Passenger-side water leak

Forgot to update this thread...

I finally fixed the leak last weekend, I had to remove the dash, the A/C evaporator, and finally the blower motor assembly. It was an annoying job but I was able to do it in a garage so at least I didn't have to deal with the wind/rain/cold/etc.

The hole was right where I felt the rust patch last time, right along a welded seam, it appears Mazda simply didn't put enough weld sealer and the rust made it through. The hole was approximately 4cm long and a little under a centimeter wide. I ended up just filling it with some black RTV; I tested it 24 hours later and it no longer leaked. I've been driving around for a week in pretty bad weather with a nice dry passenger floor.

i really like how much you contradict yourself in this thread :)

congrats on finally fixing it!

Haha, it's not so much contradiction but testing a bunch of hypotheses and failing a few times :p

However, this is totally a contradiction:
I guess I'm just going to have to live with it because there's no way in hell I'm removing the A/C evaporator.

At the time I thought I could live with it, but over the next couple weeks my passenger-side filled up with enough water to make a decent kid's swimming pool. So I bit the bullet and fixed it for good ;)

Any pics of the dash removed and possibly the back side of the dash? I'm trying to track down annoying dash rattle.

Sorry, I didn't have my camera with me when I removed the dash. There isn't much back there that could make noise, unless you have a loose wire harness clip. Luckily you can access almost everything that's behind the dash without taking it out. Just remove the the glove box, the passenger-side air bag, the radio, the climate control panel, the gauge cluster, and the steering column cover. I know it sounds like a lot but it's really easy, once you have all that out you should be able to see almost everything.

Amazingly I was able to remove the dash twice and I haven't created any new rattles :p

Sorry, I didn't have my camera with me when I removed the dash. There isn't much back there that could make noise, unless you have a loose wire harness clip. Luckily you can access almost everything that's behind the dash without taking it out. Just remove the the glove box, the passenger-side air bag, the radio, the climate control panel, the gauge cluster, and the steering column cover. I know it sounds like a lot but it's really easy, once you have all that out you should be able to see almost everything.

Amazingly I was able to remove the dash twice and I haven't created any new rattles :p

Any tips on removing the pass air bag? I know obviously disconnect the battery, unplug the connector under the dash behind the glvoebox area, and remove two bolts (not sure if their is another one or not)... The air bag doesn't want to seem to push up from the bottom without putting a great deal of force on it.

Any tips on removing the pass air bag? I know obviously disconnect the battery, unplug the connector under the dash behind the glvoebox area, and remove two bolts (not sure if their is another one or not)... The air bag doesn't want to seem to push up from the bottom without putting a great deal of force on it.

It's a bit annoying to get out, but you've done all the necessary prep. Push up from the bottom on the plastic air bag cover until you get one edge up (the front edge is the easiest) then push on the metal air bag module itself and it should pop out. Don't be afraid to use a little force, the air bag module can take it.

Be sure to wait at least 30 seconds after unplugging the battery (that's what the service manual says, I generally wait a little longer). And keep your face clear of the bag, I doubt you can accidentally set it off very easily but it's best to be safe.

It's a bit annoying to get out, but you've done all the necessary prep. Push up from the bottom on the plastic air bag cover until you get one edge up (the front edge is the easiest) then push on the metal air bag module itself and it should pop out. Don't be afraid to use a little force, the air bag module can take it.

Be sure to wait at least 30 seconds after unplugging the battery (that's what the service manual says, I generally wait a little longer). And keep your face clear of the bag, I doubt you can accidentally set it off very easily but it's best to be safe.

Thanks I have this annoying ass dash rattle that sounds like its coming from between the airbag and teh windsheild area.

two leaks

for a fact I know of one leak, second one is behind passenger seat, that one I need to find out where its coming from.

It's raining tonight and I don't have the carpet installed in my car so I was able to observe a small water leak in action on the passenger side of my P5. The leak is in the right corner of the cabin, near the floor. The water seems to come out of nowhere, it's kinda weird. Hopefully I'll be able to get a better look tomorrow in daylight.

I'm assuming this has something to do with a clogged A/C drain, right? I've looked twice on the firewall for the drain but haven't seen it, can someone tell me exactly where it is?

Is this it?
Pkme0.jpg

Just to make sure, the fresh air intake uses the same drain as the A/C evaporator, right?

Reactions: pcb
Back