Potential New CX-5 Owner Seeking Advice

Croat23

:
TBD
I'm considering upgrading from a 2010 Ford Escape (w/95k miles) that is slowly starting to fall apart - just got word from my mechanic that the AC is in need of a $900 repair, and it needs new end links. Seems like something new break down every couple months...last Ford I'll own for a while. Anyway, the CX-5 (Touring) seems like it would be a great replacement, but I'm worried that buying a 16.5 MY at this point would be foolish, as there is limited information available as to what the 2017 and 2018 MYs will bring. I'll be pretty disappointed if there's a complete redesign imminent.

Should I kick the escape to the curb for the 16.5?

Has anyone been faced with a similar dilemma? Any advice/input to share?

There will always be another new model coming...

(dark)

That being said, the next generation of CX-5 will most likely have:

...the ALL NEW SKYACTIV motor in it (called skyactiv 2.0, but that confusingly refers to the VERSION number and not the displacement)

...updated dash and infotainment system

other possible maybes part of an all new redesign are an updated instrument cluster, and turbo engine.

we should know at the fall auto shows if we will be seeing a new cx-5 in dealerships next spring...so if you are into having all the latest and greatest gadgets, you will be waiting some time still.

Also what goes along with that is also giving up some of the reliability and dealing with first year issues, updates, glitches, engineering changes, etc..

Last edited:
From what I've been seeing online the 2017 will get a refresh and have a front end similar to the new CX-9 that was just released. I'm not sure about any major changes to standard features and or available packages though. If you prefer the new body style, hold out for the 17's to hit the dealers.

When we first started seriously shopping for the CX-5, I told my wife that we may want to hold out for the 2017 as it would be a new body style, etc. But once she saw the new CX-9 in person she was not a fan of the front end and doesn't mind having "last year's" style.

Last edited:
I'm also not a fan of the cx-9 front end so decided to pull the trigger on a 2016.5 cx5. One thing worth waiting for may be the steep discounts on the outgoing model that are sure to come when the 2017s hit the showrooms.

Think about it this way - Mazda is a small company - they are no Toyota or Honda or Ford. You have mentioned reliability issues with your ford . the CX-5 engine
Is also on the 6
Certain trims on 3
MX-5
Sold to Fiat for their 124 or new convertible which is similar to Mazda MX-5
Sells it to other manufacturers?

This engine is pretty much the lifeline of Mazda and they bet big on this. Now the new 2017 might get a better engine option like a Turbo or something. But if you want more power than that is different. If you want reliability this 2016.5 is decent.
From a value perspective I love the Touring trim. BSM / RCTA and Power Seats - for similar features in a Rav4 you would be paying 2.5k over in MSRP.
Also 2016 seems a massive step up from pervious gens in terms of Road noise. When you are not passing someone its as quiet as a $45K SUV. Fantastic value for money. Plus the sport mode alone is worth 2K or so.
Bought mine Touring with Bose + Moon Roof - apart from minor issues like Chrome reflex on side mirrors, center arm rest thats bad - this is a pretty good vehicle.

I'm considering upgrading from a 2010 Ford Escape (w/95k miles) that is slowly starting to fall apart - just got word from my mechanic that the AC is in need of a $900 repair, and it needs new end links. Seems like something new break down every couple months...last Ford I'll own for a while. Anyway, the CX-5 (Touring) seems like it would be a great replacement, but I'm worried that buying a 16.5 MY at this point would be foolish, as there is limited information available as to what the 2017 and 2018 MYs will bring. I'll be pretty disappointed if there's a complete redesign imminent.

Should I kick the escape to the curb for the 16.5?

Has anyone been faced with a similar dilemma? Any advice/input to share?
If you decide not to fix the AC on your Ford Escape at this time as the summer is almost gone, you should consider getting a new 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 now with the $900 saved. If you have fixed the AC, enjoy the AC and wait for the 2nd-gen CX-5 which should be available in late spring / early summer in 2017. Or you can wait until the new CX-5 displayed in LA Auto Show this November then make a decision. Patience is a virtue!

