Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

That's a bummer they need some modification, but I'm sure your guy will make them work! (thumb) I'm eager to see it all finished :D Happy Holidays too!

Have you gotten the car back yet? Those are some unexpected issues there for sure!

For my rear coilover, I had to cut little holes in the rear parcel shelf. Never thought about going through the trunk, hmmmm.

That's a bummer they need some modification, but I'm sure your guy will make them work! (thumb) I'm eager to see it all finished :D Happy Holidays too!

Yeah...He originally told me one week but it ended up taking about a month! No problem though, it's not a daily driver and I'm not a fan of rushed jobs. The good news is, it's done and I've got my Cosmo back...Picked it up just before Christmas. (2thumbs)

Full details and pics to be posted momentarily! :D

Have you gotten the car back yet? Those are some unexpected issues there for sure!

For my rear coilover, I had to cut little holes in the rear parcel shelf. Never thought about going through the trunk, hmmmm.

Yes! Unfortunately we did not go ahead with my trunk idea because as you know, the rear seat belts mount to a bracket that sits right over the rear suspension mounts and if I want to keep my Cosmo street legal in Japan, I have to keep the belts mounted as they came from the factory (if I understand the rules correctly). That fact combined with my desire not to cut holes in the factory interior made "operation rear coilover adjustment" just about impossible. :(

So for now, the rear interior will need to be taken out in order to adjust the rear coilovers...Fortunately, I'm liking the current setting so not a major deal at this time. :)

Thinking about it some more, there is probably a way to make it all work without cutting things up (such as that Tein EDFC system). Wait a minute...After just checking the Tein website, I spot this...Tein "Motor Extension Kit"...Here are pics from the site...

ext_01.jpg

https://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/img/ext/ext_01.jpg

ext_02.jpg

https://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/img/ext/ext_02.jpg

Info page... https://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/motor_ext_kit.html

Very similar to my trunk idea but have it be manual...Hmmm...Food for thought! :D

Alright now for the finale!

So it turns out that a few "adjustments" needed to be made to my custom DG-5 coilovers after initial receiving them. They needed to be lengthened and have the top mounts changed in order to "become one" with the Cosmo.

Below you can see a couple shots courtesy of Kawato-San showing the freshly updated coilovers ready for install...

23947980746_e02d4fb1a7_k.jpg

23606219579_5f1e0ee9d6_k.jpg

Here are pics of the updated coilovers mounted on the Cosmo thanks to Mr. TCP Magic...

Ps...Note to self, save for a brake upgrade!

23345862524_24d5921c2c_k.jpg

23974087265_48180735cf_k.jpg

Another Note To Self...Upgrade Brake Lines!

23974087085_f962245de3_k.jpg

These are pics from Kawato-San showing how the rear seat belt mechanism is mounted and where the coilover adjustment knob is located (sadly)...

23347286923_e0a86346e8_k.jpg

23347288173_e0944e395d_k.jpg

23974089495_a8c7f717e4_k.jpg

This is the view from the TCP Magic Office of the Cosmo having the interior put back in, fortunately it only took an hour!

23678406260_839abbdbe2_k.jpg

Here's the office and a view of the showroom where the TCP Magic Race Cars are kept...

23348382903_76c1f9a988_k.jpg

23346976284_0f25ce639e_k.jpg

If anyone is interested to know the spring rates and current settings, they are...

* Front Spring Rate: 14kg
* Front Dampening Level: 12 (0 to 30 range and lower equals harder)

23678405650_852192c51b_k.jpg

* Rear Spring Rate: 8kg
* Rear Dampening Level: 17 (0 to 30 range and lower equals harder)

23606219049_8145992108_k.jpg

For those of you that are still with me, lol...Here's how the Cosmo sits now, which is not much different actually but to me it looks and feels COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and that is not an exaggeration! The rear has been dropped a bit and the front has been slightly raised and leveled...

23347287323_47946a26e0_k.jpg

I'm going to save my impression of #CoiloverLife for next time so please do stay tuned, thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the holidays! :D

Wow what the...that's the first time I've seen the rear seat belts like that! My rear are just lap belts, and they tuck nicely under the seat cushions, so are all the other Cosmo's I've seen. Do you have pictures of the rear belts with all the interior trim back in?

