Original clutch

:
Protege 5
My P5 has 300,000 miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch (manual trans). Is this highly unusual, or normal for this car? There is a little slippage and a little chatter after it sits overnight. Should I be thinking about replacing it?

My P5 has 300,000 miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch (manual trans). Is this highly unusual, or normal for this car?

I've heard of others doing it.
Most of it is in how you drive your car.
I delivered pizza in my Mazda GLC and only got 25,000 miles on a clutch.
City driving and jackrabbit starts are hard on a clutch.

There is a little slippage and a little chatter after it sits overnight. Should I be thinking about replacing it?

Yeah, you're pretty much due for a new clutch.

I've heard that you can drive your car on the highway then hammer the gas. If the engine races but you don't accelerate then your clutch is slipping and it's time for a new one.

I had almost 275k miles on the original clutch when I sold it. No slipping, no issues at all. Still worked like new. Most of that was highway driving, in Florida and GA where there really aren't any big hills to speak of so I'm sure that contributed to the lifespan. But also knowing how to drive a manual trans correctly goes a long way too.

I've heard of others doing it.
Most of it is in how you drive your car.
I delivered pizza in my Mazda GLC and only got 25,000 miles on a clutch.
City driving and jackrabbit starts are hard on a clutch.

Yeah, you're pretty much due for a new clutch.

I've heard that you can drive your car on the highway then hammer the gas. If the engine races but you don't accelerate then your clutch is slipping and it's time for a new one.
OK, thanks. It's been nearly ALL highway driving, down south, and when I hammer the gas on the highway, there's no slipping at all - it takes off. So I'm not gonna panic yet.

Back