No matter what, I strongly suggest getting the optional Tech Package which includes LED lightings and AFS, Adaptive Front-lighting System. LED headlights、foglights、taillights、brakelights are bright, and the LED DRLs are cool and modern! AFS is unique to its class and greatly improves the safety for night-time driving!

I would agree with the others above.
Hold out either way, once the 2017's hit the lots there will be lots of great deals to be had. We picked up a 2016 GT with Tech over the 2016.5 mainly because we would be getting a better financing rate as well as we didnt feel a memory on the drivers seat and a power passenger seat was worth the extra cost (worked out to be like $2.5k more over 5 years).

Just a something to think about.

I would agree with the others above.
Hold out either way, once the 2017's hit the lots there will be lots of great deals to be had. We picked up a 2016 GT with Tech over the 2016.5 mainly because we would be getting a better financing rate as well as we didnt feel a memory on the drivers seat and a power passenger seat was worth the extra cost (worked out to be like $2.5k more over 5 years).

Just a something to think about.

Credit unions or banks dont care which car you buy, they will give you a rate based on your credit worthiness. Credit rate from dealership should be last of your concerns.

I got a 5% APR from my Mazda Dealer. In two weeks i switched. I got 1.99 soon to be turned into 1.74 from my Credit union. You do not get better rates from dealerships, if they gave u 0 or 0.9 % they won't give you the $500 off discount.

Credit unions or banks dont care which car you buy, they will give you a rate based on your credit worthiness. Credit rate from dealership should be last of your concerns.

I got a 5% APR from my Mazda Dealer. In two weeks i switched. I got 1.99 soon to be turned into 1.74 from my Credit union. You do not get better rates from dealerships, if they gave u 0 or 0.9 % they won't give you the $500 off discount.
It depends. Many times Mazda offers much better rate, 0% or 0.9% etc, on outgoing model-year cars but not on the latest model-year cars. These rates from Mazda normally is better than credit unions or banks'. It's true sometimes you can't get cash back offered from Mazda if you take Mazda's low-interest loan but sometimes you still can get $500 Loyalty Cash Back even if you take Mazda's loan. It all depends on the program at times.

... as well as we didnt feel a memory on the drivers seat and a power passenger seat was worth the extra cost (worked out to be like $2.5k more over 5 years).
Always envy others can have memory driver's seat, and 6-way power passenger seat if it matters, even in the same North American market, i.e. Canada! I really don't understand why Mazda has this kind of differential treatment to the US customers!

It depends. Many times Mazda offers much better rate, 0% or 0.9% etc, on outgoing model-year cars but not on the latest model-year cars. These rates from Mazda normally is better than credit unions or banks'. It's true sometimes you can't get cash back offered from Mazda if you take Mazda's low-interest loan but sometimes you still can get $500 Loyalty Cash Back even if you take Mazda's loan. It all depends on the program at times.

Exactly!

I got 0% straight from Mazda. There is no way I could ever go to my bank or any other credit provider and get something like that. Unless I was going to be switching all my products to them or something.
So my point still stands, hold out and get a 2016 MY and get better rates.

Do like we did and get one that's a couple years old, and enjoy the many thousands in savings. I scored 1.79/60 from my credit union, a far cry better than a dealer that offered us 4.x on a brand new CX-3.

Do like we did and get one that's a couple years old, and enjoy the many thousands in savings. I scored 1.79/60 from my credit union, a far cry better than a dealer that offered us 4.x on a brand new CX-3.

Damn 4.x is pretty rough on a new car. I got low 2 something on my brand new cx5.

Also 0% financing is BS. You pay that interest whether you believe it or not. You just get less cash back and other offers. Why do you think the commercials always state 0% for x amount of months or x amount of cash back. You just have to compare the potential interest rate if you just take the cash back and see if that saves you anymore than the 0% financing offer.

