Price for 15K mile service?

I paid $50 or so for my 15K service at my local Mazda service center. I mean 'by the book' 15K, with all the inspections of hoses and fluids. Definitely not feeling ripped off.

The key is print out the service schedule, bring it with you to the Mazda center and say you want exactly what is on the paper. That's what I did.
This. I pay less than $100 per service for my Mazda's. There have been maybe one or two times when it was larger - most likely for brakes. This is is over 5 Mazda's -two CX-5, one Mazda 3 and two CX-9 - over 7 years and two dealers (in PA and SC).

Last edited:
I always use a premium full synthetic motor oil and buy quality gas (top tier).

A bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner after a few years might help.

I feel that the car is put together properly at the factory. Sometimes people, being human, can mess up things more than help.
Even if those BG crank case cleaning service and BG ethanol treatment may help to keep your engine running smoothly, but these aren’t the kind of services at 15,000 miles. In fact, my 1998 Honda CR-V with 175K miles haven’t done any of these services!

Apparently this Mazda dealer is more reasonable. The problem for you is they’re too far away from you.

I’d try the local Mazda dealer and give them a list of what I want to be done, oil change with 5W-30 full synthetic oil、tire rotation、cabin air filter replacement、etc. Of course you should have already known changing the cabin air filter is a very easy job and you can do it by yourself.

Guide 2017 CX-5 DIY Cabin Air Filter Replacement and Location

Mazda Cabin Filter Comparison

Here's a curious factoid from the 2020 NA manual.

For US and PR vehicles, the two flexible schedules are presented. Flip a few pages to Canada and there is only the less severe driving schedule. Flip a couple more to Mexico and it's back to the two schedules.

Can anybody think of a reason for this? It's not like Toronto doesn't have stop and go driving or Canada doesn't have "driving for long periods in cold temperatures".

Don't ever ask for the XX mile service. Know your scheduled maintenance and ask for it specifically. Otherwise you pay for inspections that don't add value and services that are not OEM recommeded. I noticed my Mazda dealer also has a big checklist on their counter for "Dealer Recommended" not "Mazda Recommended" services. Scam central for these dealerships.

Here's a curious factoid from the 2020 NA manual.

For US and PR vehicles, the two flexible schedules are presented. Flip a few pages to Canada and there is only the less severe driving schedule. Flip a couple more to Mexico and it's back to the two schedules.

Can anybody think of a reason for this? It's not like Toronto doesn't have stop and go driving or Canada doesn't have "driving for long periods in cold temperatures".
Canada only has the severe schedule. Maybe it has to do with the cold temps and them having unlimited mile warranties

More helpful information. Thanks to all! I'm glad that my feelings (about the price being out of line) were correct. I'm sure there are plenty of people that just pay it and don't question it or think about it and some dealerships are happy to take advantage of this.

I'm a little disappointed that this dealer seems to be shady. At least the service department. I bought my car from this dealer and the purchase experience was very good.

Canada only has the severe schedule. Maybe it has to do with the cold temps and them having unlimited mile warranties
OK, sort of. In skimming down the first Canada page I stopped at the non-diesel air filter with periodic inspections followed by replacement at 35k miles so I reckoned I was looking at non-severe. That's odd given how dusty it gets, from what I recall, in eastern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Oil changes show the severe interval.

Oddly, in comparison, US/PR non-severe service for non-diesels says replace the air filter at 22.5k miles, period, whereas severe says replace at 30k miles with a note saying if you drive in dusty areas then clean, and if necessary replace, more frequently. Why not the same advice for normal service taking the filter potentially up to 30k miles? Or up to 35k miles as in Canada? Seems odd.

These are more curiosities than concerns. With other vehicles, when I pop into Advance for an cabin filter around 15k miles I get the air filter too as a matter of convenience. I'll be doing the same with this Mazda. The air filters are not pristine at 15k, of course, but quite serviceable. Yes, I know, I waste around $3 per year, maybe. That's fine by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed something. There's nothing in the service schedule for brake fluid. This would imply another purported "life of the vehicle" item. What say you guys?

I just noticed something. There's nothing in the service schedule for brake fluid. This would imply another purported "life of the vehicle" item. What say you guys?

There is a line item for Brake and clutch fluid level, and it suggests an inspection every 6mo/8k kms/5k mi.

I'd replace the fluid every 2 years, or whenever the brake fluid tester says it should be replaced.

The difference between Recommended and Value is BG crank case cleaning service and BG ethanol treatment.
What in the world is BG crank case and BG ethanol treatment?
It's like stealerships are inventing new ways to rip you off.
Next thing is they'll recommend refreshing the air in your tires and changing the blinker fluid.

At 15K miles, the only thing you need is an oil change and probably a tire rotation. All that other stuff is pure profit for the dealer.

And to piggyback on the testing the brake fluid before you bother changing it, the testers are dirt cheap. Like, $15, or even less.

There is a line item for Brake and clutch fluid level, and it suggests an inspection every 6mo/8k kms/5k mi.

