Power-seat noise

I saw somewhere reading through this subject a person using a grinder on a bolt to fashion a replacement for the short cable
Yes I remember that too. But I couldn’t find it after I did some search to the forum.

averageJoe, I just spoke to the parts person at the local Mazda dealership and he said that Mazda does not offer that part and that I would have to purchase the whole seat assembly for $1.204 plus the labor to install. So, for a $20 part I need to spend upwards of $1,500. I probably will measure the length required and have a machine shop make the part for about $200. Given that not even Mazda offers this replacement part, I will be hard pressed to buy another Mazda car.
Firstly, you don’t have to purchase the whole seat assembly for $1.204, but a new power slide unit “service part” for about $750 to replace the broken short motor cable based on the TSB posted by averageJoe in post #37.

Here’s the thread on how to fix the broken short motor cable with several options which include finding the replacement short cable from eBay (I’d also try AliExpress)、getting a cable from BMW parts、and sawing a bolt to 48mm long replacing the broken part of the cable.

2013 CX-5 power seat parts

Last edited:
This TSB mentioned a new “service part” for power slide unit is available if the original “short“ motor cable is broken or the motor mounting bracket is deformed. Unfortunately the new service part is quite expensive, around $750 each.
I haven't had the seat apart to see the "short cable" Eddie is dealing with. The suggestion to grind a bolt might be the most economical. Looks like the list of replacement parts in the TSB I posted are complete slide units. Looks like a range of part numbers. I see prices as low as $495.11 (KAY3-88-AF0) at Shop Genuine Mazda Parts & Accessories | Mazda Parts Outlet depending on which model you are replacing.

I haven't had the seat apart to see the "short cable" Eddie is dealing with. The suggestion to grind a bolt might be the most economical. Looks like the list of replacement parts in the TSB I posted are complete slide units. Looks like a range of part numbers. I see prices as low as $495.11 (KAY3-88-AF0) at Shop Genuine Mazda Parts & Accessories | Mazda Parts Outlet depending on which model you are replacing.
Actually for broken short cable on power seat motor you still can find the stainless drive shaft for $25 on eBay which is the “improved version” by some third-party manufacture to replace the broken short cable.

2013 CX-5 power seat parts

Not sure its the same issue that I had but check it out.

I have an issue that is different but also involves the driver's seat. It seems loose in some way, where when I accelerate or hit the brakes it pops like it's coming out of track or something. It's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this? 2014 model.

I have an issue that is different but also involves the driver's seat. It seems loose in some way, where when I accelerate or hit the brakes it pops like it's coming out of track or something. It's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this? 2014 model.
Have you checked the tightness of the mounting bolts?

This’s a known issue and has been discussed many times before:

2016 CX-5 Touring driver's seat rocks slightly

And this post by deeno35 exposed the weak design of using the rivets where “either the rivet is not pressed tight enough from the factory, or it is stressed out in some way in the side to side / twisting direction and once that happens it will never return to being tight.” And “after seeing this it's no mystery that many of the seats have this problem and the fix is to replace the entire seat base sub frame.”

This is an old thread, but I wanted to update with what I found after taking my drivers seat out and looking at how it is put together as this thread seems to have the most comprehensive info on the issue.

I just bought a 2013 CX-5 GT and after getting home I noticed the seat rocks. It rocks side to side as well is 'up and down'. Front to back is fine.
I took the seat out of the car expecting to find a loose bolt, but it turns out to just be supported by large rivets that are used as pivot pins for the motized seat. This one pictured below in particular is the culprit for side to side movement (there is a sister rivet on the other side).

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/deeno35/media/2013 CX-5/5b7f772d-8de7-4dbb-ac10-49302a19e7e8_zpspphfhqsq.jpg.html

This is the other side of it:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/deeno35/2013 CX-5/e14f86f2-c320-43a6-be15-0fef38d5d267_zpsd75fhp92.jpg

This rivet is meant to allow motion in one direction (rotation around the pin). What happens is either the rivet is not pressed tight enough from the factory, or it is stressed out in some way in the side to side / twisting direction and once that happens it will never return to being tight (ie only moving along one axis again). I can literally 'twist' this joint and move the seat rail with my pinky when the seat is out of the car.