I'll second the 'exactly'... bear in mind myself and Crashed_Ice are in Canada, incentives and financing will likely vary on each side of the border. With my 2016 GT Tech purchased 3-4 weeks ago I was able to stack the summer savings cash ($500), first time buyer incentive ($500) as I had no auto finance history having paid cash previously and the customer loyalty incentive took the 0% financing from 48 to 72 months. Hard to beat that. If I recall there was no $500 summer savings credit on 2016.5s, and shorter term for 0% financing.

Exactly!

I got 0% straight from Mazda. There is no way I could ever go to my bank or any other credit provider and get something like that. Unless I was going to be switching all my products to them or something.

I'll second the 'exactly'... bear in mind myself and Crashed_Ice are in Canada, incentives and financing will likely vary on each side of the border. With my 2016 GT Tech purchased 3-4 weeks ago I was able to stack the summer savings cash ($500), first time buyer incentive ($500) as I had no auto finance history having paid cash previously and the customer loyalty incentive took the 0% financing from 48 to 72 months. Hard to beat that. If I recall there was no $500 summer savings credit on 2016.5s, and shorter term for 0% financing.

For sure, we may not be comparing apples to apples with our friends on the South side of the border.

They were also able to give me loyalty discounts (we also own a Mazda 3) and then some other stackable rebates as well as they had the "Summer Escape" promotion, but I passed on that and took the cash equivalent. It all added up to some extra savings and then the 0% over 60 months it was hard to turn down.

Damn 4.x is pretty rough on a new car. I got low 2 something on my brand new cx5.

Yeah it was pretty ridiculous, and we both even had high credit scores. That's why no deal was made that day, and I went to my credit union instead.

Yeah it was pretty ridiculous, and we both even had high credit scores. That's why no deal was made that day, and I went to my credit union instead.

That is absurd, 4's. I am currently paying 2.8% on my used CX-5, and I did a 78mo term because if you pay extra/early on a 78mo term, you can pay it off just like it was a 36-48mo term, but your effective interest-rate paid is much lower than a 36-48mo term if your credit lender "caps out" at a certain percentage, such as 2.8%.

Exactly!

Usually you lose the several thousand cash-back or something when you do that though, no? At least, that's how it worked when I sold cars for Ford. Take the "$2000 back, or go 0% APR".

Always envy others can have memory driver's seat, and 6-way power passenger seat if it matters, even in the same North American market, i.e. Canada! I really don't understand why Mazda has this kind of differential treatment to the US customers!

Because statistically we are more obese in America and we need our bulk coddled. This is why all of my Japanese cars have firmer, more supportive, narrower seats than my American cars have, as well. A perfect point was my C6 Z06 vs. my 370Z. The 370Z allowed much less room for extra in the seat, and was firmer, even though the car had much lower handling aspirations.

Also 2016 seems a massive step up from pervious gens in terms of Road noise. When you are not passing someone its as quiet as a $45K SUV. Fantastic value for money. Plus the sport mode alone is worth 2K or so.
Bought mine Touring with Bose + Moon Roof - apart from minor issues like Chrome reflex on side mirrors, center arm rest thats bad - this is a pretty good vehicle.

It is all relative but NVH is not a strength of the CX5 even the face-lift model. I have both the face-lift CX5 and the new 4th gen Sportage. Even my old 3rd Gen CRV has slightly less wind noise than the face lift CX5 at highway speed. The Sportage in comparison is very quiet when compared to the CX5.

CX5's strength is in agility and handling dynamics. If you rate NVH as top priority then I doubt you will be happy when you compared to other good examples in the same segment. I am not not knocking the CX5, NVH is just of the tradeoff when Mazda engineers designed the car. I understand the upcoming 2017 CX5 should have better NVH.

Back