I'd replace the fluid every 2 years, or whenever the brake fluid tester says it should be replaced.
I was looking at the US/PR non-severe schedule. It says nothing about brake fluid. which would imply not even checking the level. That appears to be an oversight.

US severe and Canada follows what you say about inspections. Interestingly, both Mexico schedules call for replacement at 24 months/40,000 km in line with your approach.

I confine myself to checking/topping fluids, checking tire pressure and wear, replacing filters, and detailing--all the easy stuff. The Full Circle report from my first oil change at a Mazda dealer shows they checked the brake fluid. That should be sufficient. I'm sure they'll be happy to recommend a fluid change if there's an issue.

Anyway, this is helpful. I'll update my service spreadsheet with a brake fluid item indicating "as soon as 24 months/24k miles". That does seem awfully aggressive, though. Anything before 36 months/36k miles will be a "show me" moment.

On a related topic, the Full Circle report does not have an item for tightening "bolts and nuts on chassis and body" which has differing months/mileages across the various schedules. I'll add that to the spreadsheet and raise the question at the next oil change which will be around 28 months/17k miles.

Do yourself a favor and never step foot into any dealership service department ever again, unless you have a warranty issue.

All you need to do is take 2 minutes to actually read your owner's manual to know exactly what type of service you need at ~15K miles.

Use an independent shop recommended by family/friends and tell them exactly what services you want done (oil change and tire rotation). Pay them $50-$75 and get on with your life.

I was looking at the US/PR non-severe schedule. It says nothing about brake fluid. which would imply not even checking the level. That appears to be an oversight.

US severe and Canada follows what you say about inspections. Interestingly, both Mexico schedules call for replacement at 24 months/40,000 km in line with your approach.

I confine myself to checking/topping fluids, checking tire pressure and wear, replacing filters, and detailing--all the easy stuff. The Full Circle report from my first oil change at a Mazda dealer shows they checked the brake fluid. That should be sufficient. I'm sure they'll be happy to recommend a fluid change if there's an issue.

Anyway, this is helpful. I'll update my service spreadsheet with a brake fluid item indicating "as soon as 24 months/24k miles". That does seem awfully aggressive, though. Anything before 36 months/36k miles will be a "show me" moment.

On a related topic, the Full Circle report does not have an item for tightening "bolts and nuts on chassis and body" which has differing months/mileages across the various schedules. I'll add that to the spreadsheet and raise the question at the next oil change which will be around 28 months/17k miles.

My mistake, you're right - it doesn't list anything for brake fluid on the non-severe US schedule. Seems like an oversight as it should at least be inspected regularly.

Do yourself a favor and never step foot into any dealership service department ever again, unless you have a warranty issue.
I use dealer shops for anything other than the basics (some oil changes, tires, batteries, filters) with positive experiences. They work on their own vehicles all day everyday. I'd prefer not to be somebody's learning experience. I can't recall the last time any of the Honda, Toyota or Mazda dealers I've used have tried to foist anything on me. And they never have screwed anything up. Actually, I can think of a couple of cases where dealers did not want to sell me something.

When I asked one Toyota service writer when he thought the purported lifetime trans fluid should be changed, he said "maybe never." I had it changed anyway. I made an appointment with a Honda dealer to check out obvious symptoms of warped front rotors. I was living in the boonies and had to drive 40 miles to get there. That service writer confirmed my diagnosis but said I'd have to make another appointment for the work. Wait, what? I said I've never heard of such a thing. He said he could do the work if I was willing to wait 2 or 3 hours. Well, that's par for the course so I got the work done. He was willing to have me go somewhere else.

That's not to say some dealers won't push a bunch of unnecessary services. When that happens, decline and then look for an alternative.

As for independent shops, I tried one recently with high ratings on the webinets, LOL, for an alignment, thinking ahead to finding a shop for an upcoming spark plug change on my Sienna, about a 4 hour job @ around $500 at the dealership. The back 3 plugs on that vehicle are a b*tch--manifold removal along with other parts. The alignment appointment was made with the son for 9:00 AM. The lot, the shop, the office were a chaotic mess. The old man was in the office, piled high with papers and boxes, and marginally compos mentis. He said they had another vehicle on the rack (that much he got right) and to come back later. When, I ask?. Oh, this afternoon some time. As best I could tell he didn't even have an appointment book. I went to Mavis Tire and got it done.

My horsing around with independents for that spark plug job is over. I'll pay a couple extra hundred bucks to have Toyota tear apart an engine compartment they are familiar with. I do know a very good independent body shop near Watertown NY, a guy who does the local Toyota dealer's body work, if anybody is in need.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what should the cost be for a full synthetic oil change and tire rotation? Since wages and benefits can vary significantly from place to place so does the labor component of a service.

In my neck of the woods it doesn't much matter where you go--the oil change runs about $65-$70, rotation $20-$25. Somebody said $50 all in. Though I find that hard to believe without a coupon I suppose it's possible.

Back