Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

*Goes to buy ticket to Australia :D Thanks for the invite...I'm glad you posted those vids because it only gets me more excited about owning a rotary! (rockon)

As for MORE POWER hehe...I think 400hp at the crank is a done deal with the addition of a few basic boltons and 400whp is just around the corner with the addition of a modified ecu and fine tuning of the boost levels.

The first major "speed bump" might be the stock turbos and or the fuel system maxing out...hopefully that won't happen unless I've hit on the plus side of 400whp.

Another thing while i think of it Antoine - Microtech are the masters of rotary ecu's... they were doing aftermarket EMS for rotarys before anyone else...

I speak to Jon fairly regularly (he's big in the sport compact drag fraternity down here) and he's a really great bloke - give him a bell and see if he can hook you up ;)

You've also got most of your AV's selling microtechs who have connections with Jon who can sort something for you.

what turbos are they stock?

Fuel system would be absolutly no hassle to upgrade - there'd be plenty of direct replacement injectors for it etc.

Thanks for the info...It might be a while before I consider going "EMS"...although you never know...;)

As for the stock turbos...Good question...I thought I read it somewhere but can't seem to find an exact answer at this time...However, it seems the absolute limit of the stock turbos is about 1-bar or 14.7 psi...beyond that and they are toast...

The good news is...I've read that by upgrading the intake, exhaust, fmic, ecu (chipped) and setting the boost to around the 1-bar level...The 20B TT is good for around 450hp!

Basically...The first hurdle in the quest for more horses seems to be the stock turbos...but even with basic boltons and bumping up the stock boost a few psi...I think a healthy 400+hp at the crank is possible...

My power plan at this point is to make the most of the stock turbos and fuel setup...:D

Picked up a copy of the 2007 AutoExe catalog...Believe it or not...They still offer a few parts for the Eunos Cosmo! (thumb)

Plus...I picked up this RX-7/Rotary magazine/book publication with all sorts of juicy rotary info including an upcoming event in Kobe...Schweet! :D

Thanks for the info...It might be a while before I consider going "EMS"...although you never know...;)

As for the stock turbos...Good question...I thought I read it somewhere but can't seem to find an exact answer at this time...However, it seems the absolute limit of the stock turbos is about 1-bar or 14.7 psi...beyond that and they are toast...

The good news is...I've read that by upgrading the intake, exhaust, fmic, ecu (chipped) and setting the boost to around the 1-bar level...The 20B TT is good for around 450hp!

Basically...The first hurdle in the quest for more horses seems to be the stock turbos...but even with basic boltons and bumping up the stock boost a few psi...I think a healthy 400+hp at the crank is possible...

My power plan at this point is to make the most of the stock turbos and fuel setup...:D

450hp for essentially doing nothing! thats insane.....

The motor will take to porting really well too - but that would involve stripping it back (something which i believe gets done on a more regular basis with rotaries, but not owning one i can't be certain). So rub your hands together if your apex seals go my friend... because then it will be J-Port time :)

teehee

automatic? they didn't make those things in stick?

Probably not, given it would classify as a "Luxury Cruiser" not a sports car per-se.

Also remember, Manual for amatures, Auto for professionals

my new dragster (dedicated, 800hp is the target output.... out of a mitsubish 4G63T) will be running an auto box, for 2 reasons, can't find a decent manual to hold the power, and can't afford a clutchless manual like a lenco or a liberty box....Obviously my box will be fully manualised, with transbrake - but mechanically it'll still be automatic.

All things being equal, autos should generally be happier holding massive RPM (the kind of thing you see on worked rotaries), and if designed properly should hold more power.

450hp for essentially doing nothing! thats insane.....

The motor will take to porting really well too - but that would involve stripping it back (something which i believe gets done on a more regular basis with rotaries, but not owning one i can't be certain). So rub your hands together if your apex seals go my friend... because then it will be J-Port time :)

teehee

Yup...It seems like the 20B has similar potential to that of a small or even big block V8...V8's respond to turbos really well..Just look at those lingenfelter corvettes that not only produce amazing power but they also perform really well!

There is no doubt that the 20B has similar potential for SERIOUS performance and even if I don't pursue such extremes...I'm happy just knowing about the "beast that lies within"...(laugh)

Nope...The Eunos Cosmo was never offered with a manual tranny and that was for a reason I believe...The car was designed as a GT or Gran Touring performance based luxo cruiser able to cruise at high speed in style and comfort...and do it with ease...

I believe Mazda wanted to attract Mercedes & Jaguar buyers more than say BMW buyers...What Mazda added to the mix with the Cosmo was a successful fusion of high performance, sophistication and passion...3 elements that other makes like Mercedes & Jaguar lacked at the time...and some would say...even now...

Interesting input Lord...There are certain applications where auto is better than manual...I believe that a manual setup would lend itself to the Cosmo quite nicely but it's not in the nature of the car...I did read in my research that the Cosmo's auto tranny is quite strong and reliable...I'm sure it should be able to handle more power with ease...

I think the auto compliments the drivetrain very well...keep in mind that the 20b is silky smooth...like a v12 and that smoothness is retained via the auto tranny.

Heres an indication of the power of a rotary Antoine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1782B6RZw

So yeah, you can make as much if not more than a V8, to a point, until such time as the V8's greater displacement starts reigning the rotary in.