Congrats on the coilovers, that's the same spring rates I have on my Swift's mounted onto my Aragosta's. They a great compromise between comfort and performance.

Wow what the...that's the first time I've seen the rear seat belts like that! My rear are just lap belts, and they tuck nicely under the seat cushions, so are all the other Cosmo's I've seen. Do you have pictures of the rear belts with all the interior trim back in?

Congrats on the coilovers, that's the same spring rates I have on my Swift's mounted onto my Aragosta's. They a great compromise between comfort and performance.

About the Belts...Really? Yours are just lap belts? Got a pic? Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any pics of the rear deck at the moment but I can assure you mine are not lap belts! You can see them for a second in this video I made years ago (literally) when I first got the Cosmo (a few changes to the interior since then)...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZoWzj4hdwmU?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Could it be because mine is a '95? Perhaps there was a law change or just a next year model tweak?

As for life with coilovers...LOVE IT!!! (rockon)

Every aspect of the driving experience is now different and BETTER! I knew it would be different but I didn't expect it to be to this degree. For example, even just accelerating from a stop feels faster now that the body doesn't move around like it did with the old stock setup. The same positive effect can be felt when braking too...The Cosmo STAYS planted at all times and you might be thinking...Well, what about the ride quality now..? It's surprisingly good, the same as before if not better with a few exceptions though...Mainly, when hitting sizeable bumps or dips in the road, I do feel a more pronounced "thump" now but fortunately, Japanese roads and highways are quite smooth for the most part so it's rare to even hit a bump, especially on the highway.

I did go for a long drive yesterday to further test the new suspension setup and man was it a blast! I'm definitely able to confidently carry more speed through corners now...Speaking of corners, I no longer feel the risk of rubbing my front tires around tight hairpin turns in the mountains thanks to the DG-5's ability to maintain under load and to it's height adjustability.

If there is a downside to all of this, it's that now it exposes weakness in other parts on the Cosmo, like the tires. The DG-5's are definitely putting more pressure on my old Yokohama DNA S.drive tires. I'm thinking the next major upgrade is going to be new tires and wheels (one piece forged RAYS if I can afford it). I do find my self driving the Cosmo harder now and enjoying it more than ever before which is awesome but I am also trying to keep it in one piece!

Well that's all for now...Thanks for reading and if anyone as any questions etc, post away! :D

Where are you located again Antoine?
Im flying down to Honshu in February, would love to have a look at your beast.

Cheers,
Bruno

Thanks for the heads up and kind words! (2thumbs)

Awesome, keep upgrading! These things handle better than their weight leads you to believe.

They sure do, I'd like to put the Cosmo on a subtle diet...Take weight off in a way that won't "take" away from the overall EC experience and look while enhancing performance at the same time. I've done a bit of that already with boltons and now the coilovers but I would like to replace the wheels and brakes in the future and eventually the exhaust...All with lighter, stronger and higher performance parts!

The Eunos Cosmo deserves it, damn it! (werd)

Where are you located again Antoine?
Im flying down to Honshu in February, would love to have a look at your beast.

Cheers,
Bruno

Hey Bruno!

Cool, I'm in Kobe although I don't know how much driving I'm going to do in February given the cold weather and my schedule but it would be great to meet up etc...Let's keep in touch! :D

They sure do, I'd like to put the Cosmo on a subtle diet...Take weight off in a way that won't "take" away from the overall EC experience and look while enhancing performance at the same time. I've done a bit of that already with boltons and now the coilovers but I would like to replace the wheels and brakes in the future and eventually the exhaust...All with lighter, stronger and higher performance parts!

The Eunos Cosmo deserves it, damn it! (werd)

Stock exhaust is INSANELY heavy. Although mine came with AutoExe cat-backs, the rest of the system was seriously hefty. The stock y-pipe coming from the the turbo outlet to the mid-pipes is heavier than my entire titanium system now. You should talk to Kawato-san about building you a single outlet 3in exhaust, and then maybe we could talk about trading exhaust :p (I really want something louder and even more free flowing!).

nice cars....got a little problem maybe you guys can help me with.... I just imported a 1995 mazda cosmos 20b.... the speedo stops working after 40km/h and the 123/dsl lights flash back and forth and the hold light comes on, only after I hit about 40km/h.... can anyone help me??? THANKS....

