Ok, Gas Mileage SUCKS!

That's for sure! It was $4.65 when we filled up Friday night! Arrgggghhh. We talked about who got the better gas mileage when deciding which car to take, one of the girls even has a hybrid Accord. Mine still ended up with better mileage and more comfortable. Yay!

MY mpg is steadily getting worse, but 99% of my driving is in town/city, plus with the cold weather up here in my part of the world, were idling a lot more. Doesn't help that top speed is 60 km/h and average is around 34 or so.

I'm at 5k miles now, just got back on a 500 mile round trip to KC fro the weekend and still only got 27mpg. I'm jealous at you guys getting that around town, I just don't see how you're doing it. On the way out to KC on Saturday, the trip computer read 28ish when we got there and we were at 215 miles and right at half tank, when we filled up I did the math and it worked out to 26.8xx, and the computer by that time was reading 27.2. Coming back, the computer reads 28.something (I haven't looked at it since we got home), but I'm sure it will average around 27 when I fill it up. This is doing the speed limit the whole way back (70 for 60 miles or so, 65 for 100 miles or so, and 55 the rest of the way), babying the throttle getting up to speed, and not flooring it to pass anyone on the back roads. I'd love to just break 30mpg one day.

GT-AWD

I have the Sport six speed and around town average 34 mpg. Haven't done a long highway trip yet.

I have the Sport six speed and around town average 34 mpg. Haven't done a long highway trip yet.

I just beat my all time record. On the trip computer 34.5 mpg, all city driving, at an average of 26 mph. I love the gas mileage.

Previous vehicle, Chevy silverado truck averaging 15 mpg in the city. Needless to say I am happy with the bump.

Have had my CX-5 AWD since early April. Lived with the sub-par mpg initially thinking the car needed to be broken in. After 1000 miles, I was only getting 22.6mpg. Now, at 3034 (at the dealership for its 1st oil change), I'm still only getting 22.6mpg.

Seriously disappointed in this thing. Not even getting the 28mpg that was advertised.

Will likely be trading this thing in the first chance I get. :'(

I'm not sure what's going on there....Car and Driver magazine averaged 26 mpg in a GT AWD CX-5.

Sorry, but that doesn't compute. I just picked up my Touring in San Diego and drove it 565 miles home yesterday and averaged 34.2mpg (confirmed by an actual fillup). Me thinks your definition of "around town" may be broader than most!

My MPG has exceeded my expectations. I've had the car for over 1300 miles and three fill-ups and am averaging 32.7 mpg with a mix (30% city, 35% county, 35% Interstate) of driving. My odometer is under reporting distance traveled by approximately 1% which I attribute to new tires being slightly larger diameter than what the trip computer is calibrated for. Once I factor the 1% into the calculations the manually calculated MPG is exactly the same as the MPG reported by the trip computer. Considering I bought the AWD model for winter skiing, this is excellent fuel economy and I've noticed I'm spending less time waiting for the tank to fill.

There is no other AWD vehicle with so much room inside that returns this kind of mileage.

And the reported "underpowered" nature of this vehicle is a laugh. I find it really zippy as long as I'm not expecting a lot of performance above 70 mph. It's certainly no formula I car but for normal driving in traffic it's more than capable enough to get the job done and have fun while doing it.

Satisfied with my mpg. always could be better though. I think the big variable is what "city" really means. For example my first tank I was getting 28 mpg. Driving was comprised of going over 45mph for maybe 50% of the tank. On the other hand last tank I only got 22.5 mpg. This was comprised of maybe 70% stop and go and driving 25mph. Stop and go will crush your mpg. But just imagine how bad it would be with a bigger vehicle!
Maybe a good piece of info to level the playing field a little would be to list your mpg and also your avg speed listed by the display. If your avg speed is 17 according to the computer I am guessing that your avg mpg is somewhere around 22-24 mpg.

After 4,761 miles my over all average is 29.0 mpg. Just drove from Colonial Williamsburg to Charlotte NC, (331 miles) and got my best mileage so far, 32.9. Of the 4,761 total, 2,530 have been highway mileage. 17 fill ups so far.

New member here and first post. I picked mine up a week ago and I'm at 245 miles and averaging 22.1 MPG. My previous car was advertised at 17MPG but was averaging 13.2MPG. I'm not a speed demon or a jack rabbit at the light, but we do have one big factor that affects our MPG here. We live on an island. If you look on Google map, we don't have any straight or level streets here except for Waikiki. Our major metro freeway has only three lanes on each side and a recent study pegged Honolulu as the worst U.S. city for traffic at 58 hours of sitting in traffic per year. I don't think any person or deity can match the manufacturer's posted city mpg in "normal" Honolulu driving conditions. If you've ever resided or visited Honolulu, I'm sure you're aware that we're not lead footed drivers here.

I'm happy with the MPG on my new ride. It will probably snow in Waikiki before I reach that posted City 26MPG.

Another Hawai'i CX5 owner here as well!

I can also confirm this, I currently have 270 miles on my CX5 FWD Touring. I am 95% city driving, and maybe 5% highway. My current mpg is 23.9mpg (calculated at the pump). Lots of stop and go traffic along Kapiolani as well for my daily commute. The CX-5 gets better gas mileage than my 2000 Nissan Frontier (which was 16mpg if I was lucky) and is a more comfortable ride all together. So I'm pretty happy.

Aloha!

Thanks...
Yes, I finally went through a tank 2 days ago and received 385 miles with mixed city/hwy driving.

I'm averaging just under 23 mpg in the city with my AWD GT. With speed limits between 25 - 35 in my town it is about what I expected. However, on a recent trip to Tacoma I got 36.6 MPG calculated, traveling at a steady 65mph. The computer showed 37.0

Back