After seeing this it's no mystery that many of the seats have this problem and the fix is to replace the entire seat base sub frame. One could technically drill the rivet out and use a large nut+bolt with a split and a flat washer on each side to solve this problem (ie same setup as the lower seatbelt anchor found on many cars). So far I am not desperate enough to do so, but if I hear of any crash reports where the seat failed, I will do it.

And there’s a TSB which I couldn’t find also states the remedy of this problem is to replace the entire seat base sub frame ($$$).

And this post by deeno35 exposed the weak design of using the rivets where “either the rivet is not pressed tight enough from the factory, or it is stressed out in some way in the side to side / twisting direction and once that happens it will never return to being tight.” And “after seeing this it's no mystery that many of the seats have this problem and the fix is to replace the entire seat base sub frame.”

And there’s a TSB which I couldn’t find also states the remedy of this problem is to replace the entire seat base sub frame ($$$).
Hmm. I would've thought the rivets could be retightened? Or even removed & spot-welded? Especially if you are paying yourself out of warranty.

Thank you!

I can't get a good look at both sides of this rivet from the one picture (the other is '404'). Is it possible to tighten this rivet by compressing it slightly (akin to the bucking bar and hammer for riveting)?

I can't get a good look at both sides of this rivet from the one picture (the other is '404'). Is it possible to tighten this rivet by compressing it slightly (akin to the bucking bar and hammer for riveting)?
Yeh the first picture is gone from PhotoBucket but we can see the large custom-sized black rivet circled in the second picture. These large rivets are used to support the seat and also used as pivot pins for the motorized seat. By looking at it it can’t be tightened by compressing it easily as it may not be made of aluminum like normal rivet.

F01E8CB4-D6B7-44FD-AB6F-B66724AC3086.jpeg

Yeh the first picture is gone from PhotoBucket but we can see the large custom-sized black rivet circled in the second picture. These large rivets are used to support the seat and also used as pivot pins for the motorized seat. By looking at it it can’t be tightened by compressing it easily as it may not be made of aluminum like normal rivet.

View attachment 318555
I figured the rivet is steel due to the application. Steel is malleable with enough 'percussive" persuasion.

There is a newer version of the excessive noise TSB available, that has images instead of diagrams, that may or may not be more helpful, for those attempting this repair.

Attachments

• TSB - 09-005-18.pdf
    641.2 KB · Views: 85
The power-seat noise in my car has become a persistent annoyance, especially during long road trips. It's like having a constant creaky companion that just won't stop. It's frustrating and distracting, making it difficult to focus on driving. I've even had to endure awkward moments with friends asking about the strange noise. I've tried everything to fix it, but it's still there, ruining my driving experience.

Power-seat noise can be an irritating distraction while driving. The constant rattling or squeaking can hinder the overall comfort and driving experience. It's essential to address this issue promptly to ensure a smooth and quiet ride. Seeking professional assistance or checking for loose connections and components may help alleviate the annoyance caused by power-seat noise.
Fm Whatsapp download

If I were to 🤔 speculate what AI chatbots would sound/read like, those two posts would be perfect examples of what comes to my mind. A bunch of words elegantly strung together but don't fit reality.

If I were to 🤔 speculate what AI chatbots would sound/read like, those two posts would be perfect examples of what comes to my mind. A bunch of words elegantly strung together but don't fit reality.

I've noticed a few of these lately. Doesn't help that they are usually first posts from those users they and don't follow up with other posts, or they don't seem interested in fixing the problem.

I've noticed a few of these lately. Doesn't help that they are usually first posts from those users they and don't follow up with other posts, or they don't seem interested in fixing the problem.

Good catch @HyFlyer...This is a form of what I like to call "Stealth Spam". What they do is post something that attempts to appear as a legit response (and sometimes it does at first glance) and then they edit in spam links at a later date.

In this case, the responses are similar and share a common stealth spam trait...Way too generic. Also note the usernames appear to be actual names with a number which doesn't seem common with legit accounts.

Both accounts have been "spam cleaned". A note for all Members, if you spot posts like this (or any form of spam), please use our report post feature and we will deal with it asap, thanks!

There is a newer version of the excessive noise TSB available, that has images instead of diagrams, that may or may not be more helpful, for those attempting this repair. FM Whatsapp Apk
The updated version of the excessive noise TSB with images instead of diagrams is a valuable improvement, potentially enhancing clarity for those undertaking the repair. Your insight is appreciated for keeping users informed!

Last edited:
Back