cut too close, so when it cools off I will bang on it and see if I can drive it out. I hit one of the cuts and a chunk of the raceway few off, so I know I am close.

That is how I did both of mine. Dremel and chisel till it cracks!

I've used SKF and Timken without any problems and I believe both are used as OEM.

Bringing this post from the dead. Just wanted to confirm something if someone can help.

So if i get either one of these, do i still need to buy the wheel seals? I want to order all the parts at once and have them ready to go. 03 P5 here, i know it has the drain hole, but i'm not sure if the wheel seal is needed or not.

thank you,

-D

Any way to do this without a bearing puller or a press? Was just gonna hammer in and out the bearings with a hammer and some sockets..

Yes you can do it that way but it's a pain in the butt. You'd be better off taking the knuckle assembly to a shop and having them press it out for $20 and a case of beer.

Yes you can do it that way but it's a pain in the butt. You'd be better off taking the knuckle assembly to a shop and having them press it out for $20 and a case of beer.

I gave up on it.. i got everything off, axle nut, shock bolts, ball joint bolt, tie rod bolt, caliper bracket, then i got to the damn AXLE itself... this thing is so siezed into the hub i called it quits... i tried hammering with the nut on, pentatrating oil, air hammer, a puller that pushes on the axle itself, heat, nothing work... my axle was getting marred up bad...

any ideas on what i could try next?

Take it to a shop where they might have more powerful tools. Last time I did this I couldn't get the axle out either. The guys are the shop used a monstrous air chisel/hammer and got it to pop out.

Take it to a shop where they might have more powerful tools. Last time I did this I couldn't get the axle out either. The guys are the shop used a monstrous air chisel/hammer and got it to pop out.

would if i had the money lol i might just keep soaking it wth PB blaster every day before i drive it for a week and try again next week.

The guys would usually do it for like $20 under the table or a case of beer, at least they will at the shop down the road. If you have a MAP gas torch (from Lowes/Home Depot) you can try heating the stuff up to expand the parts and maybe break up the rust.

Back