Protege 5 engine swaps

...I think you are referring to the KJ-ZEM that only came in automatic in the millenia S

No,... those letters don't ring a bell.

I'm almost positive it was kl swap.

(my Mazda247 folder got sucked into the Google vortex and disappeared,... I lost lost all my reference)

Do what Natey said and go Rotary. It's probably easier and way cooler.

Last edited:
Lmao go rotary my ass. Dude got everything hooked up and it's throwing a no fuel code. The crank positioning sensor was swapped and same deal so I'm guessing the crank needs to be swapped from the old engine. Hopefully that solves the problem cause I've already spent like 1500 on this swap and am down to the last bit of dough

Lmao go rotary my ass. Dude got everything hooked up and it's throwing a no fuel code. The crank positioning sensor was swapped and same deal so I'm guessing the crank needs to be swapped from the old engine. Hopefully that solves the problem cause I've already spent like 1500 on this swap and am down to the last bit of dough

The crank pulley reluctor ring on my JDM engine had less teeth on it than the USDM engine. I switched them because of that, and you will probably have to as well. Not sure why, but the fuel pump won't prime unless there is a valid CKP signal. You only need to swap the pulley, not the whole crank.

Now you know why I always use the sensors that came with the car and leave nothing to chance.. That stuff is a lot easier to change with the engine on a stand.

Yepp mechanic swapped the crank pulley and she fired right up. Waiting to hear from the shop owner to go pick it up. Now all that's left to figure out is figuring out a way to dummy plug the vtcs plug so it won't throw a cel. But really at this point idgaf if the check engine light stays on forever. So ready to get my ride back. Been driving a Ford f150 of my boss's and I hate it lol

The crank pulley reluctor ring on my JDM engine had less teeth on it than the USDM engine. I switched them because of that, and you will probably have to as well. Not sure why, but the fuel pump won't prime unless there is a valid CKP signal. You only need to swap the pulley, not the whole crank.

The crank signal is the most important one for your car to run, if its off, your car will not run or just run poorly.

The ECU knows to expect a certain amount of teeth to know where each cylinder is in the combustion process.

I'm still not positive I got a de. The guy I bought it from swears it is but it has the infamous black box in the intake manifold. And I read that only the ze's are the only one's with that. Is it possible whoever had the engine before swapped the intake off a ze? I ask because I was under the impression more than the crank pulley Would have to be swapped over for it to run with my stock harness and ecu. I guess I'll be taking off the valve cover tomorrow and checking the numbers on the cams

I'm still not positive I got a de. The guy I bought it from swears it is but it has the infamous black box in the intake manifold. And I read that only the ze's are the only one's with that. Is it possible whoever had the engine before swapped the intake off a ze? I ask because I was under the impression more than the crank pulley Would have to be swapped over for it to run with my stock harness and ecu. I guess I'll be taking off the valve cover tomorrow and checking the numbers on the cams

It is possible, the intakes interchange.

The ZE and DE aren't all that different. Mine runs just fine on the stock harness and ECU. It's not the end of the world if you have a ZE, you just can't boost it as easily, and that is remedied by swapping pistons.

Okay. Thanks dude. You've been a lot of help. And reassured me lol there ha e been people that act like it's the end of the world so it got me scared. We'll see today ight for sure. I will refer to the link and/or protegefaq for the numbers. The car does seem to have a little more go than it did before but I just chocked that up to the huge difference in miles

Back