(that vid is of the BMW's quad rotor i showed you the other day..... they've gone to a big single turbo...and seem to be cooking exhaust manifolds for dinner...yum yum - i get up close to this thing on saturday, i'll be sure to take some pictures for you! - big sport compact meet, loads of rotaries and so forth to drool over).

Transmission, yeah, your transmission would be more or less bullet proof i'd imagine.. can't see mazda scrimping on transmission strength with a 20B...that would be silly.

If the transmission is a problem, there are kits to get the supra manual boxes connected to a rotary, and i'm sure a GM auto could be addapted to suite (turbo 400 3speed will hold more horsepower than you could ever ever throw at it)...but this car of yours, is largely a street car, so i can't imagine you ever requiring something like that.

you're right, manual cosmo wouldn't be in the right spirit of the car, its a cruiser...and when you are busy belting through the country side, the last thing you want to do is row gears...

I see the cosmo sort of like the toyota soarer... big hero engine, capable of monster power, but refined and placed in a luxury saloon........which means you get the most comfortable ride imaginable, like driving on a cloud.... but when you are more than capable of showing some kiddies who their daddy is when you press the "loud" pedal :)

Nice vid...I'll keep that engine setup in mind when I plan on having the first Cosmo to enter orbit...hehe...Love how the exhaust manifold become hotter than hell on the top end of each run...HOT STUFF! (thumb)

Haha...I like your description of the car...You definitely hit the nail on the head there...Whether on local roads or pristine highways...It's the countryside where you can really let 'er rip...The city is pretty much "cruising only"...;)

I love this line "but when you are more than capable of showing some kiddies who their daddy is when you press the "loud" pedal :)" ...lol...It's funny...most people don't even know what a Eunos Cosmo is but it has this presence that attracts all sort of challengers...From salarymen in their modified euro rides to "kiddies" in their wannabe drift cars...It also gets a lot of "woah...wtf" double takes :D

Looking forward to those pics! (2thumbs)

Hehe, thought you'd like it...scary thing is they are getting methanol to cook metal like that (methanol burns cooler than unleaded petrol) which gives you an idea of the kind of boost it pulls. I personally love the way they keep flogging the motor, after the exhaust manifold gasket explodes and sends foot long flames every which way :)

I'll have LOTS AND LOTS of 20B vids for you in a couple of days mate....

wtf was blowing flames out from behind the manifold!?

Half way through the 1600hp run, it incinerated its metal manifold gasket - so that was unburnt fuel and lots of heat...

i'd imagine with that happening, the turbo wouldn't have been getting fed all the energy it could have been, so who knows what sort of power it would have made if it didn't blow the gasket....

pretty cool though :)
before the gasket blew, the pipes were that hot they were almost transparent :)

hahaha I sort of figured he thermaled the gasket, wasn't sure tho. That's nutso.

Hmmm...A 1600hp fire breathing-gasket melting monster...That just might piss off the neighbors...no maybe the whole block...lol...Where do I sign? (laugh)

Upgrade progress has been somewhat slow due to the fact I've had to shell out dough to furnish my new place and for the ticket to see my Sis.

Here is the current Checklist...
*Car Cover = Done
*Basic Cleaning kit = Done
*New factory A-pillar covers = Purchased...More on this later...
*New factory Wiper arms + blades = Purchased...More on this later...
*AutoExe Ramair Intake = Future buy...Xmas?
*AutoExe Ignition wires = Future buy...Xmas?
*Okuyama/Carbing cooling plate = Future buy...Xmas?
*Blitz SBC i-DIII or SBC i-Color = Future buy

Current discoveries:
* Old School Turbo Timer (works like a charm (thumb) )
* AutoExe Suspension (at the time of purchase, I was told the car had modified suspension...possibly by Mazdaspeed...I tried to confirm this on the net but couldn't find any clear info...I don't have access to a lift yet so I tried to snake my digi cam under the wheel well and see for myself)
IMG_0949%20(Medium).JPG

I tried the same technique for the rear and you can see that the Cosmo has the usual strut setup in addition to a separate shock...I wonder why Mazda chose this setup...?
IMG_0954%20(Medium).JPG

what's wrong w/ the wiper arms?

And in regards to the separate shock / McStrut-spring setup, I saw something similar to that in the junk yard this weekend on the rear suspension of a 1985 Jaguar X-Type:
11-03-07_1010.jpg

The part of the wiper arms that's exposed (not hidden under the hood) looks like it has been sandblasted...basically showing metal...The car is 12 years old!

It could be something else but I would have to investigate further...In anycase, I've been dropping by my local Mazda dealer (one of the largest in this region and it's only about a 5 min walk from my place) and checking up on what factory new parts are still available...

Surprisingly, they still have SOME Eunos Cosmo parts in stock throughout Japan...Some of these parts are actually in Hiroshima. I've asked about different parts on several occasions and in some cases...They really only have "one left"...lol

As for the wiper arms...A set of new ones wasn't that expensive so I decided to order a set and keep the "old" ones as spares...

In a few years...Mazda will no longer carry most of the Eunos Cosmo parts and no one knows if anyone will reproduce them in the future...So, I've been checking prices and availability on a bunch of random parts...:)

As for the Jag setup...Nice find...Don't some hotrodder/custom car builders use old-school Jag rear-ends to improve handling? Don't they have a center mounted brake/rotor setup...On both sides of the diff?

Back