Stock exhaust is INSANELY heavy. Although mine came with AutoExe cat-backs, the rest of the system was seriously hefty. The stock y-pipe coming from the the turbo outlet to the mid-pipes is heavier than my entire titanium system now. You should talk to Kawato-san about building you a single outlet 3in exhaust, and then maybe we could talk about trading exhaust :p (I really want something louder and even more free flowing!).

Mine must way a TON, I'm still running the original MAZDASPEED exhaust system that I believe was a factory / dealer option when the Cosmo was new...It may not be as heavy as the stock system but I'm sure it's still seriously heavy. Wait...Do you not need to run cats? Due to Shaken requirements, I can't just replace my exhaust system with anything, the cat has to be certified and the whole system has to be able to pass Shaken. Speaking of exhausts, I wouldn't mind updating / replacing / repositioning my exhaust tips...I'm still running the original MAZDASPEED ones which I really dig but I've been thinking newer larger exhaust tips might help to update the rear of the Cosmo and give it a bit more attitude.

Any update on getting a custom titanium exhaust built for your Cosmo..?

nice cars....got a little problem maybe you guys can help me with.... I just imported a 1995 mazda cosmos 20b.... the speedo stops working after 40km/h and the 123/dsl lights flash back and forth and the hold light comes on, only after I hit about 40km/h.... can anyone help me??? THANKS....

Hello there and thanks for posting, not sure what your issue is but it could be electrical...Please start a new thread in our Rotary Section (link below)...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?335-Rotary-Lounge

I hope you find a solution and keep us updated, thanks!

Ps...I'd love to see pics of your Cosmo too.. (thumb)

Re gauge pod for Cosmo

Hi I am after RE gauge pod on steering column for cosmo anyone got any ideas were i can get one.

thanks...I started a new thread.....

Thanks again for starting a new thread! (thumb)

Hi I am after RE gauge pod on steering column for cosmo anyone got any ideas were i can get one.

Hi and Welcome! Good question...I ordered mine from within Japan years ago...Looks like it's no longer offered via the RE Amemiya website or on sites like NenGun. Have you tried eBay or Yahoo Auctions Japan? I would also try contacting people directly like fellow Cosmo owners LoneStarS30Z and Herblenny...Try PMing every person who has posted about their Cosmo on Mazdas247. Some of them may not respond but some of these guys stock pile parts and may have one or at least offer a solid lead! Finally, it wouldn't hurt to ask Kawato-San at TCP Magic ( info@tcp-magic.com ) here in Japan if he has one or a lead (he knows Rotary Mazda people in the U.S. and Australia etc).

Good Luck with the search and if you've got a moment, I'd love to see you start a new thread about your Cosmo! :D

Any updates?

Sadly no...Just maintenance these days...I've got plans but time and budgets are required elsewhere currently...Thanks for asking though and for checking out my thread here...I received your PM btw, response coming soon!

I should change the title of this thread to...

Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has SOLD!

That's right, after 10+ years and many memories, I decided it was time for the Cosmo and I to say goodbye and part ways. I really did love that car but I've got other priorities these days and I don't have the time to give it the attention it deserves.

Speaking of attention, I don't know much about the new Owner (the actual sale was handled by TCP Magic), just that they are in Japan which means the Cosmo will likely remain in its homeland.

I have a feeling I'm going to see the Cosmo again someday, somewhere in Japan and I will instantly know...THAT was my car!

Saying "goodbye" to the Cosmo did make me quite emotional, I was sort of at a loss for words but relieved at the same time knowing that it was going to a good home.

Perhaps someday I will own it again...Who knows...;)

For now, I'm vehicle-less but I would like to get back in the Driver's seat again of course...Not sure what vehicle that seat will be in yet...We'll see...Stay tuned and thanks for following this thread over the years! 😃

Back