Problems getting tunes to play via usb flash drive

My friend has a 2015 Mazda6. We are having problems getting tunes to play via usb flash drive. USB greyed out on display. Cannot select. Car is not equipped with Mazda Connect. Is this required to to play audio from flash drive? I read a lot about usb taking long time to load but nothing about not working at all. This flash drive works well in my 3rd gen Tacoma but not in his Mazda6. A little bit of relevant info may keep me from barking up the wrong tree. How about firmware, will this car accept upgrade?

I have no issue with my '16.
Check if you have too many files in the USB drive.
I recall the manual says something about that.

Thanks for the reply Ceric, but that doesn’t really help. Flash drive is 16g formatted FAT32 and has 10 mp3 tunes on it. The 2015 Mazda6 does not have Mazda Connect. So my question, Is Mazda Connect required to play tunes from flash drive? If it does then that answers my question.

My other buddy has 2017 CX-5 with ALL options available at the time. CX-5 has Mazda Connect but he can’t play tunes from flash drive either. Only by bluetooth. His manual says The USB power outlets are designed only for charging and they cannot be used for connecting to vehicle’s audio system. What’s up with that?

Very disappointing. Especially when another buddy’s 2010 Camry Hybrid plays flash drive perfectly.

Mazda seems to not have their act together.

Attachments

• 2017 CX5.JPG
    2017 CX5.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 124
Back