P0016 / Loose Timing Chain & VVT Problem

Gatorade123

:
2007 CX7
I have a 2007 CX7 and recently had my oil changed and after I left the shop, the CEL w/ code P0016 came on. I took it to the dealer and they said that my timing chain was loose and I needed to replace the VVT solenoid as well as some other sensors. I have done a little research and it seems like this is a common problem with these CX7s. Currently I have 121,000 miles on the vehicle. What I am trying to find out is if there is anyway the oil change shop could have done something to my vehicle that would have caused this. Such as putting too much oil in the car or something a long those lines. It just seems weird that after my oil change, the CEL came on. Also, are there are warranty or recall campaigns that may be out there that I do not know about?

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

doubt the oil change triggered the CEL unless you went to an incompetent place.
There is lots of threads regarding the timing chain and VVT problem and a TSB has been issued regarding this.

Dont know if Mazda will cover this due to your mileage but its worth a shot to check with your local dealer. I would be prepared to shell out alot of money for repairs if this is the case.

Also, I just had my timing chain replaced with all associated parts yesterday. Luckily, I had ext warranty for 100k miles and have almost 82k miles now.
There was a delay in getting my car back because Mazda sent out a warranty adjuster to look over the work and take pics before they would accept the warranty.
MY service advisor had to fax all my service records for maintanence and thankful I always had my CX 7 dealer maintained.
Off course I had just changed the oil with RP synthetic 3 wks ago, dealer put in conventional oil after replacing timing chain.....smh...

Back